That player base bump in May, It appears to be gone

Just giving a small hint that may help anyone else in the same spot as you were, BOMB.

You can make low level bomb to break blocks in an aoe. This way you would find gems faster, you gonna lose some in the process since even ore blocks explode, but it’s faster than hitting with an iron hammer 6-7 time per block. A gold bomb has a big enough aoe to show more blocks without destroying too many.

2 Likes

aka Tencent

2 Likes

Usually when there is too much hype about a game, the disappointment is not so far.

3 Likes

I farmed beans when I started, it’s something everybody should do, you can get about 1k beans in 45min-1h. It’s what you say DK, it is really easy to sell things and make money. All my coils are bought and I have a few. I never hitted a wall, I was able to afford using forged tools since practically the first day.

2 Likes

Tencent might be a bunch of vile, money grubbing b*****ds, but that doesn’t mean they don’t know how to make games that, even despite their reputation, have mass appeal and pull in the crowds. And Boundless will have to compete with that.

1 Like

lol :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The same thing I did :slight_smile: I’ve been able to buy anything I’ve needed and just crafted farmed those things I really liked.

1 Like

You should have a pretty good idea of what you’re getting, since they… post regular updates of what they’ve completed and what they’re working on.

Remember those? 2017? Anyone?

1 Like

Yeah, I definitely won’t handle any personal business on the same computer as that fancy new Chinese spyware.

2 Likes

Yeah!

If anyone’s gonna steal my identity I’d rather they were British!

1 Like

Nothing particularly dangerous in that. They’ll just trade your personal info back and forth around the office and talk about what a horrible person you are.

Yes it will, you can already see people who were on a break or haven’t posted in years suddenly request a Testing rental planet!

2 Likes

Boundless apparently made it into last month’s Humble Bundle Choice as the free bonus mystery game. So hey, maybe there will be more newbies soon.

And yes, I joined in May, still here! +1 to offset some of those that left.

Thing is, Boundless has got very much an MMO flavor in its pacing, so not everyone who comes in and tries it out has the time or will to stick around for a longer term. That’s just something one has to accept. Maybe 10 players try and only 1 will find that Boundless sings to them.

First of all, it’s a sandbox, so wannabe players need to be very comfortable with self-directed goals. That can be a hurdle in itself.

Following the objective journal blindly will eventually lead into tougher grind or bottlenecks that can only be navigated by participating in the player economy or community, creating and using alts, or just being super-patient and grinding and leveling slowly. Not every player is willing to do any of the above, or ignore the objectives till later, and they will drop out once they hit those points with no easy solution they can see.

Some players need a lively, noisy community and immediate guidance to find those pockets of communities before they get bored; some players prefer to be mostly independent and want quiet and lebensraum so too much veteran interference is counter-productive.

As for what long-term players can do, one possible idea is to offer new players various non-exploitative inroads into the player economy (ie. ways to earn coins, besides beans) and encourage them to take part in the economy. No point banging their heads into a tech ceiling unless trying to play hardcore solo self-found, but players coming in from a singleplayer Minecraft-like angle are not really used to the idea of progress bottlenecks where other players can help leapfrog them over.

The other idea is guides. Lots of guides. Updated guides for 2020. Compile lists of ideas/goals players might want to take on, so that there’s direction if they can’t think of any for themselves. Compile building techniques / ideas, commonly asked questions, etc. It demonstrates life / community in the game, as well as providing guidance and direction for those who need it.

7 Likes

Totally agree with this. So many people end up coming to these forums simply because there isn’t enough info easily accessed or available at all in game. The knowledge tab helps a ton but the player-created tools and guides - color charts, damage calculators, blinksec/portal costs, forging guides, farming guides, etc etc - should all be available in game. I think this would help a ton with player retention.

My advice would be get yourself some starberry pies (keeps your energy bar up) that way you can mine without stopping.
Good especially if you’re not one shotting blocks as that pause is frustrating! and if you have enough skill points get the durability epic to make your tools last that bit longer

2 Likes

I used to do that but was going through my tools way too fast. I started using focus brews instead that way you can also use a persisting pie.

1 Like

I forge so my tools are pretty disposable haha, I actually use energy brews, teaching pies and speed hammers xD just can’t bring myself to mine without double XP anymore!!

Noob alert: what do focus brews do?? :sweat_smile:

I might be wrong but I thought the focus brew was the brew that gave you energy back. The brew you use is the one I meant.

1 Like

Ohh the orange ones are recovery brews! I think focus maybe the one that makes creatures target you? Or is that rage? I’m a bit of a buff noob haha

I think the decrease in players will definitely have been impacted by minecraft nether update, nms going on sale or game pass (4 people I know are playing that atm) and the release of last of us two. Hopefully there will be things that attract those people back in boundless soon