The #1 Most Powerful Forge Ingredient of Them All

Hey Folks,

This is Tonezone, formerly the owner of The Golden Fist forge shop and corporation.

At one point The Golden Fist was the largest forge shop in boundless. I estimate that I forged around ~10,000 items myself and had many apprentices that worked for The Golden Fist forging.

As I had gotten bored with Boundless, I started putting together all my forging knowledge and had planned to share it on the forums, but the number of active players really dwindled. The project was also too extensive and had no clear end in sight.

Now that the game is becoming active again, I have decided to take a different tact and just get to the point.

You see I have a secret.

The huge empire which was The Golden Fist was built on a quirk of forging mechanics.

I had been using The #1 Most Powerful Forge Ingredient of Them All, a lot of it. I used it in almost every recipe I had.

I stocked up smart stacks upon smart stacks upon smart stacks of The #1 Most Powerful Forge Ingredient of Them All. I probably made at least 50 MM off of this one ingredient.

It was such a critical part of the way my forging system operated because it allowed items to be forged faster and in larger quantities.

I bet after a name like The #1 Most Powerful Forge Ingredient of Them All you are expecting to find something pretty special here, Amirite? Maybe there is something that has been overlooked. Something subtle, but quite impressive.

I bet youā€™re thinking right now that this is all hype. That surely a game changer of this magnitude canā€™t exist.

Why would anyone give up information this juicy for absolutely free?

Or maybe you are thinking that I donā€™t know what I am talking about. I put my bonafides at the beginning of this post for this very reason.

Maybe you are expecting it to be made with Roadrunner feathers? If itā€™s the most powerful ingredient, it must use the most expensive items right - dems da rules.

Ok, fine, if youā€™ve come this far, I guess Iā€™ll tell you a little secret. My little secret. My biggest secret. The #1 reason the Golden Fist was able to produce such enormous quantities of forged goods.

The #1 Most Powerful Forge Ingredient of Them All is:

Boon Removal Solvent #1

What_It_Says_It_Does

Dun dun dunā€¦

Heā€™s got to be joking right? Boon Removal Solvent 1 is an amateur ingredient. One of the very first you unlock and surely not something incredible. The description is right there, and it does not sound like anything special.

But here is the thing. Boon removal solvent does not do what itā€™s description says. Here is a more accurate description:

What_It_Really_Does

Did you catch that part at the end? It spins the boon bar. It also does not remove a boon unless there is enough room in the boon bar to accept the points being removed.

Suppose the boon bar is nearly full. Using The #1 Most Powerful Forge Ingredient of Them All will remove a few points from the top boon, but spinning the bar will add on average half the bar to one of your boons. And if you get a bad spin, itā€™s the perfect time to use it!

This changes everything!

Here is a video of a recipe that uses the Boon Removal Solvent Trick. This is from a longer video about making T7 Sun and Moon hammers.

āœ‚ļø The #1 Most Powerful Forge Ingredient of Them All - YouTube

Did you see that? We put in boon removal solvent and it leveled up busy bee from 4->6.

The full video can be viewed here:

SunAndMoon - YouTube

The #1 Most Powerful Forge Ingredient of Them All can add boon points to your item. It and its brother #2 are the only items besides compounds that spin the boon bar. And it does not require stability, just vigor. #2 costs more vigor and is costlier to make, so IMO its inferior to #1.

I did not even use pastes for the vast majority of our forges because The #1 Most Powerful Forge Ingredient of Them All is faster and more efficient than stability pastes or protection pastes. At one point I estimated we were producing T6 hammers for ~750 a pop in ingredients and selling them for 6k. I used a different cheaper recipe than the one shown above. So this trick can be used for both high end gear and low cost gear.

It also saves space on your ingredients deck by having one ingredient serve multiple purposes. It can fulfill itā€™s duty of removing bad boons and also fulfill this role of adding boon points.

P.S. Devs, a lot of forge ingredients are useless. If some of them spun the boon bar like The #1 Most Powerful Forge Ingredient of Them All they would be useful. Iā€™m looking at you Boon Points Catalyst and Defect Reversal Catalyst.

19 Likes

This is my favorite forge ingredient, I quit making boon removal solvent 2 a long time ago. I found it gave me way too many random boons on the re-spin. It also frequently fails to remove due to points already on the boon bar.

I keep decon in the deck because sometimes you get to the end of your vigour and it just isnā€™t what you want. But I go through tons of boon removal solvent 1 and very little decon forging low to mid level stuff.

3 Likes

@Tonezone i knew it, i knew that must be a secret :smiley: when i was playing, The Golden Fist was my main source of forged tools, also a place where i sold resources to make money :smiley:

nice to see you again :smiley: hope you will be having as much fun after coming back to Boundless as i have after 2 years break :smiley:
see you around :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Itā€™s nice to ā€˜seeā€™ you again, I remember putting a portal directly to The Golden Fist from Giggleswick on Storis II to save having to run from one side of PS Grov Te hub to the other to sell stuff to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely my fav ingredient along with a few select others this was really a game changer when someone told me about it long ago.

1 Like

I used to always buy from you!
Your forged gear was always good and now we know why haha :joy:

1 Like

Okay i use this sice i begun with forgingā€¦

And IT was also be able to See in my Forge vids that i use boon removel 1

How should i otherwise forge 8 ss in 25 min ??? Like i showed in a vid .

But its Always good to mention IT Specially so people reconize IT .

Good Job @Tonezone :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

You guys, lol. are the best. So, today I decided to make some wayfarerā€™s tokens with magnetic attraction. I wanted 'em for goo hunting so the dumb goo wouldnā€™t fall out of my range when dangling over lava. Simple enough, except I kept geting AOE and in this case, i didnā€™t want it. And the forge was being mean. Grabbled some of this secret ingredient, kept ripping that extra boon off every time it showed up, it tossed the points into what i did want, wham, bam! LOL.
Every day you learn a new thing is a good day!

3 Likes

The #1 Most Powerful Forge Ingredient of Them All is:FORGE_RESIN_SETTING

Without Setting Resin there would not be a single forged tool to play with.

:slight_smile:

And now me being a bit more serious ā†’ Welcome back @Tonezone

5 Likes

Thanks folks. It feels good to be back.

I always wondered how many other people figured out this same trick independently. I also kept teaching it to my forge apprentices, so they may have told a lot of people about it.

3 Likes

I canā€™t thank you enough for sharing this. You should watch your back I think, may be a few contracts on your head now :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks @Elsiekelsie, I think I made at least a few enemies in the shop space. I would periodically get invites to form a cartel on pricing some item or another, but I always turned them down.

I thought it was interesting that the cheaper and simpler forge ingredients were usually better than the more complex ones. I really loved the forge, but there is a lot that needs to be addressed to make it more creative.

2 Likes

You have inspired me to take some time to look closer at the various ingredients.
I have considered my time in Boundless to be a journey. From easy to hard. I started learning the basics and as they become comfortable, I move on to anotherā€¦recently goo farmingā€¦perhaps my next step is forging.

4 Likes

I was in the game a long time before I really tried forging. I set one up early on and sort of said ā€œwell this is confusingā€ and proceeded to ignore it.

In the end, if you just want some low level tools, or the specialty stuff like liquid breakers or special chisels, itā€™s pretty easy.

As anyone could tell from the endless chatter about it, if you want to be forging higher level tools, it gets complicated. Or not really complicated, just difficult against the RNG. A lot of it is smoke and mirrors though, as mentioned here and some other places. There are so many different forge ingredients, but probably really 10 - 15 of them are all that most people end up using.

But different people have different favorites :rofl:

2 Likes