The boundless future

The skill tree…something i find to be confusing and way to limiting in all the wrong areas.

So i was just on discord talking to boundless buddies and i forget how but the topic of the skill tree came up. Me being the person i am is passionate about game design and just what works and what doesnt work. Now this is more for also a sort of plea to the developers to NOT make blocks harder to mine but to focus more on “proffesions” and develop the skill tree off actual “career” paths such as miner, lumberjack, blacksmith scientist and so forth and allow people to have two or.three professions but also allow anyone to do.anything but not be very good at it…so a person can mine up to a certsin ppint but only a miner can.make gem hammer tools and be super fast at mining say 1 hit most stone and coal or something plus get bonus amount or metals. A blacksmith could repaor tools and increase their use or value thus people paying the blacksmith to make their tools better. A warrior can kill monsters quicker. A lumberjack can chop down trees A LOT faster. A builder can craft decorative blocks and chisels last longer

Now IK that the skill tree SOMEwhat does this already but what i am saying is that it should seperate people alot more so they ate basically in one way or another forced to work together even more. Say that a lumberjack wants to mine but he doesnt have a gem tool or such to mine what he wants…he noe has three options. Find a miner to.mine for him with some sort of payment. Find a miner and have him craft a hammer with again some sort of.agreement or.find a miner store and buy some gem.hammer to buy. With these proffesioms should also come unique abilites such as the miner would be able to “sense ores” or.a.blacksmith can turn one tool into another by smelting or getting the resources back from a.certain tool

I hope this all.makes sense but basically the TL;Dr version is that skills should have more focus and we should get rid of the craftimg skill and put cettain.recipes into actual skill trees so a kiner can craft awesome hammers and.mine super quick. a blacksmith can craft all tools but only at a decent durability and repair them. A lumberjack can crsft awesome axes and chop sown a big tree with in minutes and so forth.

1 Like

I don’t want to be that guy. But the skill tree already does divide people into roles and specializations and not to the somewhat degree as mentioned.

You have to spend much more time to master something than to learn something. Let’s take a sport for example. It’s really not hard to learn how to swim, you can invest less than a month to learn and do it, but to get as far as to be the very best like Michael Phelps, you’ll need tons of investment with “small” improvements the better you’re into it. In the beginning the improvements will be very remarkable, in the end, the improvements will be much smaller but so much more significant.

Also in your suggestion, you’re forgetting the fact that you’re basically eliminating crafters from the equation. Just as talked about with specializations, being able to make everything will require so many skill points, achievable by players, but requires a big investment, making choosing to craft weapons, tools or construction blocks and props a choice for many, instead of just going to be able to craft everything. Opening the possibilities to many types of players, making guilds and social interactions that much more important.

Also find it pretty unfair to mention professions not getting better. When a miner for sure mines much faster than someone who has not gone that route, even if they are the same level and hold the same tools.

Firstly, I completely agree regarding the professionalism of characters making them adept only in limited paths. This definitely is what the developers are aiming for and it’s quite good right now but needs to up more the distinction. I hope they will implement the “feats” affecting the mastery of a path.

I kind of disagree with removing crafting skills though. I believe there are a lot of people here wanting to be a dedicated crafter and making them craft only “decent” items is a big no no for them. Also, this would greatly encourage playing solo which is definitely not what this game is aiming for.

I stated ik that it does this somewhat Dzchan but like they need to be mote distinct and again this is more to the testing patches such as when they said they were marking blocks harder on harder planets which just IMO should not happen they should be able to.mine quickly and only the planets thenselves should be harder such as more hostile mobs in caves and more lava pits…this is also my solution for the economy cause people were saying that since the blocks will be harder to hit theh will be worth more.but that just seems lile a bad idea in general and the tools themselves should be the value not the blocks unless they are semi rsre such as the gem ores or certain gleam

Lol the devs themselves said they dont want people to play solo all that much and also decent tools is what i mean the tools we have right now…not worse btw so i shpild have probably said normal tools instead…and also of they want to be crafters they can just gotje blacksmith and builder proffesions or maybe people can have three but imo three shoild be th max

That is actually what I meant. Sorry if it’s not that clear. Basically, allowing miners to craft their own and HIGH grade hammer would somehow make them independent in terms of mining. They’ll just visit towns to sells their stuffs which for me still means their very independent.

Blacksmith is fine but I don’t think it makes much sense for builder hehe. If I’ll be giving my inputs for your suggestion, I would suggest to reverse the scenario. Miners can create normal hammers and blacksmiths are the one creating the good ones (which is what the case now currently)

I don’t intend to bash your opinion but probably just wanted to start a discussion in which you can expound on it and be criticized by the community for it to be molded to a one that might be for the better.

Tools already hold value. As some tools can’t mine some stuff, and some tools are far better than others.

Blocks being harder to mine, seems to have the sense of progression the devs and many others want. Then having an increased reward might be a benefit we need to implement to satisfy players. But having less competition, different tints and more widely available resources than starter planets seem like enough incentive. We could also make rarer gleam like the red one, far more available yet still harder to get than others, from the increased health in those. Kind of like how a level 10 is better equipped to fight a level 10 boss than a level 5 would be, doesn’t mean a level 5 won’t be able to. Just that the level 10 is gonna do it efficiently, while the level 5 won’t.

Jobs are pretty much distinct in what they need to be, and similar in what they should. Imagine if I did soccer/futbol, I would be very good at doing my sport. But still be pretty decent or good at running at marathons, since it involves a similar skill. Just as dexterity improves a wide variety of tasks all the related skills share. While many of you guys are focused on specialization. Let’s not forget there will be many generalists among us. And with the coming changes to creatures and environments, etc. We’ll need to invest more points in other skills, making our job selection much more important. Having certain skills be locked under the achievement of one feat or contract seems like a much more compelling solution, than making skill choices that much more diverse. I can say the skill selection is pretty varied at the time.

Yeah no its fine but i guess what i am saying is miners and such wouldnt be independent because yes they are good at mining and demoliion. They would not be good at other thongs such as building or lumberjacking and so forth. So yes they would be very good at their proffesion but they just wouldnt have other things such as a selection of wood or glass.blocks or just anything like that

Like i said though man blacksmiths would be able to increade a tools value, repair it and craft any tool but a miner woild be great at mining such as 1 shotting every normal block and crafting unique hammers that cohld mine a 3v3 or 3v2 area or something of that nature or using bombs to excavate an area quickly

Thsts the problem though its just not fun to not feel rewarded…this will result in people just going to mine in lower level areas and such…yes rarer resources will appear in the harder planets but the normal blocks such as igneous or metamorphic should not be stronger…it is already a pain in the ass to level up and get the ability to mine certain ores dont.make it even more exhausting by making the normal blocks harder…by having speciatizations people will be forced to work together more often or atleast work on economy and shops (which also imo are WAYY to franctic) XD

You don’t need skills to mine certain ores. You only need items and tools.

Plus you don’t need to mine a ton if you desire. You can just be a trader or crafter, etc. Boundless is a game of choices in a sorta controlled environment to me. As all games have a set of restrictions. Heck, I could go around without spending a single skill point in mining and still be able to have higher end up gear by trading. That’s the thing, boundless isn’t forcing you into mining, it’s just making mining that much more compelling and better suited for miners and not just anybody, covering your desire for specialization to be that much so important.

1 Like

Boundless doesnt force anyone i just think u should feel more rewarded for the stuff you enjoy doing…me i like mining in rrally any game but in this it has become stupidly tedious in the fact it takes Forever to gather anything…plus the fact you need 20 gems to get a tool is also hard since gems are so rsre.i just think it would be nice to habe the ability to gsther quickly and Efficiently and again u wouldnt have the option of just picking one proffesion my guess is the best amount of proffesioms woild be three

And thats even after getting full hammer dex and power btw

I think the intent is good but you are applying it on different aspect of the game. If you want to buff miners, might as well just give him skills to aid him in mining BUT don’t apply these buffs as tools that miners can craft. This really overlaps on what crafter/blacksmiths can do.

Probably just me, but I always prefer to feel weak in games as it brings out the experience and makes you think and plan on your actions. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I think some of them don’t care as well if they are not good at those. Since they chose to be a miner, that’s where they are having fun. They could occasionally gather some woods and build a mediocre home for them but that’s just it. They’ll then be spending majority of their time mining again.

We should really give them enough reason to visit towns as a miner like upgrading hammers or fixing them if they wanted to be more efficient in mining. I mentioned “to be more efficient” since playing solo should not be a blocker to your progression and your experience hence they can craft the normal hammers (like we currently have).

The incentive on miners visiting towns would be to.sell their ores or such and again.people would not just have one proffesion that would be too crazy imo snd limit the game too much lets use myself as an example i would choose builder miner and lumbersmith so that way the miner and lumbersmith would help.me get building materials to.be houses for towns instead of.wasting money that i couls use on warp conduits

And yes im nor saying people shouldn.t be able to.crsft any hammers i am just saying miners.ans blscksmiths could be the only ones to craft gem.hammers and so.forth…meaning anythikg gold and under is fair game

I’m starting to think that you are a solo player :smile: What you said basically means you want to be self-sufficient in terms of building (as a builder). For me, spending coins should be encouraged (or a must even) when practicing your main profession. This would give a more healthy economy for the game. The income you got while working (practicing your profession) should be the one you use for luxuries like warp conduits, portals, decoratives, etc.

Naw im what u call a horder Xd i really hate the shop system this game has…id rsther waste hours on end getting something then spend 250 coins on one hammer XD the economy imo should not be a main focus IMO what should be is big builds and towns and building stuff with people and such.

If the shop system was more organized say a shoppiny planet then yeah but as is right now its just too chaotic and im always looking for that good deal if i do buy something

1 Like

And no warp conduits shouldnt be a “luxury” tor the fact that is one of the main things that brings people together and allows then to explore and gsther materials