The Harvest Era has brought me back full circle

Please indulge me some nostalgia and praise where I feel it is due. . .

I have such an overflowing joy after playing tonight that I am compelled to post. I can’t exactly explain to you the feeling I used to get in Boundless but it was one I hoped would never leave. Now a confession. I have not actually felt that deep feeling since way back, before aoe mining was a thing in EA. The reason for this is that I used to absolutely love cave crawling and harvesting off the walls and floor. I loved that what I found was never in mass quantity and therefore felt so valuable and worthy of my time.

Then aoe mining happened and then bombs were introduced. Then 1.0 happened and bombs were OP and tunnel mining became the thing to do. Then regen bombing happened and now the market is saturated with all things. Nothing felt exclusive to collect, and for the most part, all gathering is mindless. It was ‘cue up some streaming videos and half-play Boundless while you watch seasons of your favorite show. Wake up with stocked shelves. Repeat.’ Boundless was suffocating on its own ease-of-play. I quietly abide, for over a year. The forums go nuts with debate every day, for the most part I ignore it. No one is fully happy, folks just can’t agree. I continued to play because I love this game, but secretly I long for that old feeling.

Then Harvest Era. . .
Suddenly -
Resources on exo’s such as goo are in caverns and are spread out. Tunnel mining just won’t do. Oh yay! I get to platform around in a dark cavern with my grapple to reach rare stuffs!!! I am finding these resources and feeling special again. I realize. . . I feel like I used to feel! The exo’s are ‘world full’, everyone is excited, the resources are more specialized and taking actual skill to gather, builds are becoming diverse. There is no regenerative resource-gathering so no market surplus. It’s functioning like the Boundless I had long ago envisioned. I AM LOVING THIS!

I really tip my hat to you devs. Boundless is finding its stride and it won’t be long until this game is all the hype in MMO community. You guys and gals have not lost the vision!

17 Likes

Well said. I was thinking the same last night. I deliberately avoided most of the detail around how to farm, where to find things, optimal setups etc. So it feels very much like those first couple of weeks in boundless not really knowing what to even look for and finding cool things all over the place, then spending hours working out what to do with them.

I found some shiney pink things in a cave, made a sparkly pink block, setup a farm with lava and corruption to make more little pink orbs. Still dont know what i can actually do with them once they grow, and i love that. So many new things to discover.

Definitely feeling wonder struck at the moment.

5 Likes

Not true. You can still go to the mud farms for exo yams. But the return rate is lower than what it was before this update.

You know why i love this update.
Not because i can farm. Its because i get that feeling "ooh its x resource " .
No better feeling when you find something that its not that common.
I explore the caves now more and not just hammer myself down to mantle like i used to before this.

Exploring is big part of my gameplay… now they added more of that in my opinion.

Edit. I was actually ok with just circa having those exotic yam bushes

Cause it reminded me from good old shadow orb hunting back in ea :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Agreed.
Had a good time bouncing around the beautiful cave systems on mccrib yesterday collecting some of the new bits n bobs and looking forward to having a reason to do the same on other planets… Really adds more depth to the gameplay.
used to do a lot of resource collecting in ea and have missed that aspect.

1 Like

If the grind was why regenerative farming was allowed then they could remove regen farming and buff surface drops.

You’re right.

Aoe mining because current planets barely have any caves and regen farming hurt the game. Been saying it since I got the game.

1 Like

Yeah, yesterday was absolutely a ton of fun! :smiley: Exploring GORGEOUS exos, hunting goo with others around, seeing so many folks… annoying folks with bad goo puns… :wink:

1 Like