Thoughts on Local Universes

Not interested in locals myself but more options the better.
Also, if they become a popular, they could be a great breeding ground for new ideas and mechanics that could make their way to our mmo 'verse.
That was my optimistic take but my more pessimistic thought is that this might be the path for them to start shrinking the mmo side (not that I think this was the initial intention for creating locals ofc) with the current change of focus.

It was decided via UI. Unfortunately, my access to calls went south as the BG3 stuff happened so I never could dive more into the technicals around the other option. Plus obviously their ability to develop went very far south. :). Mostly the concern with the ā€œlocal portalā€ option (at least at the start) was around managing dead connections for offline worlds and how to track that. Also they would have had to create a new portal size like they did for Creative so they could easily link things as well as a character copy like happens in Creative. I just think the lack of development resources probably killed the idea since I couldnā€™t provide enough true ā€œvalue in the emersionā€ aspect of my argument. Much of the local environment still uses MMO infrastructure and DBs.

As disappointed as I am I can understand and respect the dev time and just pray that maybe one day it happens since I believe it would be the best way to help keep MMO relevant like the links to creatives were. Iā€™m pretty sure creatives werenā€™t going to be linked to the portal networks originally until we pushed or I had the conversation that they must beā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s just going to be me on the server. I just like to work towards things so Iā€™m not making creative worlds. But I also donā€™t want to endlessly have to chase meteors for the rest of my days :laughing:

1 Like

Donā€™t mistake my concern as a negative for local universes I hope that they do allow us to make our own version of the MMO where I could link my universe to the server @ardele created or one that someone else created. I would hope things like that would be possible ā€¦ and if you could daisy-chain 5-10 servers via a central server (if I recall that was the plan) I find that to be the more impressive feat than just allowing people to play locally.

I look forward to it, but I do worry that when and if they do come out that we may not see any tweaks or changes to local universes for quite some time. Iā€™ll stay hopeful though :slight_smile:

1 Like

What difference do all your lucents matter if you are the only one to see them?

1 Like

Well in the defense of @ardele here. The server would have some friends on itā€¦

Maybe not youā€¦

For me, as mentioned in another post, itā€™s the ability to jump in/out when I am able to without having to worry about beacon timers and the like.

Iā€™m also looking forward to being able to change a lot of the arbitrarily long crafting times, so that I can continue to play without needing to log off while waiting for materials to build with.

Most of the people in my guild havenā€™t played for quite some time (some for near on a year), so the local universes may actually get us back into playing again. If that happens, I know a few of us will likely try combining whatever resources we can muster to create our own universe where we can play together again.

3 Likes

Yeah, but I wonder how custom you can take it? When they were first talking about the sovereign release and small worlds being in it, I was hoping for a really small world being available, such as a 10-12 region one.

Iā€™ve been doing a lot of messing around on testing with the local universe stuff. Smallest world you can make is the exo sized one.

1 Like

Local would be nice if youā€™re somewhere with no internet connection, to screw around in creative

2 Likes

Will still need internet to connect with steam to verify game ownership at least

5 Likes

Itā€™s @Soju-VB

2 Likes

I know this is an old topic, but Iā€™m curious as to what people think now about the local universe. I finally have a computer that can run one and itā€™s kinda fun to create worlds to explore, hunt, and build on.
Though my recent play on local universe, I noticed something weird. I planted some earthyams and they grew to maturity in seconds. Anyone else notice this?

I did not test any planting, buy I am pretty sure you can adjust all of those timers for your local universe.

Well, there you have it, shorter crafting and growing times ā€¦
ā€¦ people were asking for. :wink:

I personally dislike the thought of local universes as they will totally remove what made me love Boundless and stick around as long as I have and that is the community. Take our debatable size of players and make that zero or the number of you friends that play with you and there you have it.

It would feel much like going to a football game or concert and sitting in a large stadium made for 50,000 people and only have 10 people there.

It would be fun to tweak things for a few, but tweaking things too much or having access to every block on 3 planets just makes it creative in my eyes.

However, if you could connect many servers together that may be great.

3 Likes

I like them and think they will be helpful thing overall for the game. Iā€™m not happy they went with another menu system over a portal system (like we have for creative) which I really pushed forā€¦ I think it was dev time that ended up causing it to not happenā€¦ I fear that without portals we will get more segmentation to local universes where people just donā€™t visit the main Universe.

The key thing is to allow people to explore and have easy access to see the beauty that is Boundless. Anything that add friction to that exploring is bad in my view.

Either way at this point I think local universe and self hosting was just a natural evolution of the game especially as things played out like they did with the game and its retention. Maybe if we have a super vibrant online experience Iā€™d say local shouldnā€™t happenā€¦ but with how we are I am ok with anything to keep it alive.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious as to how. The interface is not exactly user friendlyā€¦

Not sure, I only played with some of the settings like the forge. I know many of the ā€œsettingsā€ menu screens are empty. Not sure if they just have not been added yet or if it will be up to the player to create them. It might also be adjustable via the LUA window.

I thought someone was playing with crop speeds when local universes first came to testing, but I could not find it searching the forums.

1 Like