Thoughts on plots

I agree with Krollbar - it’s not so much that I don’t have a lot of plots, it’s more that it’s not really in line with what I expected.

If I want to build a 100x100x10 plot castle that’s 10,000 plots. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable expectation for over 2000 hours in. And that would mean every single one of my plots goes into that castle. No other builds anywhere else. And no cosmetic purchases, tints, skill pages or extra characters. I can’t enjoy those addons unless I give up on my plot dream (in this hypothetical).

My plot grinding will get me there… someday. But not everyone has millions of coin to blow on grinding plots, and I want everyone to have fun!

(I currently have about 2500 plots tied up in my mall I believe)

6 Likes

Sadly, I’m having a hard time getting back into it. If they released private/rental planets today, I’d be all over it. Since I’m still in the middle of big plot issue, I’d say I’d like access to more plots at my 2000+ hours in. I would not be in this mess if I’d had the ability to plot the entire area I wanted.

1 Like

I am a little mixed about it.
Simply because yes you never have enough plots.
But that is when you need them…

When you start out it depends on how fast you lvl for a smal and useful build.
The thing is we all started small and in some (extreme) cases (like me :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:) you will end up moving (every thing) to a better location.

Current plot system has it flaws granted but don’t think you are limited by the game but limited by time spent playing in game.

So I guess start small and make sure before you move you have enough plots to cover the bottom layer of the wanted area. And you can go up layers after while you build because you level anyway.

A lot of the issues facing plot wars seems to be having neighbors either building too close or building on land you wanted to keep looking natural.

Reservation plots are supposed to solve that because it stops others from plotting, but also means you cant build there without spending additional plots to actually claim it.

The issue is the amount of area reserved plots can protect is too little; people got around this by making 2 plot wide corridors to reserve a much larger area, essentially multiplying the number of plots. The devs didn’t like this and banned that usage.

I’m not saying that system should be reinstated, but there needs to be a method of reserving a larger area to prevent others plotting there.

The solution:

A new type of purchasable plot. One that costs a fair amount less (say 1/4 as many cubits) then normal plots, and allows you to reserve an area to stop others from building there. The main difference here is, this special type of plot cant be used for building, only reserving. People can still mine resources in these special reserved plots and those resources still regenerate.

This way, people can more easily protect a larger area without abusing a system or stopping others from gathering resources.

6 Likes

I would be able to give a better answer if I knew a few things:

1. Do you burn through plots because you want huge builds?
  2. Do you know how to level fast?
  3. How many levels could you get in a 4 hour session?

I personally think it’s quite easy to level. It’s just about how enjoyable that is. So maybe, based of this topic, the amount of plots you get isn’t the issue, but maybe the amount of ‘enjoyment to XP’ ratio.

I know if hunting was more enjoyable and gave decent xp, I’d love for that to be my go-to source of xp. But strip mining for hours, sadly, is the fastest way to level :confused:

4 Likes

I asked for a landscape plot back in Sept 2017. Didn’t get added. Currently I’m fine with the new system we have now. I think we need to solve the plot conflict issues and settlement fights before we look at plot number changes.

1 Like

I had the same idea as vansten back in the day. Cheaper reservation plots.

Leveling up is fairly easy to do. I have a friend that levels up 3 to 5 times a day just mining. If someone wants to level up quickly you can use teaching pies and mine on a t1 planet and craft the rocks into stones and refine them all day and then throw the refined rock in the chryosminter all day to get enough experience to level up quickly and make money doing it.

1 Like

I usually mine and craft rock into stones and even build with marble or higher blocks worth of prestige and easily get 3 to 5 levels a day myself. It’s just that the grinding process is what drags people down and makes it seem slow. Also crafting rocks into stones and eating a teaching pie helps me. At 24 crafting tables eating a teaching pie gets me almost 75k experience in one go. Doing that at least twice a day is 150k out of 200k needed to level up. Between mining and crafting stones twice gets me enough experience to to level up every 2 hours. If I spend 10 hours I can get anywhere between 5 to 7 levels I’m one day if I was willing to grind that day for levels.

Maybe they can add special week events every few months where they increase the plots gain per lvl by 10% to 20%

1 Like

And cheaper ‘get rid of trees’ plots when you’ve build below them and removed the bottom.

I love Trung, I love those really tall trees, but if one is in the way it takes a gazillion plots that I could have been using to fill the gaps in my snake plotting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Would be nice if we could enhance a plot to not regen above it.
Not protected but just stops natural regen.
(Bomb it and its back)

1 Like

Which costs, say, a double plot…

2 Likes

I know of several people that would like to build some things, but can’t due to plot limitations. (I assume you have hit that wall, as have I)

I think the problem with giving more plots is that the regular people are playing on the same servers as people that have 100%-200% bonus plot perks (earned, but still). If they give players more plots, it’s only fair to give these players more too.

Right now, people are stepping all over each other with their plots. More plots given to the current playerbase without it coming from new players would probably make certain problems worse imo. Could be wrong, who knows.

Personally, I’d love it too if they’d just give us more plots or “earn double plots and rewards weekend”.

2 Likes

Needing more plots is a never ending thing. It doesn’t matter how many you have, you always need more. Our goals are always changing and our plans always grow. I currently need to farm out around 38k plots to finish my builds. I’m sure if I make it that far, I’ll be in the hole for even more.

There are currently ways to self farm 10+ levels an hour. If you run a shop and put your money towards leveling you can add to that. Honestly, its very easy to level and gain plots. It just isn’t that enjoyable if you are forcing yourself. Then again, maybe we are looking at the problem wrong.

Maybe the plot problem isn’t so much a plot problem for many, but a community problem. Many of us here have thousands of plots tied into what are essentially community builds. Maybe we are all stuck in the do it all ourself mentality? Maybe its time to start working together and develop real communities in the game to help include people and free up some time and plots so we stop burning out. Then again, this line of thinking could be completely wrong. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

In my opinion XP is tied too closely to mining and crafting. If you enjoy any other sort of pursuit, you get massively nerfed XP compared to your friends. I’d like to see a balancing done which increases XP from gathering, hunting, and a little bit for building.

I work a lot with wood, foliage and dirt. You get literally 0 XP for placing these objects, even though it takes just as much work to make a pretty wood build as a pretty metal build (or more, even). Others work with other materials - sand and water are nice, rocks are nice, gravel is nice etc. But unless you build with fancy stuff you also get nerfed XP.

I also find it disappointing that grinding plots is such a thing. Yes, people will always want or need to do so, but it shouldn’t be so un-enjoyable.

I just want a balancing in this area.

5 Likes

That has been an area the devs have been looking at for a long time, but I think they may want to fix or add some things before they try to balance activities.

Maybe we should create a brain storming thread on ways to possibly balance xp gain across different activities.

Edit: I know there have been many threads over the years, but the balance has changed since then. We also may have new ideas from new individuals.

3 Likes

its funny you mention that as eventually i want a big medieval castle but i worked out that its gonna take atleast 700 up to a thousand plots and i currently have 235 so without dropping a few hundred £ on them it’s gonna take awhile,while i do feel limited at mo the plus side is A) thank f*cking god i dont need to farm them mats up right now (i’ve not even been back 2 weeks barely so not like i’m sitting on a few hundred k of stone+) B) i’m not actually that fussed,not really trying to play get it all asap.

what on earth are you building for 38k plots!?

same here,trung is one of my favorite <T5 planet hence why i live there,i couldnt find any other planet that had the sheer size of mountains trung has.

1 Like

I am doing a fantasy dome on top of a spacecraft. The dome is 50 plots in diameter and goes to sky ceiling. Its going to be an extremely long term project. The spacecraft will in a circular depression under the ground level that goes to mantle. Should be finished in 2030. :wink:

5 Likes