Thoughts on the impact of a creative ecosystem

@diannetea

1 Like

Sadly @lucadeltodecso has given an explanation of why this is not currently feasible. If they were to put a hard requirement in for the shape of all creative ↔ survival portals it would help to overcome this.

Right now the sanctum seems like the best bet for always returning to your last visited spot when transitioning between the two systems.

1 Like

I can only speak for myself, but I am extremely happy for the decision to blend the worlds. Knowing how i have played games in the past, the moment we owned our own server, we never tried to reconnect to the outside player base.

The ability to go back and forth, will keep the community connected. It will give artists the opportunity to work without the grind, that many would never even play the game and grind in the first place, as well as let everyone see and test the limits of boundless.

Yes some will leave the official universe, but there are many who enjoy the show of progress and work, and the economy, so there are many who may play with the creative worlds, but still focus on what is earned and displayed officially. As well as hopefully when drawing new players in with creative, they will slowly work in the official universe to make their mark as well.

Economy/wealth and personal/guild status, matters to many people, and they will show that by working in official vs creative, and i know many who do not care at all about creative, as well as some that will pack up and go the first chance they get.

I myself look forward to see how the universe grows, and hopefully grows the player base as well.

11 Likes

It really is an elegant solution… Remember how we were also having a massive debate about bonus plots for sovereign worlds? That entire issue fell off of the radar with just a single forum update.

Both sides got what they wanted, without really conceding anything to the other camp.

2 Likes

Not that I’m doubting you but I’ve asked this recently and didn’t get an answer (buried in some thread so am not surprised it was missed) then, but you remember them saying something like that? Because the way I look at portals I can’t imagine why, probably because it’s implemented differently than I think it is, but still.

Could you link me to where they said it’s costing them?

3 Likes

I don’t think I will, but say that besides getting a Sovereign World I will also get a Creative one. I most certainly would love to have a portal from Nova Golda to both of them and not have the Creative one hidden away in some fashion.

I do get your concerns tho that if a new player goes thru that portal and sees things they can never understand how to accomplish it it might turn them off, but that is already happening now!

As a new player they walk slow, build slow, gather slow, craft slow, etc. They have no idea how fast it can go once you’ve played 100’s of hours so I’ve had plenty of new players wonder how I build everything by myself or how others have done it.

Creative might make this worse, it also might not, no crystal ball so can’t be sure.

All things that people suggest for Creative Worlds to look different are all fine but if a new player does not understand why a portal has a different colour they will not think “oh, it’s creative”. Especially since the entire GUI has a completely different colour already to show everyone that it IS creative already! If that is not enough then anything else won’t really help either.

I would not be a fan of having it be too separate. Why not? I don’t want it to be hidden, I want people to see what I’ve done with a Creative World if I ever take one.

1 Like

So, for me, whenever I start playing a game on creative it ruins the game for me. It happened on MineCraft, Ark, NMS (though I’m getting back into that) and Conan Exiles. Playing God in a game makes it hard to get back into not being God. But that’s just me. I don’t wanna ruin Boundless for myself, so I’ll be staying away from creative :blush:

Though, I am super looking forward to other people’s creative builds!!

5 Likes

Ahh, yeah, thank you, I do remember that one, I remember then asking about the size of a portal and it’s costs and didn’t get a definitive answer on that part.

So yes, it takes up more server time of each different server if a player runs thru 5 portals instead of just 1. So having tons of free portals can be a bad thing.

Problem with this statement is that having a portal itself is not computationally costly, it’s the use of it, hehe.

Since it’s costly for the server that the portals go to and if that portal goes to a Creative Server the costs should already be 100% for the renter of the Creative world.

I think the best solution to all this portal business is just allowing portals from Sovereign/Survival worlds to Creative ones but they need to be fueled from Survival/Sovereign side. Trying to leave thru another portal on another creative world to a survival type planet should either be blocked or make you end up at the initial entry point.

On Creative worlds portals to and from other Creative world destinations can be free. This will not cost a Survival player anything, the servers running those creative planets are dealing with the compute costs which is what the players paid for already.

Having to add anything to show it’s a Creative besides putting it in the middle of the screen in a huge font will not help much since the whole UI has a diff colour already. If that’s not enuff, then besides actually telling people in a way that is hard to miss won’t really help either…

2 Likes

The concept of creative and survival is now a completely understood concept among players.

Having creative planets won’t detract from survival planets even with easy transitions. I played on my MC servers where you could /creative and warp to the creative world and play with friends. Cool builds were there…but they were creative. Never saw anyone compare them.

The entire new inventory and hud changes make it pretty obvious you on a creative world.

People rarely compare apples to oranges. Survival builds and creative builds are unlikely to be compared…after all you can just go to a creative world with your friends and build your own creative build.

On the other hand, having creative worlds connected will make it great to have fun and interesting builds shared in an expanding universe of many possibilities.

Lets keep Boundless moving in a Boundless direction :wink: and not unnecessary red tape to a system designed to remove the red tape.

“Tired of the crafting and endless toil of boundless? NP go to a creative world…just open up your sub menu, leave the game, select the universe…relog…type in a new password, log into your new world with a separate character and then HAVE FUN!”

Lol no thanks :wink: a portal is fine.

4 Likes

Totally understand. For me, even if playing on an easy or easiest mode, as long as I’m still having to earn it somewhat and it isn’t God mode, gives me a lot of satisfaction. In NMS, all I really do these days is fly around, explore and screenshot. You’d think I’d really want to be on creative for that, but it just takes something away, having it all freely handed to me. I COULD see a bit enjoying testing how things might look in creative, but a ton of the fun and rewarding feeling of Boundless is earning my way (though I have gotten some nice gifts from other players, haven’t earned everything I have I admit!).

But just like you, really looking forward to seeing what others create in creative! :slight_smile: And taking screenshots of it all. :wink:

3 Likes

This is why I feel DK’s solution is the best one. Players can craft a bed in the tutorial so even early on, players find out they can enter creative whenever they want by just finding a bed or using their own bed. Not only that, but it makes perfect sense logically in the universe why you suddenly have god powers when on certain worlds. I could see plenty of players tired after a day of grinding in survival, coming home to see their bed at their house and deciding to use the bed to actually relax in the dream realm for awhile and explore creative worlds that people have created.

1 Like

That suggestion limits the access to new world rules to an in game item transition vs the already established means of transport…portals.

Creative is the first of new worlds with different rules. They will not be the last.

There has been talk of adventure worlds, dungeon worlds…there are already worlds you can’t plot on…and it doesn’t break the experience.

Planets with special rules will be a staple of boundless, and Creative will be just another ‘type of world’ in the rear view mirror a year from now.

11 Likes

Exactly everything you said :blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

I think you’re a bit ahead of things here. I just had to explain that creative isn’t the same as “local sandbox” any more and some of the differences between creative and sovereign to a player the other night, a long time player who has also long since abandoned the forums.

This is a bit of an exaggeration here. But fair enough to make a point. Still “go to the sanctum and use the creative portal” isn’t nearly this extreme.

I suspect most of these world ‘types’ will be user-created experiences consisting of sovereign or creative worlds. If we get enough tools to make these happen some of them will even happen on public worlds. But the more granular permission types on the rental planets are certainly going to help.

As far as things promised or teased by the devs, we’re getting there with permanent and exo worlds, and rentals coming in sovereign and creative flavors. With ongoing feature development that will cover pretty much everything I’ve read about. Just conjecture but I suspect titans will come with an exo-like arrangement.

However they work it out, this will hopefully be true.

I doubt it’s the size, or really the distance (blinksecs) that matter. In an idle state it’s probably just storage to keep the portal connection “ready”. As soon as it becomes an active portal there’s a connection between the servers with both a memory and a computational cost on both ends.

Each open portal is sending updates and rendering information for several chunks so it’s an actual client connection to the server with the attendant resource usage for the world that user is on, and the world(s) at the other end of any open portals.

That’s a bit of a side track though, and as mentioned earlier in the thread due to some people mentioning free fuel for everyone to make things ‘fair’ is to definitely agree that these costs need to be accounted for in the cash price of renting a world.

It may be an important part of the pricing discussion but with that as a given it doesn’t really change the discussion about methods of exploiting unlimited free (no oort cost) portals or how it affects players in the survival ecosystem.

I mean on my part, I’m one who sees “I paid for that” as perfectly fair. I’m not really against most things that are seen as P2W situations :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a question, this was on the top of my screen while I was typing. This states that you could “/creative”. I never played minecraft at all, does this indicate that there’s a console type command or interface change you have to make to basically switch to creative mode?

Minecraft has a console, for a long time it was pretty basic but currently it has way more tools built in.

2 Likes

I’m mainly curious whether that was just a strange way to type something out, or if it indicates that there’s a specific action that a user typically has to take to enter creative mode when playing in a mixed minecraft environment.

Yes you can type /creative /survival and the player name to change their game mode.

All command can be especifically blocked by and admin in server tho

2 Likes

All right so the player has to make a conscious decision and take a specific action, each time. That’s what I was trying to clear up. Thanks @Cuetzpalomitl

1 Like

Back in the old days of Minecraft I remember there were servers with mods that allowed the creation portals to other maps or worlds so admins built hubs and you could use those portals to travel to survival, creative, and other players made modes.