Thoughts on the impact of a creative ecosystem

PREFACE
Jk :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There’s a whole spectrum of what I agree and disagree with in your post but I just want to put a positive twist on this quoted bit. Take this sentiment as my reply to the whole post…

You know about half of the player base would probably disagree that there’s “NO” embodiment of effort. You wouldn’t tell Van Gogh or the big homie Bob Ross that their work doesn’t show effort because they had unlimited paint :man_shrugging:. A sick build is a sick build to most of us and the effort is in the creation. Like real architecture, the architect gets the award, not the steel fabricator or the quarry that mined the stones used in the concrete panels. Anybody can mine stones. Not everyone has a mind to draw a skyscraper that can make it into one of those sweet coffee table books.

For the sake of this point, I’ll temporarily agree that if I’m ONLY building on creative it can be seen as more of a separate hobby than playing the game… but the beauty in that respect is that I now have over 1000 hours per year of would-be grinding that I can spend on my 2nd and 3rd favorite facets of the game- exploring and hanging out/talking to people.

Creative mode takes the pressure off those of us who don’t want to come home after 10 hours of working at a computer and having to work another hour or two on average before/during our time spent on our ‘other hobby’, building. If I’m spending 4+ hours in the game on a dailyish basis regardless (which I am), I’m only building for 2-3 hours before my creativity needs a recharge. I’m very happy that the extra hour+ can now go into playing the game as an mmo rather than going off alone to a planet to mine rocks.

For the record, I personally still have a ton of plans on survival worlds and just want to convey what I think will be the appeal for creative-only players as well as players like me who will at least get the same ratio of relief that they decide to dedicate to creative mode.

6 Likes

I don’t know exactly what people mean when they say this, but just speaking for myself…

I may really want to create lots of stuff, but I don’t want to do it in a bubble. I read enough of your manifesto to remember your comparison to MagicaVoxel, and I know for sure that THAT experience would feel empty to me. I would still like for people to be able to experience the things I make, and to be able to interact with them to some degree. I expected that coming into this game, and I’d be completely out of my mind if I told you that I hadn’t anticipated it or that I never wanted it even after I chose to become a backer.

It’s just that… Ehhh…

But now it looks like I’ll be able to do what I love 100% of the time and still be able to share it with people in the way that I always intended. At first I thought I might have to suck it up and get a sovereign world while continuing to grind a bit… BUT THEN… Then came the announcement about creative worlds being linked up.

As grumpy as I’ve been about this game in the past, I think they finally wrapped my entire wishlist into one package.

7 Likes

People want to build pretty things and then have people come see those things @Nightstar

Basically the same as survival people

#creativearepeopletoo

I think he’s just concerned with it being seemless as it could have a big effect on motivations for builds if it’s too seamless, not really in its existence. IE: Say someone wants to build a giant castle with decorative oortstone highlights. If I came across a build like that, I’d be thinking “Wow, holy christ this person must have taken months to get all of this set up and it looks great.” But if I saw the same exact build in creative, I’d think “This looks great, it probably took so many days to build and chisel.” They both look great, but if someone could go check out a build just as good as mine in a seamless way, my own work would likely look much less impressive. I’d definitely lose some motivation. To combat this type of thinking that many players would inherently be feeling this way, accidental or not, there would definitely need to be some clear distinction between the survival and creative areas.

6 Likes

Any time I see Oort blocks Immediately think that’s a waste of oortstone(even tho I use them sometimes too, still was a waste and still regret doing it):sweat_smile: also I’m sure there’s plenty of people who also don’t care how long a block takes to craft when they all can also just be bought. And there’s things you can do to make 50k-100k+ an hour to go buy said blocks. No one really knows if someone took the time to gather and craft everything or just straight buy it and build with it.

3 Likes

Speaking from personal experience, I can definitly attest to this.

It can be hard to find motivation to build after seeing so many amazing builds which make someone feel “wow that is amazing, I could never build like this”. I fight this feeling by avoiding the screenshots thread (lol)

I feel the seamless transition to creative worlds might compound this problem - personally, even something as simple as having “(planet name) - Creative World” that pops written specifically in golden text might help fight this.

4 Likes

I was with you till there

I hate those popups and think they should all be removed

An alternative idea to help separate creative worlds might be to have any portals that lead to such a world be a unique color that can be associated with such worlds (like how chill worlds have blue portals, toxic worlds have green portals ect…)

1 Like

If portals to the creative worlds from survival HAS to be a thing, I’d say something like a unique rainbowish color to the portals to signify creative and/or a warning similar to “Caustic 1 Protection Required” except it saying “Creative World” in rainbow text (or some color that would look nice) when you’re aimed at the portal, would be quite nice.

Buying is still a lot of effort. I’ve been saving up to buy a bunch of advanced power coils and it’s taken me like 2 weeks to get the amount that I need. In order to buy blocks from someone, there has to be someone at some point that worked to make that item that then sold it.

1 Like

Hey! I typed that idea out, then I was busy typing to the other person when you sent your response. xD

1 Like

I think creative accessible only by warp is probably the best way to keep things separate AND make survival builds more impressive

I also think that we should talk about the high inter region costs. It’s really good for me, since I live on USE and EU, the populated regions, but it’s really really unfair to people whose homes are on AUS servers IMO.

This is probably going slightly off topic, but I’m never a fan of when games re-use certain sections of the UI, so when part of the game is using that part of it, other UI elements are blocked from also using it. Like how after going through a portal, for like 7 full seconds until the popup goes away, I can’t see any portal info like what planet it goes to. I’ve noticed this with a few different things in the game where one UI element blocks another and it’s so annoying.

2 Likes

I guess cause I know how easy it can be to make millions of coin I just don’t see the effort in also buying them. Pretty much everything I’ve used to build with since I’ve started(early release ps4) has been bought. Very few things I’ve actually crafted. Even when I used to forge I bought the hammers over making them myself. Even tho I had the mats to do so. I don’t like wasting my time crafting things tho. The most I’ve ever crafted I think was when I used to have a ornate gleam chest store. Good coin in that market too. But I hated the crafting so stopped selling it. Lol well I’ve rambled enough and sorta off topic to boot

Not only that but interaction is blocked. Can’t open doors, can’t open chests, can’t check shop stands! I hate it!

1 Like

I kinda understand their reasoning for that likely has something to do with how the portals work and it was probably implemented to hide some exploits with permissions or something, but those dang popups stay so much longer than even the no interraction effect.

I thought the popup was purely aesthetic. Is it hiding something?

I noticed this a lot while portal hopping cause I hopped through, it wasn’t close enough, came back, and I couldn’t check if the next portal was on planet, having to wait ages.

1 Like

IMO this post was fully on-topic.

You still had to, by effort or guile, come up with millions of coins, and those millions of coins funded or encouraged the efforts of an untold number of other players. In your case I know that plenty of that was done before the minter even existed.

As in any economy, the coins do represent value, and different people find their value in different places. But it’s still all there. Every block in your builds was mined, harvested, farmed, or crafted by someone and represents the entire material and labor chain associated with that particular block.

This is different (FFS not better or worse) than what people will have in a creative ecosystem.

I feel like a lot of people are missing the point that I’m fully advocating for people to be able to have a 100% creative experience and share that with others.

I’m not for any solution to the current issues that would ‘force’ creative players to traverse the survival universe at all. I feel that a single point transition serves this integration, with minimal disturbance to survival at the same time as more fully enabling a “complete creative experience”.

5 Likes

I can’t speak for other people, but the biggest reason I don’t agree with your reasoning or conclusions is that while you say that you’re a full advocate of the creative experience, in the very next paragraph you also describe creative as a “disturbance to survival”.

It just comes across as: Yes, you should totally have what you want… somewhere else. Far away from me where I don’t have to see or acknowledge you. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Anything added to the game is a positive thing. A lot of people want creative. I’m sure a lot of parents will get creative for there kids so they know they are safe from weirdos. Which is reason enough to add them. And some people may create some beautiful builds. It will have zero impact for me so I’m still full steam ahead on the permanent planets. Just got another 6 months gleam club that I didn’t need. Lol. See you in game. :v:

9 Likes