Threads should not be locked because OP asked

As a newcomer to Boundless it makes me mad. I need information and it leads to nowhere because its locked or closed

3 Likes

Make another post…that will work :rofl:

2 Likes

i kinda feel same way.

im ok with it if its just trading topic or so.

When it comes example to “future of boundless” threads that theres like 10 alrdy… cause one after another those get locked for various reasons.

mainly i would like to OP s have some sort of understanding where they get their foot into…
with this kinda community… even we can get over 200 posts just about speculations etc.

usually topics get locked cause OP asks or someone has “crossed a line” whatever that means in here… i think nowadays you just have to write something with specific username to get people mad.

As said above this doesnt rly help newer players either who actually are using this site for info.

6 Likes

Just Post and Post Just

Host what happened to your face

3 Likes

Code of Conduct

Includes: no flaming/shaming other players, staying on topic, & no spamming (not posting the same topic over & over)

There is a thread for anyone to post feedback, grievances, etc. It is not hidden & it stays up.

There are many factors that go into deciding to close a thread, or other action, if needed. You are welcome to post on the forums, but there are rules. Sometimes people say there are too many off-topic comments and they can’t find comments/answers related to the thread & sometimes people say let them stay. :woman_shrugging:

Discuss the game & the features - the good, the bad, the fun, the builds, hunts, trades, etc. Go Off-topic, PMs or Discord for anything else. If you start verbally attacking each other or sabotage a thread, it will be locked/removed/etc. The admins might take additional actions, as needed.

A lot of newer players here won’t know who he is/was, but I can’t say it any better myself than Steggs did:

7 Likes

I didn’t notice its original message much, yet find it amusing that it’s the most necro’d thread on here.

1 Like

I’ve sent them a message regarding that thread. I don’t know why the auto-mod hasn’t closed it by now. I might have missed it being manually opened or being kept open for some reason (it does seem to bring joy/raise moral a bit when people post on it.)

Edit: the necro thread will not be closed. Please use it responsibly. :wink:

4 Likes

Then don’t close it everyone likes it and as the guy who owns it says it shouldn’t be closed by request of op
That came back to bite him in his butt very fast

1 Like

What turns you off playing Boundless? - #2991 by Rydralain … 2865 replies…

once a post goes over a certain length I just banish it to mute because no one is going to waste that much time reading a post that long… its just a chat room for people that don’t want to use discord.

I would bug some one as to why doesn’t the auto mod close any of the other 1+ years old posts so we can stop getting these?

most of the time its literally some one replying to a OP that doesn’t even play the game anymore or they are complaining about a mechanic that was changed… at some point the thread is better off closed… 365 days seems like a good number.

1 Like

I only ask for threads to be locked when they:
A) have already been answered elsewhere and I just missed it before asking,
B) If people replying annoy me,
Or
C) if it’s a trade or something.

I agree that threads with new info that isn’t easily found elsewhere on the forums should not be locked but that would take a fair bit of moderating to enforce, I’d imagine.

1 Like

It’s concept art and we’re having fun :smiley:

I also strongly disagree with how the OP can request the topic be closed and it gets closed, I feel that is fine for anything under the support or trade section of the forum, but anywhere else this should not happen.

This is the only forum that I have been apart of where the OP is allowed to shutdown their topic at any time, for any reason. I have always found this policy very strange, but I never said anything about it.

As hinted by a staff memeber of discourse, The whole point of Discourse and heace the name of the platform, is to allow and foster debates as long as they remain civil

So by allowing the OP to shutdown their topic at any time, they can stamp out the fostering of debates in the event the OP feels the debate/discussion or what have you is not going the way he or she planned, I am not sure if this is a form of censorship or not, but it is suppression and that is not good.

3 Likes

iu-8

1 Like

I think the big issue is a lot of people have zero common sense combined with almost no self control…

like the [Guide] The Methodology to Forging Everything - V2.3 - Added Repair Spanner - #223 by Jeffrotheswell post, half of the replies are random stuff like “oh wow”

but add zero benefit to the discussion, then OP has a recipe in the middle because half the community felt the need to comment instead of hitting the like button…

2 Likes

It’s a public forum - it shouldn’t be the OPs decision when the discussion has to stop.

What do we gain from locking a support thread? If the problem is solved, nobody is going to reply anyway but if somebody else has the same or a similar problem he can’t ask for help in that thread.

And even in a trade thread it might be easier to just ask “hey, now that you sold OP the 3 SS of white rock he asked for, you don’t happen to have two more for me?”.

1 Like

We don’t gain anything from it, but I don’t have a problem with it because that dosen’t suppress a discussion

I am against censorship and suppression of speech. If locking a support or trade topic also happen to fall under one of thoses two things then I would be against that aswell. But most topics like that do not have a discussion of any kind going on in them so i am indifferent about it.

2 Likes

To an extent, I agree… but when the thread has served its purpose and people start letting their emotions control their replies, it’s best to put her down :pensive: imo anyway

3 Likes

I say let them, if the OP can’t handle what their topic has turned into, well there are buttons for that

Any post that gets too out of line will be delt with by the leaders and/or mods, and any post that is just borderline, will show people what kind of person that person really is if they really wish to make a spectacle of themselves. Since anyone mature will walk away and come back when they have settled down before responding to a hot topic that triggered a strong emotional response

2 Likes

That’s a fair point too. I dunno, I’m a bit undecided now. On one hand, if a person makes a post, I think they should be able to kill it too. On the other hand though, it’d be nice if the information (if there is any) were accessible or showed up in search.

1 Like