Tilling soil can lower prestige

The title says it all :slight_smile:

Building a farm and each piece of tilled soil lowers prestige. Maybe a bug in the prestige algorithm?

1 Like

Interesting, never tried I believe, I noticed though a bit ago that any change you do on like a natural soil block adds actually the prestige.

2 Likes

Nah, it only seems that way. This tells me that you currently have more tilled soil in your build than untilled.

Just so you don’t think I’m confused, I understand that you till a block, and your prestige goes down. But what’s happening isn’t obvious.

• The more blocks you have of a certain type the less prestige each block is worth.
  • Each time you edit a block prestige is recalculated.

So it’s not actually relevant what the block is, and it’s not technically the tilling causing the decrease in prestige. It’s converting from a type of block you don’t have much of in your build, to a type of block that you have a ton of that’s lowering your prestige.

3 Likes

It’s because when you plant the seed and once it grows it adds prestige boop

3 Likes

It’s probably like @Nightstar said.
Or also likely tilled soil block has a lower prestige value then a soil block.

Im not sure if there is an actual value list available but how prestige works has been changed somewhere in the first year. Meaning values tend to drop at some point when you pass the block use in your beacon.

For example 20% soil, 25% brick, 5% glass, 2% trunks, 8% timber and on in one beacon.
Adding trunks would then add more prestige to your beacon then brick will do (keeping it to 1 color and type).

So can emptying out full plots (natural terrain) add additional prestige. Also rooms add additional prestige.

Sadly I can’t do more than give examples of what has been said here and there as there isn’t (to my knowledge) a detailed list on how the prestige system now works.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I’m no stranger to the prestige algorithm, but I’ve found it works pretty much always as James described it when it was updated…

• The new prestige system works such that prestige will never, ever decrease as a result of adding a block, chiselling a block, or adding a plot to the beacon and works to prevent spamming a single category of block from providing large prestige boosts; the increase in prestige may be minuscule or even 0 (eg, spamming a single category of block too much), or may add more prestige than it normally would do (eg, if you previously had spammed a single category of block, but the changes now being made are evening out the distribution so that those blocks that previously gave little to no prestige are now permitted to provide more), but will never reduce the prestige.
  • The system of percentage bonuses is reworked into instead providing extra prestige without respect to the base prestige of the beacon, again in such a way that adding a block, chiselling a block or adding a plot to the beacon will never reduce prestige, but may provide little to no extra prestige, or more than would normally.

However, in this case we we lost over 100K in prestige tilling just under 15,000 blocks.

This didn’t seem right to me.

Anyway, when we put in some more farm beds, I’ll see what happens and get a video - since if you don’t record it, it didn’t happen :slight_smile:

@BabyCookie I’ll see if we get it all back when the plants are grown.

1 Like

All that is known for now (again to my knowledge) block variation in color and type (of soil, rock and timber) add to the prestige.

A build made of 100 white meta brick will give you less prestige then if you would build the same thing with 25% white/red/blue/black meta brick. (Stupid example and probably only on a bigger scale as a stack of brick is not much :wink: for the additional bonus prestige calculation)

1 Like

Yeah but we never got the facts :wink: like what the current prestige values are of alle the placeable objects or percentages of how the calculations where made.

Do we know if a tilled soil block has prestige? Yes you change the block but does it or doesn’t it fall in the category of chiseling. (For example)

Do understand the issue you are pointing out but all we have to go one are some lines that have been said and can’t be checked by us.

But yeah :grin:

I’m fairly sure that the thread you’re quoting from is where you will eventually find your answer. This was a huge issue.

If you reduce the prestige of a block by 0.00001 point, and you have a hundred thousand of them, it shows.

Tilled clay soil offers 2 prestige, with clay soil offering 1 - not sure what kind of soil you’re working with.

1 Like

That IS a lot. However in the end, they never did manage to make it impossible to push your prestige negative. Is this beacon part of a larger farm complex?

2 Likes

It is, and it’s a tricky one prestige-wise. There are a lot of one colour igneous bricks.

So much so, that when we lined the beds with 4 stacks of mud, it added 600K. That’s some damn fine mud, I tell you. :slight_smile:

But that said, I still wasn’t expecting to see it go down. I expect to see zero value.

I’m not going through stacks of posts hundreds deep, honestly I would try and provide more links.

At the end of it all, sure IIRC, was the situation that it’s a three step system and so some statements that were technically true didn’t play out as intended. No block ever has a negative prestige value, etc…

Still as long as one block can reduce the prestige of another block, you will sometimes see negative prestige overall.

I have seen a very basic block, start adding hundreds of prestige per block, though in a similar situation. It sounds much like your mud. If your build is in that state you can sometimes find surprising boosts. Consider getting into some out-of-view spots and doing a bunch of chiseling. Plot down a layer deeper and add a bunch of other type / other colored blocks.

Also BoundlessCrafting.com has the prestige for I think all blocks.

2 Likes

Thanks @Nightstar.

We’re building it for a look rather than the prestige so it doesn’t worry me.

Just since I had never seen drops before, I thought it may be something overlooked in the algorithm when it comes to farming/tilling so threw down this topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, I don’t mean seem rude about the reading, I’m tired tonight. It’s hard sometimes to find the chain of three important posts when it’s deep in an 800 - 1200+ post release thread or similar mess.

If it’s in that state and you want the prestige though, it’s pretty easy to get it back. You just have to change the composition of the beacon, visible or not. With what that mud did, you can imagine what’s going to happen if you decide to start burying iron.

2 Likes

Not at all @Nightstar. I appreciate the feedback, and I’m sure I’ve read the same posts way back when.

The prestige will come back once I put in all the details. It’s just in a state at the moment where everything is one colour of one block type, and the prestige is working exactly as I expected… except for the tilling, that is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad I don’t give a hoot about prestige.

1 Like