Totem Upgrade No longer Needed?

that would be cool … *Set portal from therka > solum = can only visit solum ONCE an hour/day through said portal, and then of course, once again to come back (essentially closing the portal until later/tomorrow :slight_smile: )

im not saying fully remove the warp crystal as such… just that with all these portals it is rendered obsoleet

instead of making long jumps players will have to simply look for a few smaller jumps - connecting distant planets through a chain of short-jump portals. It is a prefered method of building portals anyway because three 2-jump portals are cheaper to fuel than one 6 jump portal

Yup! This would force players to explore less popular cities. I don’t envision time gates and distance Gates being set by the user though. This should be something that a user can sacrifice in their skill tree if they want to be able to travel farther and more, but everyone has a right to their vouch for a user controlled system as well.

When release comes it has been mentioned that there will be 40 planets (10 per server). The architecture of those planets is still unknown, but as of right now it is extremely easy to get from starter Planet to high level Planets for beginners. For them they may spawn on a city, see a portal. Maybe see that it costs 500 coin to travel. Maybe they’ll hop maybe they won’t… but if they do, they spent all of their coin or whatever resource dictated by the toll just to get stuck on this impossible planet. If they are tiered say level 1, level 2, level 3, etc. it would be easier for the player to survive and enjoy the game if they could only travel to a level 2 Planet through a portal. This distance limit would be set to 1 in this example and can be upgradeable to give them a slight upper hand for traveling the system later in game if they want.

1 Like

Just my two cents, but I think having that many more planets will solve the problem on its own. Some areas might still end up fairly crowded, but only because that’s what people want. There would still be plenty of open space for people who want to build somewhere more remote. If my experience is any indication, that’s still the case even now.

If having a lot of portals in a small area is more of a technical issue (long load times), then what about a very simple limitation that a portal cannot be placed within a certain distance of another portal?

2 Likes

Cheaper, but far easier to get lost… each portal network being inter connected, having a different layout, and artistic sense, can make it just as easy to be far more annoyed.

Not disagreeing, just saying I can/have find/found stuff easier in onmishop…
Which in the end is up to the builder, and those that might copy the method
Unique to this game is decaying that can only be stopped by the creator or his friends

So essentially you are saying here that the time/distance be set by the portal creator etc? sounds interesting

Myself personally… i would prefer to use the WC come release (because im a nomad/miner/explorer) the only reason i use the portals currently? because they are so numerous and … handy i guess - But this depends upon how much materials each warp crystal will need each time/per jump

But to go back to my OP - i was essentially saying that so many portals are a hassle… especially when you only have 2.7 MB internet (read as 27? in speedtest) … the munteen network + Moebius’s plaza although amazing are a killer to the network… loading portal… loading portal… portal loaded… connectivity unstabel… portal load… CTD! if something could be done about the stability and etc… it would not impact so harshly… also physically spreading them out would help a lot (another good idea is come full release… allow only 1>2 portals max in a per 50 claim radius?)

There was a post that mentioned how to limit/unlimited the number of portals that load at once
I can’t find it, because it was just a topic in another post, started by a pic with a portals in möbius plaza rendered

O.o if someone could find that post i would more than appreciate it

If that is the case then there is a little bit of false advertisement in that trailer that they release two years ago then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

All jokes aside, I really don’t think volume is the issue here. You’re talking about fixing a problem by adding more planets when full release comes. By that time a whole new wave of players will be interested in playing including PlayStation players who do not have as much variety with sandbox games as PC players. Only the devs can really gauge what the optimal size of they universe will be based on their current player base and estimated player base come release. The numbers are often very different assuming that they push marketing which I’m sure they will.

Setting portal build proximity limits seems like a solution, but would absolutely stink If I couldn’t build in my own house in a city that already has a portal. Sure maybe I should just build farther away, but this spells out more isolation to me. Collaboration seems to be negatively impacted by setting portal proximity limits.

yes maybe i didn’t think that idea out fully before speaking :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry if I was unclear :/. I think it would be best if distance limits and time gates were set by the devs and expandable by users similar to the warp.

I don’t know if I would prefer toll gates set by devs or by the player though because allowing players to set an amount to travel would mean setting it as low as possible to get the most amount of footfall and traffic in your town that you can. Smallest warp costs would become the standard…

Maybe limit the number of portals per settlement size

1 Like

Yes thats actually what i thought you meant (honest) first of all but the wording as in …but have this at the expense of skills did not seem to make sense to your don’t have this done by the player comment :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Definitely a better solution, but would be tough to try to control who sets what up where ya know?

I think just making it more aware to city builders that lots of clumped portals isn’t the best idea because my potato can’t handle it might help a little too.

@seorin your planet amount response makes more sense now! I was not paying attention to pc limitations when I wrote that response, my bad!!!