Township Project

Hello everybody! I hope everybody is enjoying this latest update as much as I am!

With this latest update, I see lots of people are roaming around looking for a place to set up their new homes, so I would like to invite everybody who is looking to join a new community to contribute to an experimental Township Project.

What makes this so experimental is the planned division of labor. While I’m not looking to tell anybody how to play the game, I want to see how the community responds to a sort of assigned role in a community. Think of it as a role playing game in which you choose your specialty and focus and improve upon it in order to support the larger group as a team.

Specifically, I’m looking for players to fill niche roles that would help a town grow. Those roles are:

Lumberjack- Responsible for bringing raw timber and leaves to the town for processing. Also gathers fibrous leaves and starberries.
Miner- Responsible for bringing a variety of stones and ores to town for smelting and processing.
Smith- Tasked with maintaining the furnaces machines, turning raw materials into tools and useful items for other classes.
Huntsman- Hunts livestock and provides protection against spitters and cuttletrunks for other gathering classes. Provides bones, meat, and tallow to town.
Builder- Builds the facilities needed to improve the town’s efficiency and prestige. Provides shelter and work spaces for other classes.

Eventually, if the supply of materials becomes too great for the smiths to handle for everybody, the Builders may consider building specific workshops for each of the classes to process their own materials, and recruit other players to perform their own respective refining tasks. For example, Lumberjacks may require a lumber mill where timber is cut to planks and sticks. Miners may require a refinery to smelt and refine metals. Huntsmen may build a tannery for cooking meat and converting bone into glue, tallow into torches, etc.

The idea is that by specializing in roles, each player can feel like they fulfill a specific niche in their town, and a community can grow organically.

If you are interested in helping grow a township, reply below for what role you intend to fulfil so we can keep track of how many we have filling each role. For example:

Havok40k
Smith

We can have several people contributing to each role, but too many of one thing is less than optimal.

Lastly, the location of this township. I was thinking we could set up on Vena V around the portal to the Demo City, as there is already a high density of players in the area, and it would be cool to be able to visit the city from the town. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Lastly, I am setting up a “Township-Chat” text channel in the Boundless Discord, and will be using the “Building” voice channel. Use this tread for requesting a town role, and the discord for discussion of the town.

See you guys in town!

13 Likes

This is a great idea! Sign me up!
I have a lot of role’s I’d like to fulfill but if I had to pick I’d say, 1: Smith 2:Miner 3: Huntsmans 4: Builder

I am not 100% sure on the town being too close to the portal as there are already a lot of beacons, but near it is a good idea.

P.S. I love using discord, great sound quality over some other software.

Sounds great. Right now I’m trying to work as a miner since there are no supplies to work from, and no place to store gathered supplies either! I’ll drop some shelves and beacon them. Once you find me, I can add you to the beacon so you have access to place things on the shelves.

Huntsman

Hunting wildstock is my favorite thing to do in Boundless
In fact I don’t even need a bow!

Question
Can I pick more then 1 jobs?

While we are small like this, sure. Later on, it will be more beneficial to specialize.

Remember, I’ll be in the discord channel if you need to reach me for questions.

I’d like to be part of this. Could I please get some coordinates on Vena V?

I have some base materials I have been mining for a bit. Primarily about 400 blocks of coal.

I’m game for any job as long as I can still do what I need to do in order to be functional (e.g. if I am a smith, I have to have a regular supply of coal/peat/fuel and ore or I’m not doing anything).

I’ve been waiting for a chance to be a part of something larger!

-2300, ,1860. I’m offline right now, so I can’t give you beacon perms.

Can I get an invite for Discord? It’s alright if it’s a PM

I’m in. Found your location.

Don’t care what role, so what ever is needed most. I will start with lumberjack as it seems useful right now.

Starting Monday i’ll be off of work for 3 weeks so I would love to join the project! I enjoy building the most, but will fill in anywhere as needed. I’ll get get caught up on things monday morning. See ya!

I’d like to be part of this as a miner and can i also have a link to the Discord channel

Hey peeps

I’m keen! I’m interested in the Miner role.

Is this in the Beta or the standard release?

1 Like

Sounds Cool, Huntsman or Miner, whichever is needed more.

I will gladly be a miner

I’m online right now and on the discord.

Turns out there is a max limit of people that can share a beacon. The supply depot is now full at 7 members. Can we raise this cap, @james? It seems that is a small number for collaborative projects. Is there perhaps different plans for guild projects?

I literally know nothing about this, but I’ve always assumed that there were going to be entirely different guild groups/beacons. I really liked the thought of this because we can have our own places with just our friends who have access, then the guild will be made of separate places/beacons with an entirely different set of people. I’m sure it’d been discussed, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

I think this is still going to be the case - at least we’ve not heard anything to the contrary.