Trading Plinths (item for item)

From what I’ve seen skulking about the forums, npc’s are not something the devs are looking at in the near future, but what about player and guild-made quests?

A player would select the item(s) they want, and would store the item(s) in the trade plinth that they want to give as a reward. Once someone has retrieved your items, the trade would be made through said plinth.

Players would be able to offer only a few (3-5) and be limited to the items they can request and offer (i.e. They couldn’t request 30 of the rarest ores), whereas a guild trade plinth could request and offer higher quantities of rarer tiers of items (i.e. rubies).

This system would help build a type of bartering economy, leaving coin to be used for warping. It would also appeal to player who might not have the cash for shops, but they have the skills or desire to hunt for the objects.

Edit: Title changed from “Player and Guild quests” to “Trading Plinths”

3 Likes

The buying plinth (Wanted Plinth) is the closest thing we have to Player generated Quests.

Do you think the Buying Plinth isn’t able to do this already?

But there’s no plinth for buying and selling stuff for other stuff and not for coins. Like I need 50 wood and give you 50 rock for that. :wink:

2 Likes

The closest thing for that is trading, but that requires you to be online at the same time as someone else.

As @DarthNott said, the current system is for coin, rather that item for item. It would essentially be like a way to handle trading while offline.

2 Likes

The topic might have been discussed before, but it would be interesting to know if more members of the community desire this behavior in the buying plinth, where you can set the reward as coins or items.

6 Likes

That’s why. If you are not online for a long time or no one is online at the moment or wants to trade right now because he doesn’t has the stuff in his inventory but in his base it would be nice if you could do this via plinths.

Yes, that would be good.

2 Likes

Understood. However, once the game launches and starts to have a larger pop, this could add a another element of role play.

Consider a new settlement being constructed. They would put up a message board (maybe with some RP quest dialog hint hint) with a repeatable “quest” asking for X stone,in return, every X turned in, they’d offer something they have in abundance like food or ore.

Or possibly a new PvE Titan hunting guild. They might be busy constructing their hall, but need help with materials to craft gear for their upcoming Titan Raid. For every X weapon you craft and turn in (up to a limit) they will give you a few gems, and, possibly a few coin to pay for a potential warp cost in case the mats need to be farmed on another planet.

1 Like

Yeah I’d like to see something like this

3 Likes

I think something like this could be worthwhile as it covers several requirements. Trading X items for X items whilst you are offline, but also doubles up as a sort of quest giving mechanic.

Maybe another coloured plinth (Green) would suffice for this? Notification of “quests” could then just be handled with signs.

7 Likes

Oh. @Stretchious like the sign idea. So, a sign would act as a bounty board to announce the quests, and the trade plinth would act as the NPC quest giver.

With this offline trade plinth you are 1) setting up mechanics for RPG quests, 2) touch on the NPC feature that has been requested, and 3) provide another alternative for bartering without having to decide between warp costs or a piece of gold (I saw this being brought up in another post)

1 Like

Yes, your idea is very good.
And you can make it like I sell 1 Iron for 2 Copper and you put 100 Iron in the Green Plinth because you want 200 Copper, maybe calling it Exchange Plinth because you change your materials. And the items above the plinth could have an animation that changes from the wanted item to the selling item in a loop.

And with the signs there’s a good way to do quests. Then you don’t need extra stuff for this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In order to save server resources though, it’d need to store multiple options. Clicking it would open a GUI showing the options. The showcase could be an “!” to keep the spirit of RPG quests. Or would that start to border on being restrictive?

I’d like something like this too.

2 Likes

Hey, @james and @Havok40k what do ya’ll think of this?

2 Likes

@Stretchious’ idea is very good

5 Likes

I have an idea how it could work with the (hopefully green) TRADING PLINTH.
(I made the GUI in the style of the Boundless designs, but unfortunately I have no idea which font you guys used, and I just made it very fast without much details for the items/icons). :smile:

The GUI if you’re at the plinth of another player:

It’s a combination of the Selling and Buying Plinth. When you press E you see your inventory, the selling basket and the items in the plinth. Example: This plinth has 3x 99 gold ores and one gold ore costs 50 Iron. So you have to put 50 iron from your inventory to the selling basket and press the trading button. Then you’ll get 1 gold ore. If the plinth is empty or you don’t have the required items you can’t trade.

And the GUI if you’re the owner of the TRADING PLINTH:

I hope you guys at Boundless make something like this. Using the Buying Plinth for it (and just making the reward as coins or items) wouldn’t be useful because you don’t just buy items, you also sell items at the same time. :smiley:

4 Likes

I would love that!

Wow… Good work! I love it. :boundless:

Also, really? You went all out and you were worried about the font…? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yeah :joy: thanks.

Now we just need people who want this too, like @luke-turbulenz said:

Let’s make this happen. :boundless:

2 Likes