Transparency Poll

The problem with full transparency is how fast things change. Sure, they could say exactly what they’ve been doing every week, but how is the community gonna react when the time of the update comes and half of it isn’t implemented?

We’ve seen how this backfired on No Man’s Sky. Do we really want that to happen on Boundless too?

3 Likes

FYI this thread is moving way too fast for me so I’m gonna bow out.

Staying here contributes to overhype/burnout anyway.

I think Bethesda has done a wonder job with this for Fallout 76 (I know everyone has their opinions on the game itself and the direction Zenimax is forcing it down, but that is another issue). At least they are the best developer handle this problem recently. They announced Legendary Perks after update 19 came out and they were teasing them and everything, but they would constantly keep them in the communication chain. They never stated they were “coming in the next update” or even “coming soon”, just “look at this shiny new feature”. Then they were officially slated for update 21. Update 21 came and… “sorry we could not finished Legendary Perks, they will be in update 22”. Well, Update 22 just came out today and Legendary Perks are in the patch notes.

Teasing and showing off new features is great and awesome. You just need to manage expectations. Do not say it is going to be released “soon” or “next update” unless you are really certain it is and then do not be afraid to apologize and explain why it had to be removed (everyone hated Legendary Perks for Update 21 from the PTS, they took them back to rework them).

Definitely the best, but also the most time intensive. Even just a weekly/biweekly forum post would be a great start. Weekly Forum post < Weekly Youtube Vid < Weekly Livestream

2 Likes

I was going to mention what happened to NMS. Too much info way too soon and in the end, they couldn’t get everything into the game in time. Didn’t help that their offices got flooded too and they lost a ton of work. That resulted in all kinds of backlash from the community, even as far as death threats.

There’s a lot to be said about holding cards close to the chest from a devs point of view. Sometimes transparency really isn’t the best option.

5 Likes

Sure, and they get their perks. One of them is a weekly phone monthly Skype call. But, IIRC, exclusive information wasn’t a perk.

Monthly Skype call to be precise.

1 Like
  1. Where do you have information that the people that have the ability to talk to a Dev actually PESTER them?
  2. Where do you have call transcripts of the people that are talking to the Devs, that support your assumption that we have “more information”? And what is this “more information?”

It usually is helpful to understand both sides of a story before stepping in and making bold claims of “unfairness” and being a “second class citizen.” It really doesn’t help solve anything…

Just like this survey - it is a single viewed non-objective position that doesn’t help create a constructive conversation or solution.

I’m working on a less biased poll - though I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to make a new thread since this one has lots of good discussion, and making a competing poll has bad etiquette smell.

1 Like

Actually, let’s all consider that James and the Developers are ADULTS. They have the mental capacity and maturity to decide who and when they talk to people. It would be helpful if the community stopped trying to be the Devs Moms and try to tell them how to run their company.

It might also help to not just assume everyone and their Grandmother are pinging them for information unless you have the actual metrics or there is an official communication on the numbers of pings.

1 Like

After carefully reading this topic in it’s entirety , I must totally agree that we all want Taco’s .

12 Likes

This is a game. A GAME!
Take a deep breath and say it with me.
THIS IS A GAME.
None of this matters in your real lives.
You can stress out. Get angry. Be disappointed you don’t know what or when things are coming. But in the end this is a game! If you’re on the forum debating about what the dev should and shouldn’t do. Give you head a shake. Shut off your computer/turn off your phones go outside and get some air. Give a loved one a hug. Kiss your pet. Unless you’re Tricky maybe just tap on the glass. The update will come when it comes. The devs will do what they want. Your supposed to be having fun in boundless not trying to prove a point on the forum. This whole year has been messed up in the real world. Which I’m sure plays some part in people’s craziness. So everyone please relax. And remember.
THIS IS A GAME.

:v:And :heart: Hippies. :beers:

7 Likes

0/10 only transparent part of this poll is its motive.

6 Likes

9kKlRx7qpUGze

2 Likes

Only if you want your game to be a success as a game. When its an art project to show off an engine to potential clients for that engine, it doesn’t matter as much :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Trouble understanding satire or sarcasm?

2 Likes

3 Likes

giphy

2 Likes

Spiders are very friendly
You can totally kiss a pet spider

2 Likes