Trouble finding fossils

Hello - only a few days into Boundless, but I’m at mining lvl 23 and only found 5 small fossils so far. What am I doing wrong? I have loads of copper and iron (and some silver too), plus tech fragments, and I’ve tried digging deep and tapping into high-up mountains.

So far my digging has almost exclusively been restricted to stone hammers… and it’s starting to kill me… :smiley:

Any suggestions for improvement would be much appreciated. I’m in a little village on Therka around -900,-900. I’ve no idea how I got here, and I don’t seem to be anywhere near anybody that trades. Also: I’m a bit lonely, I’ve not seen anybody in-game yet!

3 Likes

My portal at thurka market leeding to thurkas moon has a sickening amout of fossils and cole. I have so many at this point I may never need to harvest them again.

I have no idea how to get to Therka market - how easy is it to build a permanent portal to a specific location?

1 Like

it’s not difficult to make a portal, refined rock, timber, and spark.

1252, 85, 1872 are the coordinates for Therka Market

3 Likes

Welcome to Boundless! Therka is home to perhaps the largest settlement; Therka Market. It might seem lonely at times, but that’s mostly because people, when online, are often out farming materials. You’ll sometimes catch people restocking their store or working on their homes, but for the most part they’re usually off doing their own thing.

Still, if you want to interact with more people, consider setting up at Therka Market, or in Pixel Gate in Solum. There are a number of other small villages dotted about on the other planets - all of which can be accessed from Therka Market.

If you have iron and copper, I’d consider upgrading your tools to those materials. Copper will break blocks in 5 hits, and iron in 4. You might also want to craft yourself a single Gold hammer for harvesting Heavy Coal, Titanium and Gems (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Amethyst and Topaz)

2 Likes

Thanks - I made it to the market… although I didn’t realise it was a one-way trip. I’ll see if I can find your portal now.
How do you build a permanent portal that doesn’t shut behind you?

You’ll need to craft Portal Conduits, as @Xanotos mentioned; Refined Rock, Timber and Spark in your Workbench.

For information on crafting recipes, @Stretchious has this handy website, found here.

2 Likes

Easiest way to get home (from anywhere in the world) is to “Return to Sanctum”, then interact with the warp blocks on the opposite side to where you made a portal (in the tutorial).

There should then be an option to warp to your beacon.

2 Likes

When a recipe says it needs spark 2880, how do I generate this? I made a Spark Cord but that’s not correct, is it the Spark Core? And if so, how many will I need to make to generate 2880 spark?

Spark is like power generated in the spark core, then transfered to machines with with pipes. You generate spark from fuel sources like coal or compacted peat. It looks like the power core isn’t doing anything for a few moments, but once the fuel source is consumed, spark will be generated.

2 Likes

To add on to that spark cords (pipes) need to be connected from the spark core into the machines, for them to be able to use spark. You can’ use a machine as a pass-through. Coal, compact coal, peat and compact peat will be consumed in the spark core at different rates and with different amounts of spark produced, depending on the fuel used.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for the help. I’ve almost got everything I need to build the Spark Core. Does a core hold a limited amount of spark? Or infinite?

Sorry for all the questions, it’s a lot to get my head around, and I just want to understand everything I’ll need to grind in order to get a permanent portal from my village to the market :slight_smile:

don’t know how much a core can hold, I’ve had 270k on a single core. And that’s plenty of spark already. Plenty for a single person using it.

as far as i know it’s infinite, or a hard cap due to being a piece of data, i mean, in Java the maximum number an integer can be is 2,147,483,647. which is a lot of spark. don’t quote me on that at all, but you have a large enough capacity that you shouldn’t worry.

just know that if you dig out the core WITH SPARK IN IT, you lose all of that spark

3 Likes

Great, thanks - I’ve built the core, now putting stuff in it and watching the spark go up. So best thing is to have the Spark Core next to the Workbench, and this will add the spark automatically?

you need to craft spark cord, and connect them. the spark core carries all of your spark, and all machines connected to it will share the same “store” of spark.

2 Likes

Got it - it’s working. Thanks for all the replies!

1 Like

okay, next challenge: I’ve built 6 portal conduit blocks and placed them in a rectangle. It’s telling me the shape is incompatible with the Therka market token. I really don’t understand how to find the information on what to do next…

You need both to be the same shape.

1 Like

You need two identical portals. You take a token from one portal and place it in the other. You then stock said portal with Oort Shards to power it. It’s 50 to open, and one per hour, per hop from then onwards.

I’m posting from my phone, so I’m having trouble linking @Jiivita’s video, but he’s done a tutorial on opening portals.

2 Likes