Un-Beacon'd build

So… you don’t like @Oggieogham’s red tower just outside of pixelgate? It’s next to a big smiley face, so I’m not really sure if it’s a doom tower…

dont know yet need to go look at it :smile:

He didn’t really make it expensive… he just took it out of circulation farther than it already was. Red gleam was already expensive because it was too rare of a resource and needed to be balanced better. Plus certain people farmed the resource so much anyway people couldn’t easily get it and they kind of controlled the gleam market anyway.

Alright well he still contributes to it. I can’t remember what update or patch it was, but previously you could buy one and have unlimited red gleam. By putting it first in the stack before refining any other color of gleam. Then I think it was you could cancel the first one to save your red one. So really only till recently that were all kinda the same rarity or common

Yeah don’t get me wrong… it was wrong across the board. But I just wanted to clarify that the bigger issue was the balance of the resource. If there was more places, etc it would have been harder for him and others to corner the market.

Absolutly true, what gets me is how come the devs haven’t redistributed ‘wild’ red gleam along with others. Like if it owned its not a wild resource. Its just an owned block.

The worlds are regenerated to their original generated form. The system that does this is quite sophisticated and complex. We don’t have a simple mechanism for changing this to include more red gleam.

So it’s not that we just chose to do nothing about this. It just that it would have taken considerable effort away from something else we’re working on.

We could regenerate the world with more red gleam, but then it wouldn’t contain all the player builds and progress.

7 Likes

Yeah the devs get what went bad in that situation and I think made plans to fix it in the future worlds. Sure it would be nice to have a number they just change that would then slowly add more red gleam as the world regenerates from use but it doesn’t work that way.

FYI - this is exactly how resources regenerate (iron, copper, etc). And we actually discussed switching gleam into a resource so that we could dynamically change how much was being generated. But this still would have required the worlds to be fully procedurally generated again.

But we ultimately concluded that gleam was better used thematically to decorate the biomes. And players loved building with it too much to switch it into the resource system.

10 Likes

Thank you for the informative reply. I understood its not an easy task ( I still have very limited understanding of what goes on ‘under the hood’ ) I was unaware that to do something g of that nature would require a world wipe and start from scratch. I was under the assumption kinda like @Xaldafax metioned, if you could tweak numbers and have it happen slowly over the regen that already occurs. But sadly I was mistaken :frowning: lol. But honestly thank you for the awesome reply
*edit I just saw that you said that’s how resources are done, but gleam isn’t considered in the catagorie.

I haven’t played in quite sometime so I just want to give a big thanks to everyone for tracking me down! If you still have it saved please feel free to take any materials you’d like. Anyone is welcome to claim it. I’ll check back in a just a few days and if no one wants it i will log in and take it down. Thanks everyone(:

1 Like