Unique names for the colored blocks

i am saying you should split color so you have to choose, while you want to be able to carry 20 of each for 5 different colors and only fill 1 slot (assuming they stack in 100) we are 2 different sides, you want a creative build focused game (from saying ''if we cant carry all colors at once its a flawed system because it makes us work for building) while i am on the other side, i think the game should allow for building of awesome things, but i think building stuff should require great dedication and timeuse, meaning that if you want to build something massive you would need to move the materials and have to walk back and forth alot if you have many different building materials.

its an endless discussion because you are focused on building and im focused on actual rpg elements and logical limitations that stops people from just grapping everything they come past, even different colored blocks. and the major flaw in the entire discussion is that you only see the stuff as building materials, if that was the case then i wouldnt mind, go ahead for all i care, but many of the things that can be used for building, will also be used for crafting, such as wood, stone, granite, and that stuff also have different colors meaning that he stacking system would also have to apply to those.

with systems like this it should be all or nothing. if you want to move great amounts of different colored blocks then you also have to work for it, and your main argument is ‘‘but what if i use a great amount of different colors’’ that is simple, if you used a great amount of different colored materials, it would also mean that you could stack stuff up to 100, which gives the exact same thing, it just doesnt allow for easy loopholes.

Ah, gotcha! So, to summarize for myself:

Slot based inventory systems are a mechanic to force players to make (interesting) decisions about what items they wish to carry around. And we disagree on what makes for an interesting decision for the player.

For me, I think grouping by item type (and not the combination of type and color) is is the right level of granularity, because:

• This game is going to have a plethora of item types (For example, there are ~75 unique block types in the game; according to the world builder); and that will grow a good deal over time.
    • adding the additional combination of colors blows up the number of potential inventory slot “types” to a large number (~1.25k atm, plus however many unique items there are)
  • I think it’s an interesting player decision to have to decide which items they will carry around, especially if the # of slots is low (say, 20-40)
  • I don’t think it’s an interesting decision to have to choose between which colors of tree trunk you want to keep around. (unless you have a whole heap of them, or are doing a massive build)

I dunno, I think this actually supports players who want more of the RPG side of things too. Those players are less likely to care about the color of the items. That’s also not a choice that is interesting to them. My assumption is that they’re more focused on crafting items/tools/weapons/etc

I don’t think this idea diminishes that. You should still be limited in the # of items per stack. (maybe each grouping has a max # of items - or there’s a global item limit on the inventory; I dunno). All it does is change the decision of which stacks you want to move at any given point in time - it shouldn’t change the # of items that you can carry at once

3 Likes

Well that’s the first good argument I heard today^^ yes that is a good point.

That’s what you don’t seem to get. There would be no limitation on one stack if such a system would be implemented. That would totally defeat the purpose.

not at all I’m more on the RPG side of the game.

Again we’re on the same side, you should work to create something big and breathtaking. But there is a point where the justified work changes to annoyance. This is still a game.
MC has a bigger inventory (I think about 5 spaces atm) and even with their few different colored blocks it’s hard at the limit for me.

That’s a point I haven’t thought about. No it’s one big problem against two more or less smaller ones… It’s difficult. With this it’s more like choosing the lesser evil.

And here I don’t get what you want to tell me^^

I bow down, you have some very nice arguments, my only concern would then be that it makes collecting different colors of things alot easier, which i think is actually a main selling point. but i guess that is minor.

if the stack limits stays (so after 100 blocks) then i guess it wouldnt matter if colored blocks got put together :smile:

@KuroKuma

so if this system was implemented… you should be able to carry an infinite amount of blocks? or it would destroy the purpose?

Hmm, perhaps. Though you can only collect a small number of a lot of things, or a large number of a few things. (In the current inventory system, you’re forced into the second option)

Yeah. The trouble with my proposal is that there doesn’t seem to be a very clear/clean way of doing this, which might shoot it down entirely :frowning:

If you insult me again you get to see me really angry.

That said.

No but the stack size wouldn’t apply to the whole stack. It would apply to the individual colors.
If it would apply to the whole stack you wouldn’t need the grouping mechanic at all.

as you made so nicely before

no i dont think you can make it with the current slotsystem in a way where you can have all dirtblocks put together, however they could make a system where dirtblocks are put together in clumps, so say that you have 30 blue 30 red 30 green 30 black and 30 white dirt, instead of having them fill 5 inventory spaces you would have them fill 2, so you might have ‘‘dirt stack one’’ consisting of 30 blue, 30 red, 30 green and 10 black (then you hit the 100 stack limit) and ‘‘dirt stack two’’ which would then be 20 black and 30 white (could still hold 50 more dirt of any color) this system i could support

@KuroKuma this is what i am trying to go for, stack limit means how many you can have in 1 stack, so a good middle ground would be that 100 dirt is one stack, no matter the colors put into it not having a stack limit = infinite blocks

1 Like

Be right back, guys. Grabbing a second bowl of popcorn!

First how interesting how you can ignore that you insulted me. But I guess you can ignore a lot if you press your face against a wall.
Second. NO, HAVING A STACKLIMIT FOR THE STACKS IN THE GROUPING DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE UNLIMTED BLOCKS.

i want mine with butter.

1 Like

then please explain what you mean when you say no stack limit, cause i think the biggest problem is our definitions :smile:

cause if you have a slotbased system then there should be stack limits or you can stack infinitely, if we have a weightbased system it doesnt matter at all, which we dont have so i go from the system we have now.

1 Like

No, this popcorn is all mine- salt free.

Grab some nachos while you’re at it!

2 Likes

So my last try. If you don’t get it now I’m done here.

The stack is the thing that groups all the same things (i.e. one stack of red dirt) if you now group those stacks together based on characteristics they share (i.e. red dirt, blue dirt, green dirt, etc.) then you have a grouping.
I don’t want to discuss about the exact meaning of a stack. That’s just how I define them for now.

Now I don’t see the point in having a grouping size limit. But I see the point in a stack size limit.
Because if you limit the size of a group you end up with

group one [20 red dirt, 3 blue dirt, 7 brown dirt]
group two[20 red dirt, 10 blue dirt]
group three[30 brown dirt],

Different ratios all over the place.
In the end you would be better of just having stacks instead of groupings.

On the other hand if you have a stack limit you’d fill up one stack of every dirt before you start a new grouping. That way it would be kind of sorted instead of scattered around on all your groupings.

Ahh. thank you, you kept a cool head, we are talking about the same thing, again stacks is just what i define as a bunch of stuff put together, but i can call it group limits if you want :smile:

then i personally see no problem with the system :smile:

I hope we finally understand each other.

1 Like