Unplayable connection over WiFi on new computer [Solved]

Looking for some help and advice regarding an unplayable connection over wifi on a new computer.
Boundless plays fine on my laptop over wifi with hardly any connection issues. I have just treated myself to a new desktop computer with much better specs but it keeps dropping connection every few seconds over wifi. I have connected it with a cable and it plays fine but as soon as I unplug it and go back to wifi it keeps dropping again.
So I know it’s not Boundless and I know it’s not my internet connection and I know it’s not the wifi itself which means it must be something to do with the wifi on my new pc. I have updated all the drivers but was wondering if anyone could help me solve the problem or offer some advice.

The spikes are when I keep getting the unplayable connection message and I rubberband about

1 Like

I have been getting lately uplayable connections too In every region… Before it was just Aus planets here and there but now it has changed To others too… Nothing has changed In my end so.

If I log in on my laptop using wifi it runs fine it’s only when I log in on the pc using wifi that it happens. When I first bought Boundless in 2017 I had similar problems but after I changed my ISP and upgraded my Internet connection it’s been great.

Have you tried To see if its a steam problem?
Update all those drivers and stuff.

Steam has been having lots of issue In december At least what ive noticed.

Also this might seem like a no brainer but Maybe its just having bad WiFi connection? So moving it close To your pc could fix it?

When I click on ‘Check for steam client updates…’ it says Steam client is already up-to-date. I’m not sure if there is anything else to update on there.

When I have tested it on my laptop it’s right next to the pc and that works fine so I’m pretty sure it’s not that. Looking at the latency graph on Boundless it seems to be dropping every 10 seconds although the rubberbanding lasts for about 5 seconds then stops then after 5 seconds happens again.

could it be that if your router is old and you just bought a new pc it doesnt keep up with it?

im not an expert but just guessing here.

Is there anything in the log about dropping UDP or switching to TCPIP?

Hi @james, I will have a look … i was just online using a wired connection and at first the connection was still dropping then i swapped alts and it suddenly fine … i’m now just about to switch over back to the wifi connection to see if its still happening and look for the information you asked about.

Is it boundless or is it all internet? It sounds like the wifi card on your desktop (or it’s drivers) is bad

1 Like

Yeah i don’t think it’s anything to do with boundless or my internet. It only happens on the wifi on the new pc so probably driver/software conflict.

Also could be that there’s obstacles blocking the wifi signals weakening it compared to your laptop’s location. Generally it’s a given that wireless will be less stable/reliable than hard cable connection.

Hi @Kokuma, they are right next to each other so definitely not obstacles.

Can you check in your device manager and make sure you only have one set of drivers for your wireless card? If you know how, I would recommend just doing an uninstall of all wireless drivers and then installing the manufacturers driver again, but that can be tricky if it’s on-board wireless.

Hi @james is this the info you are asking for?

Hi @Rydralain I think it’s the one highlighted. It 's built into the motherboard which is an Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
adapters

I’m asking about the UDP to TCPIP failover - which would be captured in the game log.

Basically - Boundless attempts to send player input to the server via UDP because it’s likely to be a little faster. But if this fails, then the client will fall back to TCPIP. The process of falling back could cause a little stall.

• We can see in the latency graph that there are periods of UDP traffic in green.
  • Then there is a latency spike of ~1s.
  • Then ~4s later the UDP traffic starts again.

So what is causing the UDP traffic to stall?

You could try disabling UDP and see if you still get these spikes.

But I would also suggest having a rummage in your router config for UDP settings.

2 Likes

I’ll also add that it could be something totally independent that it stalling the connection, and this is just how Boundless responds to the stalls.

UDP + TCPIP could both fail, Boundless tries TCPIP only, then retries UDP, and repeat.

I’m not a networking expert - but a very regular pattern does suggest it’s some sort of setup issue. If it was pure Internet weather (locally or remote) then it isn’t likely to be so regular. Maybe it’s some sort of Wifi channel changing issue?

2 Likes

Hi @james, thanks for your help an advice, you’ve given me a few things to look into and research. My guess is that it’s either something to do with the motherboard driver or a third party application causing the problem, the spikes are extremely regular. I’ll keep Googling to see if anything else turns up. In the meantime I can wire it in but just have to make sure no one trips over the cable.

Now that I think about it, when I first set up the computer and installed Boundless it was running fine over the wifi, then I re-installed a lot of my regular software as well as utilities that came with the pc. It has to be one of them that is causing the problem… not sure how I’m going to find out which one it is though :weary:

1 Like

Assuming you’re on Windows I’d try:

1. Open the Task Manager.
  2. Sort the processes / applications by network traffic.

Is there another process that it using bandwidth?

(Again I know very little about networking on Windows, but) I would seriously investigate if something in the Windows Wifi setup or the router Wifi setup (more likely) is causing the connection to reconnect or update frequently. For example (again I know nothing about Wifi’s) maybe your Wifi channel is clashing with another Wifi in the area? What channel your router using? Maybe try fixing this or letting it vary? What is the transmission mode? b/g/n/a/ac/?? I’d try tweaking a few things just to see if you can make it stable. For example switch to a minimal config: 2.4GHz g connection. What about the security protocol? Maybe try altering temporarily?

Basically I’d noodle around with all the router settings until I could isolate which setting appeared to cause this stall every 10 seconds. Then you can try and work out what needs fixing.

1 Like