Update to testing universe

I disagree on caves - I LOVE the new size of them. They were too big before, and it was too easy to get to super deep altitude levels because of it, I hope that they stay as-is @Tobelawe - a sidenote: do some planets have different cave algorithms? It would be cool to have a lot of variety once you go below ground :smiley:

Don’t tell me what they are, I wanna be surprised.

2 Likes

Yes caves to vary by tier.

4 Likes

I should clarify… the size isn’t the issue, it is the amount. I ran for hours and came across 3-4 caves that were “real caves”… everything else was a small gap in the ground here or there. So for me it would be a bit nicer to see a few more caves. Maybe I wasn’t in the exact best spots but I looked a lot and always found these tiny things with barely any visible resources…

Well, maybe you had bad luck, or maybe I had good luck… But I did the standard staircase downward and ran into about 3 cave complexes that were all pretty awesome sized and fun to find

2 Likes

Ahh, are you talking about surface caves? Surface caves are rare and something I want to improve. It’s quite difficult to get the effect I want. I think Aridhol believes the caves to be fine as he is digging into the ground and finding them that way?

3 Likes

I really really like that, it really adds to the feel of progress and gives you more time to familiarize yourself with the first 3 machines before you get to learn the next 3.
I remember when I started last year august i was a bit disappointed that i could mine so much on the starter world and the only reason to go to higher level worlds was to get more instead of different stuff.

Yes, I got a lot of copper and coal quite fast, but that felt good. :grin:

I don’t agree on tech frag, they were quite rare and i had to go explore and look for them to build my machines and a first grapple. But that was ok, no need to find everything at your doorstep. But if they would have been more sparse it might have been frustrating.
Fossils seem to have the same rarity as tech frag, but it’s not a problem i didn’t need any so far.
I just played till i hit the Warp Augment wall. (Level 11, 3 Machines, 2 Iron Furnaces.)

I played on Marvoni and the availabilty of Desert Sword / Fibrous Leafs felt good.
Didn’t perceive it as a bottleneck anymore.
I’m not sure if I used any other surface resource.

3 Likes

Yup that was the issue basically… I was trying to look from surface to get into caves… found a few but was a lot of looking… Now that I understand that we can’t get tech on T1 it is less an issue. But, the caves I did find were too bare in resources for me… Not horrible but it just took time to get stuff unless you started mining.

Other resources looked ok. Mushrooms seemed a bit light while the sword plants were a bit much.

Just in case you are not aware, tech fragment spawn in certain areas. On start worlds they will be nearer the surface. This is also the case with fossils. Do you search deep under ground?

I thought it was the idea to not hv caves opening in the ground to avoid falling for all the new players no grapple and low jump.
And I like it.
Caves you need to find through digging are just fine and if they stay on the horizontal more than vertical, even better. Difficult and complex caves can wait on higher tier worlds.

4 Likes

On the search for caves:

I made similar experiences. Found no cave with a surface entrance, but then settled next to a little hill and dug a staircase down and found a nice widespread cave. I really like the new structure.
Could be a coincidence but i never got lost and always found my way back to the torch that marked my entrance. I remember last year i was always exiting caves via sanctum warp.
It’s also interesting that i was able to traverse like half of it before i felt the need to craft a grapple.

I searched in the cave i found. I can login and lookup the altitude.
Edit: The caves starts at an altitude of 40.

1 Like

I’'d be interested to hear what you think. FYI, we want to add a new section to the knowledge screen and extra info on resource description telling players where to find resources.

6 Likes

I think that is a possibility, but the best way would be if i would be able to find out myself.
On my journey across Marvoni i didn’t saw a lot of much exposed cliffs, or surface caves and everything else is covered in grass. So i tried to find a cave because in the past cave mining was more exiting to me then strip mining.

I just realized i didn’t try to use an atlas despite the fact that it’s available early on and would have been able to craft one.
On the other hand there is also no objective to use an atlas (or it becomes available too late).
Objectives were a great help last year to introduce me to the machines and spark.
And i think the right time for an atlas objective to kick in is when you need to find tech fragments.

1 Like

Yeah I was in the ground :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would agree with that

There is copper coming out of my ears. Coal a bit more to have to dig for. I guess it may not be to bad if there is plenty of copper because you can’t do anything with it without the coal. Coal is what makes boundless run. I’ve only seen one fossil so far.

I will agree that the text is misleading a little for a new player in the tutorial. It starts with CRAFT a table, then later it turns into Acquire . The thing is at a low levels, there is no acquire things. We have to craft stuff ourselves. They are asked to “acquire” storage units with no more info on the matter. “Do I go steal it, is there a recipe, what machine do I go to for that?”,“Oh look I just found I actually have to go make ingredients to make shelves,how the hell do I make glue?” They have to blindly feel their way through the tutorial and crafting, and might think they will need all the crafting trees. How would they know otherwise?

So Pretending I am a new player, I am absolutely torn with what to do next. I am at level 10 now, and most likely mess up my skill trees. The problem is that there really isn’t a way of telling when your tutorial is done and that the Next objectives in the journal are actually not part of the tutorial. The messages urge them to keep finishing objectives. So players totally could blindly be working the journal and forced to pick skills in crafting to complete those objectives. Never realizing that this is where they start choosing their path. Are storage units part of the tutorial I see everyone working on?

Literally the Objectives page is all crafting or building except the very bottom for gathering. This tells people they need to take all the crafting trees if they want rewards, and xp. Think about this for a new player and how they would perceive what they have to do. Or is this all the tutorial, and once you finish it you have to Cleanse everything if you didn’t want to be a crafter?

Basically If a new player just wanted to mainly hunt where is his objectives to not lead him down spending skill points in crafting?

2 Likes

Because this game is mainly a crafting casual game more than a hunting game, it needs to be said that everyone needs to be a crafter for a while to cash in on all those thousands of rewards for objectives and feats, because they don’t exist in the same way for hunters.

Then at a later level, one can spend the points if they have any left on cleansing to a hunter or adding skillsets or characters. There really isn’t a good choice for a new player if they want the most out of the game but to not be a crafter in part. All of us can cleanse our level 50’s and see what it feels like to change professions. But to start out anew, and grind again who is Not going to need to go for the crafting builder feats?

2 Likes

Hey quick question - Titanium: Can we find it on t4 planets (Omegasus V for example…) I’ve done a lot of looking but not a lot of finding :slight_smile:

I figure that t4 should have titanium, it may just be really rare. t5+ should start going into gem worlds?

Also, Omegasus V says its a t4 world but then there’s no t3 so idk!

I’ll post if I find some

So that we are not confused I will use the player facing tier level rather than internal. Internally world tier indexes from 0. This means we refer to placid worlds as tier 0 rather than the player facing tier 1. The world you are concerned with (Omegasus V) does not have titanium on it. That said metal worlds on tier 4 will have titanium. Tier 5 will be the start of the gem worlds yes. It will also be when titanium is accessible on every type of world.

You could use an atlas to check my claim.

FYI, titanium spawns deep under the surface. There must be a minimum of 40 blocks of depth for titanium to start spawning (it’s better to go deeper still).

2 Likes

So it sounds like we will have to go to more planets to get the same resources that were on single planets before. I do not think this is good or bad. It certainly forces early players to visit more planets to progress. I do think the need for all this movement should move the developers in the direction of more ort stone versus less. The scattered resources will increase the need for portals as players progress.

1 Like

I’m not asking for caves to fall into. I liked the closed off things. I’m asking for the caves in the sides of the mountains or right beside the water to be bigger and allow you to work your way down some without having to always dig. I found one or two like that but like I had said most were very small. It wasn’t horrible but like 5-10% feeling off.

1 Like