Upgrading from Visual Studio 2017 to 2019

We’re upgrading Boundless to compile with Visual Studio 2019 from 2017. This also requires us to upgrade the library dependencies on Steam to install the Visual Studio 2019 Runtime.

This will show as an update and download on Steam but there are no actual game changes until Testing 245 migrates to Live.

31 Likes

For us programmatic illiterates, will this translate to anything quantifiable in-game? Just curious, keep up the great work!

4 Likes

Does that mean the graphics are going to look slightly different?

1 Like

No, it’s just changing how the voodoo magic works behind the scenes. The player should not notice any changes.

6 Likes

They just got new tools to work with.

2 Likes

Or did the get new tools to play with :grinning::+1:

3 Likes

New Tools Means New Content

Yay new tools
I’ve wanted a rotation chisel for soooooo long

2 Likes

New Tools for the developers does not mean new content tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not we can dream can’t we

3 Likes

Maybe they’ll be able to develop and test new content faster

I guess with this, they upgraded DEV-Hq from “Gem” to “Lucent-tools”
Now they are able to proper develop some “Tier 8 - Tier10” :boundless: game content for us :+1::+1:

Maybe new tools for up coming new consoles releasing in couple of months

1 Like

I just love it that james posts info that’s not affecting us besides update download, but i guess he’s just telling us so we don’t have people starting to post
“OMG OMG UPDATE!!! WHATS NEW? TITANS OR?”
Smart move lol

2 Likes

Am indeed hoping this will have benefits for us in future like the PS5 dev kit might need it…

1 Like

Ha great minds and all that

1 Like

Ah, but it does. Give creative people new tools and it will be irresistible for them to use them! :grin:

just google visual studio 2017 vs 2019 .
there you go.

tldr . its faster to do things with it.

5 Likes

It just look as a bit nicer with windows dark mode :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Does this mean we are getting Titans in 2021 instead of 2024? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like