Using the bevel chisels(am i missing something?)

cant see very well what’s happening in the picture with the full block, but to chisel down to fill a chip like you have there, you shouldn’t go for the diagonal shape (which is flatten block with precise chisel removing diagonal corners),

if you are trying to fill two corner gaps like that with one block, you won’t be able too, because (as @Nightstar explained) you cannot remove the middle of the diagonal shape to leave opposite corners floating

chiseling one block can only fill one corner chip (gap) like that and to do that you follow these steps (you probably know that):

here are two chips like yours to be filled

go for slab first (half thickness, either bevel or square chisel hitting twice):

then chisel off half of it (either horizontally or vertically):

then precise chisel half of remaining shape (either a top or a side depending on whether you went for horizontal or vertical shape earlier):

2 Likes

Except I was hoping to fill in both sides, using the one block, which isn’t possible. :frowning:

Anyway, I made this…

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

:+1::+1: I wonder how that would look with some liquid in the chiselled blocks and glass panes in front.

3 Likes

in that case you would have to go for double the size so you need 2 blocks to span the arms of the pattern - that way you will have chips filled in both arms

3 Likes

oh wow, I didn’t think of that, thnx man.

Also @boundmore, I meant to fill in both sides, like this…

1 Like

Yeah, double the size could work, but it wouldn’t fit my build then! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

double-size the build!! :grin: :joy:

watch super size me - the film - to look for instructions :wink:

4 Likes

The shape (block) you want …
… is one of many shapes we are missing,
and we all :boundless: waiting for at the moment.
Who knows, maybe we get some of them next year :+1: :thinking:

also, see this topic below

1 Like

You may be able to get what you want if you make that same shape with precise bevel chiseling… it’s basically a half block offset of the bevel chisel. May still not work but it’s a thought.

Oh wait I may be thinking precise slope chiseling, I’m a little rusty. There is an option where you precise bevel chisel all but opposite diagonal corners to get one block split in two but it doesn’t work here.

2 Likes

it is slope - you get kind of horns; still, they are connected and don’t split into 2 separate parts

2 Likes

I’m using a similar pattern to start for my outdoor lights .

3 Likes

Ahh, not to worry, then. :slight_smile:

what is the chisel methodology for those? I want to replicate something like it for my prototypes im working on

1 Like

I was trying to answer this, since I’m pretty sure I know how to do it, but I can’t figure out how to articulate it better than “well, you just stand at the top and use the precise bevel chisel to make it diagonal”, which I’m not sure is actually useful.

If I ever get done with my other projects, I want to make a chisel school on someone’s creative world.

probably helps to lay it out for me on which blocks and positions you started with, that would help a lot too

I think it’s 4 x 4(2x2 in the centre with deco gleam) x 6 blocks high.
Bevel the side down to a half block. Then precise bevel chisel out the centre and top and bottom if that makes sense.

2 Likes

it’s a start for me, most of my time lately is on my creative world tinkering around

1 Like

Hi , here are a couple of pics to help, sorry just saw this.

5 Likes

It is a total of 6 rows , I add the top and bottom points when it’s done .

1 Like

The pattern is great for pillars as well.20201103162628_1|690x388

1 Like