New Block / Chisel Types 2021 Survey

This morning on a call I showcased to James a few more block types that I feel should be added to help with building. This was to be an “additional building update” added to a much larger content deployment - kind of like we are getting new skins as part of the private planet release. This is not to take time away from other core game feature needs in the game.

Primarily I was focusing on 2x1 angled (wedge) design since we only really have a 45% angle in the game but did bring up true curves. (I was basing my things on this Space Engineers block options - https://www.spaceengineerswiki.com/Block ). There is a decent technical consideration around block ID space and “how it’s chiseled” to take into consideration that I don’t have the depth to be able to explain.

Either way, the discussion did shift toward an openness (not set in stone but would consider) by Devs to have new block/chisel types in some future update. With that understanding, we felt it was best to open the suggestions to the whole community for feedback and ideas. Builders unite!

So, if you could have some new block types and chisels cuts please provide a few pictures or ideas or other things to help the Devs see what things in this area would help builders. This is NOT for furniture pieces or those type of block types - unless the chisel cut would HELP make some furniture like we currently do.

@James can clarify here if I didn’t quantify or contextualize the ask correctly… I didn’t write down the “homework” question. :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Important point for people to take into account when replying to this thread. :point_up_2:

2 Likes

I’d like a block shaped like a titan and a chisel shaped like a shield.

13 Likes

This is a block we have:

a lot of people have requested this (probably the most requested I’ve seen):

EDIT: I think the second most requested blocks are blocks that smooth the gap between slope and chiseled blocks.

20 Likes

I’ve always hoped for 30 and 60 degree chiseling angles. :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

Yes, I will take a flight seat and cockpit chisel.

2 Likes

Do you know how many bits are they considering adding per block? Are they adding a whole new byte? or hijacking an existing bit from some other part (like the unused liquid bits)?

I’d love to take smaller squares out of a block.

Sorry for the Minecraft picture :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

Being more serious… An overtaking chisel would be nice.

I’d like it if I can make a block take over part of another blocks space a little bit, like the “beam into pole” setup.

Use case:
If I want a diagonal transition between two block types, I want to chisel away part of block A and then extend block B into the gap that was formed.

To be more concrete: I want to use an Extension forged Slope chisel to extend green out into purple’s space here.

23 Likes

Absolutely this. It would be amazing to implement a feature like this. I don’t know if this would even be possible or how intensive it would be, but I would use this in so many different ways

1 Like

May I remind you of my earlier request for extra diagonal building blocks :+1: :smiley:

Edited this post - added the diagram again

17 Likes

:heart_eyes: This for sure too! I can see so many possibilities when looking at the diagrams provided.

3 Likes

A block like this would be awesome too!

26 Likes

I think James’ questions on that thread are pretty valid - what would it look like to use that chisel? Is it possible for those results to come from a logical chiseling away of material, or does it have to be some sort of transform you hit until the shape you want comes up?

My brain isn’t grasping these shapes well right now, but I can’t think of how this would work.

3 Likes

And here are some of my remarks at the wedge blocks @Xaldafax is referring to in the OP :+1: :+1:

Edited the post - added my diagrams again for a better overview

18 Likes

Seamless metal
Decorative wicker
Decorative marble
Decorative concrete
Liquid gleam that is breathable (perfect for elevators)
Stone panes (non transparent)
Borderless stone signs (non transparent)
Ivy block (more ivy looking than leaves or thorns)

Ability to remove parts (quarters) of glass panes with precise square chisel

And 30/60 degree blocks

The chiseling can be implemented IMO, see earlier thread

Even if it’s only ramps (non precise chisels) it’d still be a game changer

Like if you agree

8 Likes

Whatever new chisel types they consider I just hope they are actual crafted chisels and NOT centraforged… personal peev maybe

8 Likes

Yes I agree
I suggested they use rift, umbris and blink.

It would also be cool if the inventory had a reserved spot for 2 stacks of chisels (added space). It’d make it so people would have no reason NOT to keep every chisel in the game in their inventory. I think if people had every chisel on them for “free” (not taking up inventory space), we’d see a lot more nice chiseling

2 Likes

Only downside using those is it’s end game non low player friendly. Also energy consumption on those would suck :sweat_smile:

So maybe new chisels made from two types of mats. Like and iron and copper mixed together? Maybe the chisel part is iron and the handle is copper :sweat_smile:

Or even metal and gem mixed(gems being significantly cheaper than lucent)

3 Likes

Im good with them being later game items but perhaps rift umbris and blink might be bit of a stretch, very hard resources to farm for anyone sub level 50,

1 Like