New Block / Chisel Types 2021 Survey

My other idea would be to make them all diamond chisels
And when you craft them, you pick which one to craft
People would have to be careful, but that’s already the case and worse with forge effects

2 Likes

@Xaldafax
Another request for additional block shapes I made earlier …
… Now they are all united in this topic :+1: :smiley:

Edited this post - added the diagrams again for a better overview,

15 Likes

Why not sponge growth and mould chisels?

4 Likes

Sorry I won’t have a great answer here… :). I’d leave the full technicals to @James or @lucadeltodecso but based on the context this would come out of the larger block space that is reserved. It wouldn’t remove bits from other things but I’m not sure how they all interact honestly.

The bits used would be based on the type of block added. Like in the example I used (wedge) it was like only 4 or something if we had only 1 side. Then it would scale in use if we added more sides. Also, note, the wedge I proposed is still a single block but needs 2 to complete since it is a 2x1 so it would basically double the side.

One good thing to note is that these blocks can be shaved down a lot so that adds to possible shape options. Basically like we see with the lattice work. So there might be an option of a bunch of angels if we decide for something like that - a lattice idea but across the whole block where you can shave it.

I have had some “brainstorm” chat about what I’ll call “macro-pixels” (don’t remember the technical term used) but there were concerns about resolution and pixelation or how it would look in the existing block structure.

But, I do agree that if we had a block that was almost like a lattice but allowed up to trim off a 24th or 16th of the block that would be nice.

5 Likes

Thank you VERY much for adding all these. I completely forgot about these. One of the issues will be how chisels can create these, but overall this helps to showcase a bunch of new block types for better builds, etc.

3 Likes

I’d like a chisel that would allow us to change the size of planted flowers and fungi and let us center those on a block. Rather than the off center predetermined sizing that is currently in place. I would also really like to be able to place flowers and fungi on any side of a block, so i could dangle them ceilings or place on walls for decoration. And a new block suggestion would be a new marble type block that incorporates different metal ores with stone to get different colored veins in the marble

5 Likes

For new block suggestions - I’d love some aged options like crumbling stone, mossy stone, worn or patina covered metals, etc. I’d like to build dirty steampunk stuff, shoddy pirate villages, and crumbling ruins.
Having brass colored metal stuff would be nice for the steampunk stuff as well.

Partially unrelated, I really want an ornate iron door.

9 Likes

There isn’t one?

I second the “worn” materials. Weathered wood, weathered concrete and weathered metal please too.

Maybe they could be made with a regular block and gravel in the mixer (or a metal block and water for patina)

• Yes
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

If they did manage to get curves working well in the game, I imagine people could do some pretty amazing things with concave and convex curved chisels (You’ll have to forgive my lack of artistic talent).

Boundless

24 Likes

I can’t figure out how to make it and can’t find it anywhere, if it is a thing.

Brightness Chisel which changes luminosity on gleam blocks. This was already floated by the devs and I know a lot of people want this.

11 Likes

I could fix my rooves if I could get this shape…

2 Likes

I’d like doors that look like all the other blocks as well so we could do hidden doors since we lack sticky pistons

2 Likes

That might be the least possible idea because it would take up 32,000 spaces in the block file. There is a separate block for each of the chisel shapes in each of the colors. My idea for a workaround to that would be a new block with some characteristics of liquid, where it can occupy the same space and only shows in the gaps. I was thinking a super opaque glass look or something more like concrete/grout.

For my chisel suggestion, we should be able to make the existing chisel shapes smaller, like the lattice chisel does. Then conversely to make the amount chiseled from the first hit of a precise chisel smaller itself. In effect, it would be like being able to move a latticed block with no arms to the corners of the space rather than the center.

Of course I’d love a lot more than that and want to have every idea I’ve seen so far implemented, but design-wise this would be pretty simple and it would provide more options to us for realistic trim and texturing.

Think about times you wanted to transition one block style into another but 2 iron ‘corner’ blocks make that massive triangular chunk, or you wanted a baseboard to transition interior walls into the floor and again those corner pieces looked way too bulky. This would solve that and hundreds of other design issues where you need something less clunky.

For accurate design, think smaller.

3 Likes

Block types I would find cool:

• carpet/fabric
  • sandstone, limestone, shale, slate
  • granite, quartz
  • ceramic, clay, adobe, terracotta
  • bamboo
  • asphalt
  • tiles, porcelain
10 Likes

I once suggested to have a system similar to fluids but with 2 block types instead of 1 block and a fluid, that would net you the same result, the green block in your example then would be the fluid like part in the other block and would fill it up.

Sadly this was not possible if I remember correctly

2 Likes

I’d like to change the size of the spiders/ oorty’s and other items. Maybe the lattice chisel Could do 4 sizes like it already does?

8 Likes

YES! THIS! I need this inside corner block.

1 Like

Love these! :+1:

The block type I perhaps want most, suggested it some time back: flowering hedge block. Could be chiseled, and I think would be very useful in landscaping. Something like this-

16 Likes

Oh, can one of the sizes be GARGANTUAN? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like