Wandering NPC Shops and Kiosks?

How about a handful of wandering NPC shops and Kiosks on each planet? With a constant handful items for every possible play style to spend small amounts of coin on. The NPC could know what we have already crafted and give us a selection based on that. Maybe the NPC could also provide a few suggested items that could help inspire direction within the game. While providing some bits of “Story” through the chat box, getting players used to interaction with other, and inspiring others to explore.

Of course, these shops will not compete with the current player’s shops!!

Maybe the NPC could give directions to interesting builds, malls, specialized shops, and cities on each planet. Lots of possibilities with this idea. I’d love to play this in Boundless.

Make the Devs be the NPCs

4 Likes

Let players build wandering shop stands/npcs

1 Like

Leave our characters to world to work as NPCs.

3 Likes

Like a caravan ?

1 Like

I like the ide of their stock being a tad bit expensive, but containing items available a planet tier above the world they spawn into. So on T1/2 planets they could sell gold and silver in small amounts for a hefty price. On T6 planets you could get a few pieces of rift/umbris. Have them sell a few pieces of gleam not native to their planet. Very rare spawn rate - 0 to 2 per world at any given time.

1 Like

I would have absolutely no problem with the idea that the Devs create different type of NPC classes or reasons for NPCs. The rough idea: They put it behind a functional/program type interface that players can access (like 1 NPC per person). Then people can build houses, shops, workshops or whatever and program in the NPC, etc. Other players can then interact with that NPC.

Basically the Devs almost outsourcing the NPC part of the game out to the players. Obviously they could do their own as well, but I’d still like to see player based NPC interactions and locations.

3 Likes

We could create a new type of character with the sole purpose of selling. Every slot in their inventory would be considered a “shop stand”. Start with a max of like 3-5 smart stacks in each slot with a potential to increase to 16+ with skills.

Give them their own skill tree and they level up as they sell items. Skills include expanding their inventory, reducing tax, etc.

This would allow players to build shops specifically for their shop character, customize them with the paints, masks, and colors. As you said 1 per character or 1 per account. Very low level AI that sets them to roam a 4x4 plot area max or more if there’s no technical issue.

This would essentially make shopping easier for the customer since there’s one central point for buying their main items. Selling easier because you’re collecting all coin at one character instead of multiple shop stands. Also restocking at one place instead of multiple stands. Keep a sell history to see what was bought and when. They could even be linked to a “shopping network” if we go down that road later on. (Would still need to buy the item in person)

2 Likes

Can I tame a goat and make him pull my new cart :wink:

1 Like

That will be next year at some point… :slight_smile:

What if we could craft our own NPC’s. Create the stories ourselves? The dialogue could be entered into a text box, by the crafter. There could be in game rewards for visiting other cities and interacting with their NPC’s.

It would also work in the mob crafting idea… create different level mobs and place them within beaconed, player created dungeons/mini games.

Get rewarded by visits to other cities and people visiting your own.

1 Like

We’re gonna need more blood captain!

1 Like