Want to get in the game

So where and how do i begin modding.

There is no official modding solution. So anything really is just going against TOS even if sanctioned. We should be pushing for the Devs to provide true mod solutions and not people hacking the game.

1 Like

Well first of all, what hat do you want to wear, the white or the black?

2 Likes

The only Mod we need is the ability to open a portal 350,000 blinksecs…

2 Likes

You can modify any game files you find in your install folder.

assets\archetypes has some of the most commonly modified files
assets\gui\layouts is self explanatory
assets\textures has some textures, more spread out in other folders

Most config files are .json that can be modified with notepad, textures are sometimes .png, sometimes .dds files which often require image editing software and/or plugins to modify (photoshop has https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop, gimp https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-dds/). Msgpack files aren’t human readable and will require you to convert them somehow, but these are rarely edited anyway since they contain mostly just static data like items etc. https://github.com/willcrutchley/boundless-msgpack To convert between .msgpack to .json and back.

There was an attempt to make applying modifications to files easier, but I never moved it past the testing stage. Mod Manager and Mod Collection The op has a cmd version that I built the GUI on.

4 Likes

Asking the real questions :joy::joy::joy:.

1 Like

(I am on pc so verifying files is easy)

My question is, how far can i mess with the files i have without causing permanent damage? I mean the game is online so i shouldnt be able to delete my base or my character inadvertently right?

That can’t happen since it’s all kept on databases server-side; maybe some stuff is cached locally, but I’m not sure if it is, actually.

I think the worst thing you can mess up are local settings that affect your keybinds and general settings, and depending on what you’re actually attempting, changes may make the game crash (done this a few times myself) but it’s always easily resolved with a file verification – just bear in mind that doing so will likely also undo any other modifications that were safe though.

1 Like

Anything you do in-game is checked by the server to be valid, so you can modify pretty much anything without fear. For example there’s a variable to change how often you can bump a warp, if you lower this, the button will come available to you earlier, but it won’t do anything until the delay has passed on the server side too. The only things that are stored on your PC are basically just config files, so you are limited to mostly just visual changes. Your builds etc are safe on the server.

2 Likes

Where is my Gray hat?

The worst you could do is tamper with something that might cause the game not to load correctly until you undo it or reinstall the game.

I highly suggest backing up copies of any files you are planning to tamper with so you will be able to undo >> mistakes << with little problem.

1 Like