Warden is **JUST** a title

ok I’m seeing more and more posts regarding different features and the statement “give the warden the power to …”

In the current system, in the current game universe, this is NOT ACCEPTABLE as a solution to any problem.

It’s in too many threads for me to respond to one post or thread on this matter. At a minimum any change that comes allowing someone far away from me, who i’ve never met and may or may not be active to control the following things is BAD:

• Border / Buffer Zones
  • Taxation Status
  • Build Type or Zoning Which Conveys Penalties/Bonuses
  • Any Other ‘Great’ Idea You Have Because You Like Your Current Warden

If you think prestige wars and arguments over sovereignty/authority are bad now you aren’t thinking this through. There needs to be a promise of complete opt-out of the greater settlement mechanic for these discussions to even be taken seriously.

It would be even better if there was an election or voting system in place to determine this title before it conveys any privilege at all. In the meantime, please consider that this is not a viable solution for ANY of the current issues that players and/or groups are having with mechanics currently in the game.

As noted this is a separate thread because I don’t want to seem like I’m knocking any particular idea. I just think it’s very important that people remember MANY OF US ARE UNDER SPECIFIC WARDENS INVOLUNTARILY.

I don’t have any particular problem with my warden. I mean, I’ve never seen or met the person at all. At this point s/he is my warden because someone else, with much less prestige or time investment than either of us, decided to link us together without consulting him or me.

Prior to them getting connected there was a warden who hadn’t logged in for over 6 months before his beacons got dropped.

Every time someone posts “let the warden do (XYZ) …” I cringe and it’s happening in so many threads it’s starting to concern me.

8 Likes

This is easy to explain: People are fine with the warden having all the power when THEY are the ones with the power.

When they lose that title then they will get why it is a very bad idea to give power to anyone that isn’t chosen to have it in a system where you just place blocks to get it.

3 Likes

I see what you’re saying and I assume this is about my posts (at least partially). I don’t care who the warden is. I agree it’s just a title.

I do care that I’m sitting here with 100+ other players in a community that has been paralyzed by the recent systems that were layered on top of the previous one.

You don’t like the building zone idea…that’s fine. I think it would be very helpful to a lot of different communities.

If you aren’t in the community, it wouldn’t affect you.

1 Like

This is not about your posts. This is occurring in threads regarding fixes/changes to buffer zones and has been brought up in the past as well. You are 100% not the only person who has made a post including the phrase “let the warden do (xyz)…” in the past week.

To be honest such notions occasionally popped up long before the buffer problem but it seems like this week every thread that gets past 20 or 30 posts has someone suggesting giving wardens power over settlement-wide properties or options.

That’s the reason that I created a completely separate thread.

1 Like

I have never uttered these words. I would never support anything that does that.

I need more permissions/abilities within my own build/community/settlement. Or the new system to be removed. We can’t function anymore. The entire place is paralyzed. I need options to work with or something.

:heart: Vex

Your settlement is the focus of a lot of attention and used as an example in many posts this week. It is possibly the most successful community build in boundless since launch and it’s clear you’re feeling some pressure. More players have interest in Gyosha Mall than any other build I’m personally aware of.

It’s a rough spot but I’m a member too and pretty much everyone I’ve ever spoken to appreciates your effort and your “management style”. While I wouldn’t personally mind if YOU had more power over the settlement that doesn’t change the fact that any such changes also affect my status at home and I think that in the brainstorming of ideas to address a specific set of issues people tend to ignore or forget the follow on problems they will create.

Anyways I can see how you could see this as personally relevant, I assure you it’s not a personal statement about you, and it’s no more specific to your build or ideas than anyone else’s.

5 Likes

I would have to agree that giving a warden power over other players through in game mechanics a bad idea. Way to many people out there that are not good people like @majorvex or some others and would use it as a weapon or force players into having to do things they do not want to do.

Personally, I think the fact that the person that is the warden has their name on a leaderboard creates some of the issues we have now. There are players that value having their name at their top of a leaderboard and will within the mechanics of the game do what they need to in order to get there. Forced merging as a clear example.

4 Likes

I get what you’re saying :cry: :heartpulse: & I hope no one thinks I am only looking at this from my point of view because I promise I am not. I am desperately trying to think of any and all options or way to make any of this work - as I’m sure others are.

I am the last person that would ever support giving ultimate powers of anything, to anyone. If the devs decided to try granting more permissions of some sort, I would gladly volunteer…and have every move posted publicly so no one has to question accountability. I have zero desire to have any control or prestige over anyone else. I just want people to have fun.

1 Like

I completely agree with your post and just want to add (re-emphasize) that the footfall mechanic drives people to merge other people’s settlements as well, even if the person forcing the merge won’t be receiving a title in the resulting settlement.

Both are critical and need addressing before we start dumping powers on wardens.

Also an aggressive or hostile warden is not the only concern. Idling out is also a big deal.

4 Likes

I guess I was thinking warden = over the planet. My apologies (that’s why I said “ultimate”). That’s actually the Viceroy. I don’t think the Viceroy gets any powers though…it’s just vanity, right? If someone were granted ultimate world powers, it should be on their own rental planet imo.

I think the term “settlement” has become a 4-letter-word in this game lol.

I guess due to the new buffer situation I am asking for more permissions within our community…not sure if I’m the warden or not. I never look at that.

2 Likes

So the smallest would be a “camp”, leading to a “post”, then growing into a “burg”. Next it would become a “town” and then a “city”. I cant think of a 4 letter word for anything larger (or inbetween for that matter) :yum:

2 Likes

Yes the warden is the person with the most prestige in the settlement. Sometimes referred to as ‘mayor’ or something else by people.

Like viceroy (warden of the highest prestige settlement on the planet), it’s currently a vanity title.

1 Like

please do not do this we have enough off that useless voting stuff in real life allready

they need delete the warden thing its useless
just have a scoreboard for prestige people that has nothing to do with settlements and city’s etc

5 Likes

I’m absolutely against a warden being given any additional control over other people’s builds.

Just to be clear.

However it seems some people do like the idea of more features or management of certain features being given to this position, and also see this as a possible fix to certain issues regarding sovereignty or settlement protection.

However if basically anyone who wants to can walk up to your settlement and force themselves into the warden position, all I see is this backfiring in a huge way.

Thus is the only reason I would even mention real political systems in the game. I’m definitely not advocating for elections.

sounds like they need run city’s as guild to do stuff like this
warden was there before guild thats where it messed up
now we have guilds involved they need to change the old warden prestige system to fit into guilds i will add that the 100people cap could be to low then to get big city’s organized
then also when run city with guilds (as i allready experienced) its impossible cuase some members dont live in city
also running guilds to act as a city interferes with using a guild to have active members running buffs so like i said in the past a city needs a changed guildsystem
and to add to that malls also need a custom guild system
ive been inventing things myself using the guildbooks to run things but its very limited and after a while you hit a wall with guildcaps etc

so main guild =aquatopian empire no cap runs all the sub guilds
commercial sub guild=aquatopian malls renting system capped
hunting guild=aquatopian knights capped
city guild 1=aqua embassy no cap
city guild 2=sunken town no cap
city guild 3=united farmers farmlands no cap
this way we can finally run empires and aqua empire finally makes sence

so each city can have its hierarchy on its own guildsystem
but the megaguild is final decision if you run under one offcoarse

malls need individual room renting system
citys need have no cap since you be using many alts in that guild to run the city and build acces

sorry for bad explaining this im tired lol

atm its either a bunch off people trying hard to get organized
our a bunch off people pure in it for buffs