Warp cost and Why

So here is a good question. Why does making a warp conduit, the one-way black transportation portal, cost coins to travel? Who gets paid the coins when an Oortling builds it and jumps through it himself?
It’s like we paid ourselves to make it and use it. It makes no sense. The cost of bigger jumps is that we had to throw down more warp conduits and have high enough jump skills.

We made it ourselves, and the cost is that we killed a meteor to get the warps,(use to craft them out of our own materials). The big Portals don’t cost coins to keep them up and running. This in mind, is it possible to not use coins for warps? That coin is lost and doesn’t go to the economy in any way.

1 Like

maybe the coins is made out of a metal that activate it :slight_smile:

I have puzzled about that myself. Everything comes from my own efforts with my gatherer/miner getting mats for my crafter to make weapons with for my hunter to go get the meteor. Then all my characters share and make the warp conduits. So, who am I paying and for what is a giant mystery.

1 Like

Warp cost was the original coin sink in the game, originally 500!

Because the game has an infinite supply of resources and currency. You need an infinite way of taking money back out of the game or inflation will ruin the market as prices rise to levels only a few can afford and thus few people can participate and the economy grinds to halt.

Currently, taxes are acting as a second coin sink, but wont be forever because that is supposed to be going to a player in the end.

3 Likes

One huger question then. If coins are fake, pretend, not real, digital marks, not a bank that needs balanced books, Why does it matter if there is a coin sink? If the world wipes every 13 hours, and we can infinitely keep mining it and thus making the mass grow and grow and grow, and that is okay, why charge us coins in a warp? We are not infinitely richer. And there is in no way enough “sink” in the warps to balance the coins in fees.

So that makes zero sense to me. A game named Boundless, and built on the idea of throwing down a warp and boundlessly jumping to other worlds and areas, is not boundless if its a transaction fee to use it. It’s the point of it for me. Only a few times I’ve been too broke to make a jump. But it does have quite the cost over time.

1 Like

Because not having a sink will cause hyperinflation.

As for the world blocks you take. Recipes are designed to consume them, and then the items break destroying them.

2 Likes

And… Where does the coins come from?
One of the great mysteries of the Oortiverse for sure.

It’s probably to discourage never making conduit portals which by the way rock. It takes some effort in finding a balance for skills/attributes early on but once you do it’s not to hard to do tier 2 meteores solo so you can keep a portal running. Or check stores people sell oort on average (early on) I spent about 2k for 99 oort. Just playing the game completing quests and feats you make alot of coin. Not to mention you can sell certain things you have large amounts off. I get that you are getting at though. I was just speaking from my experiences thus far.

1 Like

Boundless - Weimar Republic Edition :joy:

2 Likes

not speaking of portals with oort, just the warps that take coin.

What happens to the millions of blocks mined that only went into building a house, then the world regenerates, and now there is double of the millions? And that keeps happening to every person that joins the game. Do you feel that charging coins for a warp conduit fights hyperinflation as the game is right now, or is just a small irritant? It doesn’t feel like people really even acknowledge warp coin cost and figure that in to making their money worth more and lowering cost of items in a shop.

Many blocks that are taken from the world like wood and stone can be used in recipes. But it is true certain ones can’t and yes people will build of stocks of those blocks. Many things used in build are currently reclaimed by world regen when players go inactive. But what doesn’t get used in recipes and isn’t claimed by world regen will accumulate, and we can expect those items prices to progressively move toward zero.

As for how effective warp cost are. I don’t know about everyone else but I burn through a fair bit of coin using them.

I personally rarely use them. If traveling, if possible I find a way through portals. If none can be found I warp, but, if I have to warp a character then it’s rare that character doesn’t stay on that planet a week or two before warping back. I just object to paying money to apparently nobody for a service that is entirely from my own efforts. By the time I ever need to warp, I’ll normally run across a path through portals that gets me where I want to go. It doesn’t cause hyperinflation simply because I have never set up a shop stand or request basket for anything. I just keep stockpiling except for one time I couldn’t make more shelves so threw a ton of rocks and other things I had a lot of away to regenerate. If I am in a mood to build (extremely rare) then I go make a wall or roof or something to get rid of things and make space. Money just tends to accumulate with me since I like finding a way to do everything myself and the need for power coils brought my crafting almost to a total halt.

I agree with Zina! I believe that with a game called “Boundless” there should be no cost or very little (like 20 coins/not 590 I currently pay one way) to warp to other worlds. I play other builder games where there is a cost in mats to build warp conduits or portals but to travel to other areas there is no cost and this should be the way it is in this game. So, in order to gain more coin we have to either get achievements to get coffers with coins in them or farm and sell items to trade for coin. One problem is in order to get to a place where I can sell I have to use a warp conduit to find a planet that has a trade area or go through already existing portal hubs (none on my world). So there is the conundrum, folks. It sure doesn’t make the game any fun if I can’t warp freely to the so-called “boundless” worlds. Nice concept, change the cost mechanics of warp travel!!!

Not sure why you’d want to warp everywhere in the first place when you can just take the Portal networks. If you want to go to a remote location then just take a warp augment with you and warp from sanctum. You should never have to pay more than 100ca warp.