Warp Costs in Latest Release

To me this is all part of early access, I don’t see what the problem is. They’re developing core game play, and we get to help with that. They could easily be wiping the worlds with every release, decide grapples don’t belong in the game at all, or decide that you can only build a portal with Unobtanium.

The point is they’re trying to make a game that will appeal to (hopefully) millions of people, its also realistic that it will not appeal to billions of people. The final product will have to be both challenging, and entertaining. They’re getting there, but I have a feeling that what we’re playing now will be vastly different by the time 1.0 comes out.

At the end of the day every skill point you gain, coin you earn, or castle you build is going to go away so whats the problem?

3 Likes

so you are working to make portals more for a bigger communities to achieve and maintain rather than solo players?

1 Like

Opening a portal should be an event, and maintaining it should be quite an undertaking in resources, but like pretty much anything in the game we want to enable dedicated solo players to do it. We want to encourage people to work together, but not force it.

7 Likes

My point here is that the changes you are mentioning are 1.0 core features that are being tweeked, not over polish. It may come as some surprise to you, but multiple people are work on multiple facets of the game at once. Portals, guilds, and other core features are being worked on in parallel to features like grapple hook improvements and work on one does not equal stoppages on another. All of these things are part of a 1.0 feature set and MUST be done. The disapointment you are experiencing is the result of updates being rushed out for play testing before they are ready. (On a side note, grapples are much better after the latest hotfix.) IF guilds and portals were released right now, you’d probably make a long forum post complaint about how broken it is. It’s not uncommon during development for EVERY update to break at least one part of the game. Sometimes it’s no fun for the players. OH WELL!
Lastly, just because you don’t personally know what the planned 1.0 features are does not mean that the dev’s are cutting them. It’s typically safer for developers to under promise and over deliver.
Hf and Gl in what ever games you decide to invest your considerable free time in over the next several months, because meanwhile this game is going to endure several changes and updates that are certain to be irritating players who don’t understand the creative process of game development.

4 Likes

Plase please please :pray:, don’t balance your game around such humongous numbers.
No one likes to run around with 234.567.534 coin, to pay 200.000 for a simple metal tool or 500.000 for a warp.

Now that’s an idea i can get behind of. :+1:
This game definitely needs such huge (community-) undertakings. There is nothing more engaging than having a big project to work on. And there is nothing more rewarding than finishing it and earning the benefits.
(Speaking of experience, building a Titan-sized ship in EvE Online takes about 1000 man hours of work.)

4 Likes

@olliepurkiss: I like the idea that short hops are cheaper than the large one. This will also force the player to discover worlds “step by step”. But as @Vastar mentioned, please keep the currency values “small”. Numbers greater 100k should be avoided IMO.

I can agree with you. This is something I already tried to communicate a couple of times [here and here] but without any success :frowning:

IMO, grapple hook is a “class c” feature that should come in a really late stage because it’s “only a tool”. If this is a doability test for their weapon/tool mechanics it’s fine. But the effort for one simple tool could be seen as “over-polish”. I agree with @Wichall.

@Havok40k: as always I need to disagree with your arguments. Because I don’t want to start another discussion (as so many before) I won’t reply to every (false) argument you named and just refer to the before mentioned links.

1 Like

Some people just don’t have the patience for early access. Not surprising, but irritating.

3 Likes

I think everyone in this thread and community (pretty much) have the right expectations of progress.

Hopefully the general trend is an improving game, but clearly there will be some bumps along the way - and this is simply because we’re releasing updates that have had limited testing and balance. Especially in this case.

Feedback is very valuable to let us know if something was an improvement or deterioration. Whilst not always enjoyable to read it’s valuable and requested.

However I’m concerned about statements highlighted above where the general trend is downwards. It means we’re getting stuff more wrong than right.

Additional: We’re releasing a fix to the spiralling Warp cost shortly today.

10 Likes

This is what I appreciate about the development team. They can take the feedback and recognize trends in the wrong/right direction. This is why it is important to not just chalk things up to “its and early access game”. Yes, it is, but that’s when our feedback (even when we don’t agree as a community) is so important. The open dialog and some times even disagreement can help alot.
Thanks Devs!

5 Likes

Your links were already discussed. The dev communication is loads better than it was around 9 months or so. You have to remember it’s a small team. James does his best to put out weekly updates that are quite comprehensive and transparent.

I think instead of a lack of communication problem we’re seeing a lack of listening problem (on the community side). I’m with @Havok40k, it’s an EA game, things right now are as expected.

@Wichall, think of building a game like building a house. You need a foundation. Support structure. Walls. Roof. Entrances. Etc. All of these are necessary before you can start arranging furniture. And some are necessary before others. You can’t put a roof up if your walls aren’t stable enough to hold it up. But that doesn’t mean the roof isn’t being worked on somewhere else or that it doesn’t even have a design yet. Polishing current features is a necessary step before releasing big new things or your roof could collapse your walls and you have to start all over. You want as much control over what you’ve got as is possible before releasing something that might not play nicely with other things. If you’re looking to start painting or checking out how well the windows and doors open and close, I agree with Havok. Come back in a few months.

But at the moment I’d disagree with James. Your feedback of “this isn’t where I want it to be” and “I think this shouldn’t be released before this” isn’t really that useful. If you have comments to make about things out there, please do so by pointing out specifics and perhaps giving suggestions for improvement! THAT is useful.

4 Likes

The spiralling Warp cost issue has been fixed and the game has been updated.

Here is the updated cost at this point in time. It could change when we go v1.0 :wink:
0 hop = 100
1 hop = 200
2 hops = 300
3 hops = 400
4 hops = 500
5 hops = 600
6 hops = 700
7 hops = 800

13 Likes

I could kiss you.

5 Likes

OOOOOooooh! This reminds me of the opening of the Dark Portal. Fun times ahead!

3 Likes

coming from the guy who thinks the death penalty is too harsh and who thinks enemies hit too hard and that trying to force us to maintain health item back up is too serious for as common and sleuthy as the ai currently is,

im pretty much ok with half polished releases coming out. its part of the fun of an alpha or beta, and if everything is ‘fine and dandy’ what basis or instigation do we have to think up more clever or creative or fair changes?

IMPERFECTION is the greatest catalyst of suggestion. I know there are several YES MEN on the forums who will gladly tell you that every little piece of content polished or unpolished is perfect as is, and who will attempt to justify everything on behalf of the devs but that serves no one positively. In fact it hurts the game imo.

So, id like to see the half polished releases, so that ‘we’ can continue to make suggestions, give constructive criticisms, and or cry like a little girl ahem, death penalty :baby: about things we feel need adjustments.

Also, ALL YOU NEED TO DO!:

is to put a little disclaimer at the beginning of each release notes that ‘hey, all of the numerical values are placeholders. if you see something funky and interrupts the flow/feel of the game then let us know and we will do our best to address it in a timely fashion (with respect to current dev projects) with a solution keeping the long term goals of boundless development in mind’

4 Likes

i agree with james. our feedback during early moments as stated to others in other threads is of the utmost importance.

in terms of the polish, a lot of the polish is minor. numerical values… KEK! we can deal with wonky numbers.

i mean… when i read your first reply about the costs when the release happened, i decided id just work locally till they could be fixed. you saw that they were adjusted rather promptly…

While i understand that with development you dont want to release too much halfway-built stuff as bugs can stack and be created in such a way which causes more work to fix later on. i do also understand that there are a lot of minor tweaks and changes that can be done later if needed such as resource requirements coin costs etc.

I personally prefer the early edition preview easter egg aspect of unfinished work. i like seeing it as it grows, and i love being able to put my feedback in while devs are still undecided, because decided devs seem to be less open to feedback.

meaning, when the games ive played release something ‘polished’ good luck getting them to see comprehend and respond according to player-base feedback / concerns.

while things are released before completion, devs in games ive played seem to be more responsive to the ideals needs and feelings of the community.

1 Like

i dunno if its just me but the grapple doesnt draw in or release for me since the change was made update before last

Different material grapples have different properties (longer, shorter, faster, slower, auto reel, non-reel, etc).

2 Likes

this is 100% amazing!!! this reminds me of the boundless that was advertised when i purchased the game!

i can remember specifically talk from either dev or marketing material about being able to lock down land and charge people to travel / use it. tolls are an awesome idea~ this makes me so hype to have my own portals between worlds~!

it would be nice if the coin they had to pay had to be put in a coin slot / box / piggy bank (spitter bank XD)

oh ok. i was using an iron hook so thats probably why i didnt get to pull myself up to anything. its more of a swinging rope then at that point i guess…