Water problems

Having a glitch where water does not fill in correctly. The more I try to fix it the worse it gets. It use to be two bodies of water separated by a thin piece of land that I dug out to join into one lake. Trying to fill in with sand and digging back out resulted in air blocks in the water. Along the shore line the water stays at a lower level. If any other info would help with a fix just let me know, I would like to help.
Keep up the awesome work on the game.

What’s your location I’ll have a look?

If you want to make water spread it must have 2 blocks of FULL water on each side (north/east/south/west).

So after removing this block with only one side with water is not full (see how it slopes slightly):

but if I remove this block:

I will get full water

This does mean that you can never take full water away from a square shaped lake. In your example I think you are stuck with it not filling in now. If you send me the location I can sort it out for you.

We are still trying to figure out a good way for players to carry water for their own builds so that you can fix these things yourself.

4 Likes

we had this issue allot in aquatopia(dug into a lake) and usally made the waterhole bigger and then try regen sourceblocks by coming with full body off water from the north east sides like dev showed ya it works we used this trick alot

2 Likes

So I kept digging to see what would happen and it resulted in this cool parting of the waters effect. Location is
Berlyn
1184N
-2169E
A 64

1 Like

I’m experimenting with water too, trying to pull a deep lake into an underground river.

I want to make a river 2-3 blocks deep that I can route and branch as needed to create water features, but I am struggling to make deep pools. I’m hoping to learn a bit more about how (moving) water works from what people post in here!

1 Like

yeah we only did surface repairs making it deeper is supergard todo :smile:
it just gonna be dipped in

1 Like

heres one if ya add blocks and then remove them again ya can shape the way water falls but when ya gonna reset the fallingwater and reopen the suply it gonna run in a different way

1 Like

i dont think the water mechanics are unversally fair at the moment (as in you can only get a source block from winning a contest)

I have made various builds/projects now that have had to gone unfinished/removed because of the way water fill works…

I am never going to win a contest because i am not a great builder (asthetically) so my suggestion is… either allow a dev like @james (which will give hima lot more work, chasing after people who need their water flowing a specific way) or remove the consideration from the game fully until full release

Not trying to upset anyone, just giving my honest opinion

Addition - maybe once i get to the point of the overgrowth project, when i am sculpting a pond the devs would come fill it for me? :wink:

1 Like

Water source blocks are being given to contest winners??? What the heckledeck???

1 Like

We have a plan for allowing all players to harvest and place fluid blocks. The issue has always been wanting to find a mechanism that didn’t allow them to instantly become a tool for griefing. So they’re coming for everyone.

In the past we have given out a few blocks to some players. But this clearly isn’t fair to everyone else, so we stopped doing it.

8 Likes

Glad to hear it and excited to see how you’ll implement it.

1 Like

@james and @slyduda

My intention was not to be a XXX about it… i was just explaining that - although i understand it has been for antigriefing purposes (and i would not like to be able to see manipulative water in-game until mechanics could be put in place to stop that kind of thing)

But yes, i agree giving such items away in-game for wow what amazing fountain/building could be seen as great (i have seen it as a good idea in the past) but also… it is slightly unfair to the other people who will never be able to do such things :wink:

Addition - I can already see one way to stop greifers using waer to do so… but not completly - So with the plot permissions and etc… we cannot place a plot directly below or above another persons plot (anywhere on the height map) maybe you could do the same with soruce blocks?

The only issue with this… how would you dissallow someone placing a source block next to someones build/plot?

1 Like

It didn’t sound like it! You’re good! I agree and it seems that James agrees that there are better methods :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Having way too much fun playing with the weird water mechanics. Thinking I might have to build a Disney Jungle Cruse area.

You got rid of the source blocks. Devs can help but they will be putting something in place to help with this issue later.

EDIT: my bad didn’t realize this was on the same thread… it’s a little late hehe

1 Like