Wb, some newbie questions

Hi I try to understand the wb-tool ( i know it soon coming a new version, but its fun to play with…) and got a few question…

1. Worldsize. I suppose world-size is measured in chunks, at lowest size its 88, highest 512512, but how large in blocks are a chunk (Im to lazy to set up a small world and count them manually…)?

2. I try to use a highmap i made to cover a world 1 pixel to 1 block, but it seems i cant offset the highmap to fit Images upper corner to the worlds upper corner. Whatever i try it still seam the edges in the center of the world. See picture…

Regards

Edit, the highmap;

16x16 ithink?

Have you made sure that there is abselutely no borders on your picture? I had that problem at first. Untill I removed them.

The center of the world is (confusingly) at the corners of the heightmap - offset your heightmap in both directions by 50%. e.g:

1 Like

I have tried to offset it, but i cant offset in world, or biomess, only in the view of the bitmap (the little red eye), but its gone when i close the window. Then i try to offset bitmap itself.

Edit: yes, it worked when offsetted sourcemap outside wb.

Thx for help.

Yes, think it 1616, i roughly count a 88 world, and get to around 120 :slight_smile:

Yeah, the confusion is just that 0,0 in the bitmap maps to 0,0 in the noise function (e.g. the center), and it wraps around at 50% of the bitmap in either direction

Those offsets are purely for previewing the world, since the WB doesn’t display the entire world at a time; you can offset to scroll around the world, and change the scale to “zoom out”

Yes, got it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been completely confused with world builder too actually, whenever I make a world and look at the world preview it’s always just a flat transparent grey thing? Can somebody post a picture of an example world with the weird modules as well? Or a file?

This my test-setup for the first post, with offsetted highmap.

2 Likes

So for a high-map of 4096 i need to set the worldsize to 256 to get 1pixel to 1 block, looks good so far. But how do i get boundless to find my world? I have saved it and let the wb run in background when i start boundless, but it say no worlds in wb-universe…

are you running the pre-alpha version or the c++ one? I would assume that the current version of WB will only work wth pre-alpha.

1 Like

I run C++ version, but i will try old one…
No, still say no worlds…

Edit: I forgot to start local server…
Now it work in pre-C++, but C++ crash…

1 Like

AFAIK we can’t use the old world builder with the new C++ game engine; we’ve just gotta wait for the new world builder there - soon!

Waiting for it :slight_smile: Just playing around, got some time over…

1 Like

The current World Builder is only compatible with the default version of Boundless.
The new World Builder will only be compatible with the C++ version of Boundless.
(As you’re both assuming - but I wanted to confirm it.)

Whilst the new World Builder is a big change (biome parts, the way part biomes are selected, new block types, new instancing / custom node / library system, updated GUI, map support) all the general biome + noise ideas remain the same. So it’s definitely worth playing with the current World Builder, as everything you learn will be valuable with the new World Builder.

4 Likes

Gosh I miss clouds.

3 Likes

Got another problem now, as the tests continue…
Have got grass in via substrate, and want to get some trees in to…
But what ever i try i cant get them to show up.

Assign a function to the noise input on the plantation node, and play around with the threshold slider. It places trees wherever the input function exceeds the threshold (while observing the density constraint)

Yes worked
Many thanks :slight_smile:

2 fast (i hope) interface-question:
I know what cave and surface is, but what is threed?
And how to remove links between nodes? Now i have to remove the node to get rid of the link.

1 Like

it’s like 3d :stuck_out_tongue: you can use this to create floating islands and such

1 Like