We need to overhaul portals and portal fueling

We don’t need the amount of portals we have in game currently. Like anything based on economics, supply and demand will determine how many active portals the universe needs.

Portals are a luxury.

3 Likes

The thread is about alternative ways to power portals but has since strayed into potentially nerfing one entire occupation. It’s only fair to compare it to another.

3 Likes

Let it be minable like it says in the knowledge tab. I don’t want another farm ever. Unless crop and seed was improved.

Unfortunately the only way this would happen is if every other current and potential future network agreed to merge into one.

People like running their own networks their own ways; this combined with the issues of things like ownership and what design the hubs would be means this can never realistically happen.

Although its got me thinking how much coin it would cost to straight up buyout a network…

I run around 20 portals, most of them are 2x1, a couple 2x2 and a single 4x2 and I can fuel them pretty easily. I even have oort left to sell and to craft deco blocks.

I only hunt like 40 minutes when there is a hunt happening(and I dont always attend to hunts), recently started hosting and thats the only time where I hunt for 90 minutes.

People who can’t afford to run their portals is because they have too many.

Also

Is this what you talk about?

5 Likes

It would be great if there were some action taken to make this happen. I wonder what the “fuel curve tweak” would be?

5 Likes

Hopefully means making all size portals eat the same amount as a 2x1 lol.

Maybe just increasing the opening toll as blink secs increase?

2 Likes

Uhhh… ohhhh… this thread seems to hit a nerve.
So many entries in 4 hours. :open_mouth:

As for my experience with Ultima Network.
It is every week a struggle to get enough Oort for our Planetary Network.
I know we (executive Ultimas) could be more online, we wasn’t lately, since all of us feels a bit burned out.
But i am caring for leaving the Portals up as long as possible.
We aren’t hunter, so it is hard for us to get Oorts except from people who sell them.
Every other method to get them would be very very helpful for us.

Beside this i notice an ongoing growing of Oort Price, while the Footfall is decreasing more and more in case of less and less player.
And for Reason of less player, we have less hunter, that means less Oort on the market.

Thats a Teufelskreis, i would say in Germany. :wink:

I don’t think Oort-Seems should be available in masses, but i think they should be based on the amount of Oort that is going each hour into the Nirvana.
Per Example, if there are 10000 Oortshards burned in an hour at actual open Portals in whole Boundless, lets make the half of them obtainable by Mining.
Maybe even 100% of actual Oort Need ingame, since Oort is also used to make Deco-Blocks.

That example also awakes my interest in the question, how many open Portals has Boundless, and how many Oorts are used every hour in summary? :thinking:

4 Likes

Good luck with that. This discusses shows up every other week and not one of these threads had some input or acknowledgement from a dev. From my observation, they are always quiet if they are happy with the current situation and interact in the discussion of they are willing to change the game.

Then suddenly they went ahead and added Oort Seams.

Lots of people waiting to see how/if they take action on that.

1 Like

tbf this topic is so controversial that anything they say would trigger a lot of players lol.

2 Likes

Oort seams have been in game since EA. I’ll need to look it up, but them showing up on certain planets is kind of a rounding error or something during creation. Similar to that single prestige plant on an exo before they fully released.

True it is.
Buuut they also need to notice, that their game just can work, if there are enough portals open.
If the Oort Situation is going worse, less and less portals will be available and new player will think more than they already do, that the game is not filled up with active player.
They can continue driving the path they do, but what price it will have?
A game just can work, if there are enough player.

Another side thought, what, if we get rental and private planets?
Nobody left on the MMO-Server? Nobody keep open portals, because nobody has time to spend in the MMO, because on the rental they can build far away from struggles of MMO Life Server?
Well just a thought, but possible happenings.
The Devs would be stupid to be quiet in this case.

1 Like

Oort seams were always in the game and most level 6 planets had Oort listed on their resources page. If I remember it correctly, @Mayumichi once calculated that it was 2 Oort seams on Cardass and 1 on the others.

I don’t think they can change the current planets and if they can it’s just going to be walled of. And if they spawn an Oort exo it will just be collected by the first few people. I don’t think they can implement Oort seams in any fair, useful way that would be good for the game. Oort must be collected in an “instanced” way, e.g. through farming, something like the minter or by making hunting fun.

I would appreciate either a “we are happy with the scarcity of Oort and hope the price rises even more” or a “the current situation is not ideal and we would like to add an additional Oort source” or a “we think everybody should be able to run 100 portals but our servers can’t handle it but we are working on the backend”.

I don’t know, I would appreciate if they would find a way to distribute Oort fairer between the player.

1 Like

Sure but only (somewhat) recently they added it to knowledge, etc… and seem to have laid the groundwork for spawning some into the game.

They can change the current planets. They proved this when they added all the farming crops. These were new to the game and had new drops. So it is not impossible to add something like Oort seams to an existing planet. It did take a while to regen the universe but it happened.

1 Like

Most likely they accidentally merged the wrong path with some long forgotten test changes and because we noticed they didn’t undo it (because reverting it would be a statement).

Good point. But I still don’t know how this could be added to not further help the p2w-mine-wallers.

What if there was a way to use a sluice in rivers to collect oort dust that could be compacted into oort shards?

Kinda like gold panning during the old gold rush days

Could be a new activity

Kinda, if i want to make a portal 2x1 that jump 60 blinksec the game let me do it. If i want a 5x5 portal that jump 1 blinksec then i can without the jump in cost.

I think cost should only be from how many blinksec you wanna jump and not limited to the portal size.

Edit: Plus on the design side it would allow way more option. now we have to deal with the limited portal size so it fits our build.

7 Likes

I can understand the overall system load from linking planets together, but I’m not clear on the server side costs of a 10x10 vs. a 1x2 portal traveling the same distance.

If it doesn’t add to server/infrastructure costs I’m 100% for this.

If it increases overall costs to maintain the game then I can sure understand why they woudn’t want to change the setup.

3 Likes