Weapon, Tool and resources discussion thread

I have previously posted about this topic on other threads. But I thought a dedicated thread for discussing this subject might both interest potential players of Boundless and perhaps help add variety to the vast world of Boundless.

Boundless is supposed to be a very large, expansive universe with resource excesses and deficiencies across various worlds.

One of my issues with Minecraft was that no matter where you went, you could find the important resources. Iron, diamonds, gold, coal (Although many players forget about charcoal), redstone, lapiz. There was very little variation across large areas, unlike in the actual world. Concentrated deposits of gold, that ancient people’s would have been able to notice and mine, were very rare.

Availability of resources shaped entire cultures. In Japan, limited resources combined with isolationism caused centuries of war between clans. Lack of metal and the related technologies caused tribal people’s of the Pacific to work with what they had. Strangely, central american people worked gold, and knew of copper, but often used wooden and obsidian based weapons. (Also no wheel)

Resources can shape cultures, trade builds empires, lack of resources causes wars and migrations.

I know of a few of the tool tiers Boundless has, or had, gold, titanium, sapphire.

Gold has numerous applications, both in the real world and in fantasy settings. In fact, I almost want to see a game that uses ‘physical’ coinage again, where you carry coins with you to buy things. In ancient and medieval times, large transactions were often done via titles, deeds, or ingots. Copper and bronze was the common people’s currency, silver somewhat but mostly the money of merchants and artisans, gold was used among higher classes. But back on point, gold can be used in potion making, and enchantments. It can be used in gilding and decoration. But it makes terrible weapons, gold is insanely dense, soft, and rare.

Sapphire, like all stones, is hard. Hard items have their place, but a sapphire weapon, besides being insanely expensive, would shatter either if it strikes something harder then itself or from repetedly impacting other things. A durability issue.

Titanium was just about beyond ancient technology, but in a fantasy setting I have no issues with it. It’s lightweight, durable, and corrosion resistant. (Ironically because it actually forms the protective layer so quickly) Around 40% lighter then typical steel, it would make amazing armor and bladed cutting/slicing/and perhaps piercing weapons. Some say Tolkien based mithril on titanium. A coat of rivited titanium mail would be near impervious to being cut or pierced by bronze, iron (mild steel) and primitive steel weapons. However, titanium would make terrible blugeoning weapons, and I’m not sure about the ballistics on titanium tipped arrows and other missiles as regards air resistance.

Steel: This is such a complicated subject, there are tons of kinds of steel. Mild steel, or soft steel, can actually be cut by hammered bronze. But bronze cannot compete with more advanced, hardened steel, which will damage it very quickly. Japanese katanas were folded so many times to reduce slag content, because their smelting technology was not advanced enough to create purer steel. High carbon content steel was folded until enough slag was burned off, but enough carbon remained to keep the steel hard. European steel technology was more advanced in its durability, as they adopted the use of ‘spring’ steel. A katana will chip or bend. The legendary Ulfbert sword was made of steel that someone (Around India) INGENIOUSLY figured out how to heat to 3000 f. There are many varieties of steel, smelting techniques and forging techniques.

Bronze: As steel/iron technology progressed it outpaced bronze, but bronze is still respectable. Bronze blades can easily lop off limbs. Bronze is functionably castable, and corrosion resistant. It can easily be unbent. It is far easier to work then steel. In my opinion it looks much better.

Tungsten: Ahhh. A semi mythic modern metal. Tungsten is very, very hard and durable. It’s melting point is an insane over 6000 f. Unworkable with ancient tech, but this is a fantasy universe. It would make a good alloy, mace, warhammer, chains.

Armor: Leather armor drives me nuts. You don’t use that soft leather for armor. You use it to make belts, straps, saddles ect. Boiled or rawhide lamellar is what you would craft as regards leather armor. Gambeson was the awesome armor of the common man, even under mail or plate. Gambeson is made from textiles, and is highly effective. It also keeps you warm. Mail is given a bad rep because of Hollywood and people doing tests on butted mail. Well butted mail was (uncommonly) used in history, riveted mail was the order of the day, and it was very effective. Modern (Or fantasy) technology let’s you make soldered mail, even better. Mail is self cleaning and easy to fix. Plate armor of thicker hardened bronze, or much better hardened steel, was near impermeable to cuts and piercing. You can’t cut hard steel plate with a steel sword by hand. You need to target joints, or use a heavy weapon.

‘Primitive weapons’: I love so called primitive weapons. They are really amazing.

Amazing, I would love to see these in game. There is so much potential for beautiful lethality.

What are the communities thoughts and comments on this?

Would you like to hunt with arrow tips sharper then scalpels? Or make hardwood warclubs?

Would you like to wear woven cotton, silk or linen armor into battle?

How about being a legendary armor smith who makes mail with better stats then the other guys?

Or a skilled flint napper, making lethal daggers and arrow heads?

Would you like a customization system where you can dye, etch, enamel, carve and decorate your tools and equipment?

For the devs, what are your plans regarding resource distribution?

Would you consider adding more unique less often seen materials and crafting recipes to the game?

5 Likes