Weekly Dev Update: 2016 May 20th - Mega threads, Mac OS X issues and more

As a general rule I would say each region should be at least 200x200 blocks, though there could be exceptions like rivers, valleys, lakes, etc.
I think things that should get names (maybe generated by world builder?) are:

• rivers that contain more than x (like 1000 maybe) blocks of water. rivers could be defined and generated by world builder so they can be differentiated.
  • lakes with more than x (again around 1000ish) blocks of water.
  • mountain ranges
  • all biomes

A good way to do this would be name each continuous biome as generated by world builder. I like how cubeworld did it, where each biome had a name, and towns/rivers/mountains/dungeons/etc in that biome had an area around them with a different name.

This is roughly the approach weā€™re taking.

However a big difference between Cube World and Boundless is that Cube Worldā€™s world gen is (likely) a fixed function algorithm, whereas Boundlessā€™ is programmable by a nodel structure. Meaning that itā€™s nontrivial as the generation is total unknown until defined and executed.

200x200 blocks would translate into ~400 named biome regions.

This is probably a bit high.

We want to strike a balance between naming some discoverable and collectionable regions per world, helping to seed the environment and allowing players space to sculpt and name their own environment.

1 Like

I am going to air my idea of a sub biome only spawning once again, ( i have no idea if that is really possible). Those seems like stuff that would be worthy naming.

Not exactly sure what youā€™re suggesting here. Each world should only have a single instance of any sub biomes?

Yeah 400~ named biomes seems a bit high, but I said at least 200x200 blocks. There would of course be large biomes that are much bigger than that, but I would think the smallest area that should get a pre generated name is 200x200.

Iā€™m not feeling super strongly about naming regions compared to other parts of the games, but it would make sense to me if the only names were player generated. After all, different geographical regions in the world today didnā€™t name themselvesā€¦people named them. The Great Clexian Ocean lying at the foot of The Fantastic Clexian Mountains probably didnā€™t start out being named such until some humble, modest traveler stumbled across them :wink:

Edit: forgot my disclaimer for those who read into things too muchā€¦

Disclaimer: the last sentence of the original post was written with the intent of being both a joke and making the point of the sentence before it.

1 Like

More that when making the world you can mark a sub biome to only generate one instance, this making so that unique areas can exist within in the world.

This could for example be a a mountain biome with a higher heightmap than any other mountains effectively creating a landmark that would obviously standout from the rest of the biomes that will often repeat a few times.

The problem really is I have no idea how you could make that generate effectively.

1 Like

Unless the regions that were to be named tied into the lore of the game and were identified somehow by a discoverable glyph (there are still over 1000 unique glyphs unaccounted for ;)) ā€¦

Were you hinting along those lines here @james?

2 Likes

Dickbuttā€¦ Dickbutt names everywhereā€¦

I thought the same until i realized that would be that. Also it would allow complete narcissism to shine through (you were joking. some wouldnt be)

Personally i believe, if possible, it would be interesting to mix predetermined and random. Forexample have a prefix or suffix with a random name

Valley of ____
___ Mountain
Forest of ___

To give atleast a sense of which is which. so instead of people going ā€œwhat was zyx again?ā€ to ā€œwhich of the forests were the forest of zyx again?ā€ to narrow it down atleast a bit.

Potentially set up a randomizer with a variety of phonemes and then put them together to create the names. Of varying lengths from 2 to 5.

A really interesting example of this used is a small one man f2p mmo called ā€œProject Gorgonā€ which uses ā€œwords of powerā€. The words are randomly generated and upon using one it will never be able to be used again. It can be read about here

http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Words_of_Power

EDIT: If you want to make sure that you dont get potentially offensive names you could upload a limitation on the game not being able to generate any word in the english, french and german dictionary. It might limit it too much but its worth considering.

4 Likes

Well thatā€™s why James is asking about editorial powers hehehe. Also I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with narcissism in naming regions. Happens in the real world all the time haha. If you donā€™t want to live in The Incredible Clexian Caves, thatā€™s fine :stuck_out_tongue: .

Procedurally generating different region names is fine too. And I think James has already hinted that guild/player locations are a thing. So Iā€™m satisfied. Just wanted to have some fun :smiley:

3 Likes

As long as the font includes emoji (and oortoji, of course), Iā€™ll be satisfied :stuck_out_tongue:

We not need unique name for every one biome. I mean, region is more than one biome. For example, huge region Ithilien can include:
Ithilien Forest, Ithilien Valley, Ithilien River, Ithilien Meadows, Ithilien Plains, Ithilien Foothills, Ithilien Highlands, Ithilien Mountains, Ithilien Peaks, Ithilien Plateau, Ithilien Ravine, and more:
Great Ithilien Swamp, South Ithilien Sands, Upper Ithilien Dale, Scary Ithilien Canyon.

4 Likes

Giving it a hierarchy is a cool idea!

3 Likes

Can confirm- I name everything Havok ______. I canā€™t help it, Iā€™m so pretty and my build needs a pretty name! :blush:

Think a region found for every 1000 - 2000 blocks (at least) would be good. if a world is (only) 4kx4k it would have about 8-16 regions ā€¦ but if you take Okkelinorā€™s method ā€¦

ā€¦ we could also have only 2-4 named main areas which each would have sub-regions ā€¦ on this way it would feel more like countries then only ā€œregionsā€ :wink:

4 Likes

2-4 named area per world is very little and not enought. But look on Middle Earth: this world has many areas, big and small, and they can be divided to more smaller areas with mutual names.

I think, areas hierarchy is the only one way to naming =)

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea! If we he an Oortarian language, then things could sound a bit more fantastical!

1 Like

I would favor generated names so long as they could serve to orient a lost player with out a map or compass. Example, a generated name could be something like ā€œNorthern Wastesā€ for a desert/tundra to the geographical north, or ā€œSouthern Lowlandsā€ for a swamp to the geographic south. To personalize the names, the suffix ā€œof ___ā€ could be added to denote whomever first fully mapped the region as a sort of exploration achivement. Such as ā€œNorthern Wastes of Havok40kā€

2 Likes

Agreed. I just think that cosidering playable races are alien, Dale, Valley, Forest, ectā€¦ Seems a bit too mideval earth. Hoping for something a bit more immersive.

Yes, butā€¦ Iā€™m not an alien. I may play an alien character, but there is a point where immersion bleeds over into confusion.

2 Likes