What Da Bleep Do We Know About Farming?

place-able water and lava comes with the update

thats exactly what I meant saying I’m curious about functional side of things.

I can’t really plan ahead (choice of farm size, soil type, world type etc.) if I don’t know at least some of the details.
That’s why I am not building, plotting anything before I know more.

We won’t know much before it comes to testing, I guess. Unless we get more hints.

1 Like

From what I understood you had to keep them up but I don’t know if that changed.

the only crops that can “die” are the prestige crops, normal crops (organic or inorganic) will never die.

28 Likes

you mean deco ones? the vine and such? so they need to be constantly watered and have the light source?

and does it mean normal crops will stay in the full grown state forever and can be gathered at any time (such a help to avoid “second job” trauma when one needs to remember to log in in a narrow time window or lose all crops)

the “ornamental oortweed”, “imperial harlequin” and “ancestor’s blade”, as per the art shown they have a “withered” final state, rather than a “fully grown ready to harvest” final state.

yes, the others will just remain “fully grown ready to harvest” forever.

28 Likes

3 Likes

That is awesome news

hmm might end up decorating with the non-prestige plants so I do not have to worry about them dying and then having to replant them every so often. Sounds like this could become a second job if you have too many of them.

You said “remain ready to harvest forever”. And if you harvest them? Will that kill it or will they regenerate and be harvestable again and again?

3 Likes

I bet we have to regrow them once they are harvested. Till the soil, find a seed, plant a seed, water and wait for them to grow again. But would be interested to see if you get a response. I wonder where the initial seeds come from.

3 Likes

I’m guessing we will need to extract the seeds from various plants, grass seeds, and drops that we already have and others will come from exoplanets.

1 Like

Hmm I would be concerned about exo planets being a source as they can really limit someplayers ability to gather them, but I would agree with the other portion of your comment. I am hoping once you do plant something, when you harvest is, you get one or more seeds that you can plant again. Maybe you can harvest for a seed or harvest for the end product? Or you get both seeds and end product?

1 Like

I was wondering how a hanging crop would work if the crops required direct overhead light. Since they have a support over them the only way to have done it would require them to hang from glass. With this I am hoping they can hang from anything as long as they have a way for sunlight to hit them from the side.

1 Like

Possibly requires poles or beams(?) as they don’t take up a full block and should still allow sunlight through. Or maybe a half chiseled block will do. Really looking forward to getting my hands on all of this - it’s going to change the game completely!

6 Likes

Or maybe artificial light, like lanterns.

I think everyone who minted their growth may regret doing it though.

Seeds will probably drop from existing plants, new wild plants, or maybe from grass. Maybe they’ll have a chance to be found when you dig certain things (tangle, growth, thorns, corruption, or growth?)

1 Like

I’m just guessing but when they do the update on it I would think that the plants would just show up. When we gather them we would get the fruit and one or two seeds randomly. Same as when we harvest berries from trees, we don’t get a berry from every bunch of leaves (or foliage) and so not every fruit or whatever it will be called with have seeds.

The vining ones would probably need the poles to climb on, like regular climbing vines that are put on trellis for climbing flowers or veggies such as pole beans. One of my favorite green beans, Tenn Green pods, yummmm.

Just as a lot of video games have you plant and grow crops, each plants will provide along with the food item one to two seeds. If we have the berry vine and it give us five fruit on each vine, one could be a seed.

What I want to know is can we collect a plant from a level 5 planet and grow it on a level 2 planet or do we have to create a farm on that planet? That will be a pain. For making dyes, I am thinking (lousy memory) that we will have to grow it there to be used as a dye, are all plants able to be used as a dye, and could we bring soil from that planet, or does it have to have that atmosphere, not just that soil?

It might be a combination of environment, atmosphere, and the like. There will probably new “Tints” too so you can apply it to the plants.

Does this mean new foods and maybe new forging ingredients too?

Hopefully we can collect the plants/seeds :sunflower::wilted_flower: from wherever they appear & bring them back to our base to farm/grow them (like you can in MC, Creativerse, RS, Terraria, etc).

It seems like the combustion fuel one is different though. Perhaps we’ll get the fraction core from a new creature or dungeon? Maybe it comes from T8 planets? Also…combustion+fuel=needed for a vehicle? :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Jet packs have been hinted/joked about after all!