What do YOU think Boundless needs to regain more players?

I am Chinese. There are many fans of sandbox games in China and Japan nowadays. I have let some of my chinese friends buy this game. They really want Chinese translation. LOL

10 Likes

I don’t think lowering the price would help… adding depth to make $60 seem justifiable seems a better solution. I get that ‘sandbox’ games aren’t really supposed to have much direction, but a bit of lore or npc’s or side-quests - especially while new players learn how much content this game actually offers - might suck them in a bit more. Early boundless play feels kinda floaty.

1 Like

I feel like there’s some kind of hold up in development, evidenced by lack of release of the hunter/wraith and lack of a new roadmap. The game needs hype. I haven’t seen any. Boundless is a great game, but without talk from the devs that it has a future, I find myself doubting that there is much of one left.

Hype!!!

h86L92h9AWChLm1q7z

3 Likes

giphy-2

2 Likes

The crafting time is Not a Problem.
Place more Maschines and all Good

5 Likes

Ingame moderation, humans tend to play by their own rules unless you give them rules to play by :3

Btw if you want to help keep the new players we have it’d be great if some of you got into the ingame questions-help channel and anwsered newbie questions, I can’t be online all the time and this is a big part of early game for starting players.

1 Like

I didn’t even knew that channel existed until someone mentioned it here …

2 Likes

Yes some type of in game voice chat.

1 Like

1st More content related to the story of Oort
2º A different beginning that teaches everything you can do at the beginning but without settling in a place from the beginning because afterwards you will have to move safely or failing that, add the scrolls so that moving, it’s a torture like it’s now.
3º That the publicity of the game corresponds to the current content of the game and not as it is now that you show us many interesting things of pve content that is not available giving the feeling that game development has not been finished yet
4º The part of the initial guide, encyclopedia, missions and rewards need to be more polished and clear, that it is not an indispensable requirement to enter the forum to look for information.
5th Bring somehow everything from forum, except discussions and suggestions, to the game. Trade announcements, info the guilds, portal networks, hunting announcements, etc.
6th If section 5 is not possible, change the format of the forum so that the essential functions to be able to enjoy the game 100% that are separated from the part of the forum dedicated to the discussion and suggestions, these feelings become quite toxic In addition to being unpleasant as an escape for a new player, when encountering many complaints and suggestions, reinforcing the idea that this is not a finished game but an early access.
7º Add a novice level forging system for the lower metals (also the inclusion of a new alloy, the steel, for intermediate levels) without such randomness that it serves as an introduction to the forging system.
These would be my suggestions to improve player retention.

1 Like

Let me just explain how you fix that, make 50 machines and mass craft in them you will get 50 times more in same time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For those of you who keep saying the crafting times are fine, you obviously have never been a casual player here. If this is your primary form of entertainment and you spend half your life here, I’m sure 2 hour+ crafting times are no big deal for you. For the six months I could barely play there was no point in building unless I spent weeks crafting, and when I would run out of blocks or tools it just felt like the game was pointless and made me log off for a few days because the fun was over for weeks.

7 Likes

Thats why if you are a casual player, you dont play grinding games alone…

Oh yes, the automatic and stereotypical “you are playing in your sandbox wrong” argument. Not many players feel good about being a drain on the group they are in, and I’ve never seen a casual group continue playing for more than a couple months before most (usually all) of them leave. Which is why I’m bringing it up in this thread.

I was lucky enough to have millions of coins from crashing the coil market from 14k-7k after release before my daughter was born and I lost most of my gaming time. Most casual players don’t have that. There is a reason most casual players give up, and they make up the vast majority of gamers. It would probably benefit WS to look at why they are able to keep people who spend more time in-game than out and not able to keep people who can only play a few hours a week.

13 Likes

Casual players sure do play grinding games alone… I assure you there are a lot of us…career, family and free time just don’t align with a lot of friends play times and styles. I would also suggest grinding games have limited profitability if they don’t consider the casual player as a customer. Because of real life we are limited to what we play, and chances are we only Have time to play one game. There’s also the reality we probably have alittle more flexible income to put towards the games that consider us as a customer.

11 Likes

Events - more seasonal events for those that exist and for those that don’t. I know we’ve got Halloween, Christmas, valentines and Easter (gleam bow). But what about other seasonal events from different cultures.

Quests - mostly fetch quests that help you progress through the game. I know we already have feats as a quest feature but what about quests that add to the lore and character of the game.

Random rare item drops - like Majorvex said up above. Sometimes you get a random unusual drop.

More planet variety - give me a world with just one tiny island on and we can all squeeze on.

Less spread out community - Hoi Hoi. Have we met in game? Probably unlikely (again my home is on Gloviathosa (EU hub) come out of the Ultima Hub search for places selling atlases my place is called Last Retreat).
Ok this point means that I think sometimes we can’t communicate as easily as we like. Sometimes you play Boundless and you hardly see any one for days. It would be nice if we could all come together instead of spreading ourselves out into the Boundless universe. I understand we all want our own space but sometimes people want to be social. (Ok I might be my own hypocrite as my place is in the middle of no where) I don’t know where I’m going with point. On to the next.

Language accessibility - yeah just open the game up to more languages.

Suppose we got to remember that Boundless is an indie title and the work the devs put in has so far been outstanding. I just hope we can continue to support Boundless and help and watch it grow into what we want the game to be and what it will become.

I often ramble on so hopefully some of these points make sense.
A lot of people have made some great points on this thread :thread:

3 Likes

the universe channel should be like the notifications. And at least show up at the all channel especially the help-question channel.

The universal channels are basically pointless ATM because they are the only ones that don’t show up in all.

Lol i see the mention several times “shorter craft times”. Have 3 machines of each and i ain’t a casual in a long shot.

Yes from time to time i have to wait till something is done crafting. And thats my own fault because I forgot to start the machine(s). But most time spent in boundless is building and other activities than waiting till my machine is done.

As i am writing this post haven’t crafted anything for today except compact clay (started between material dumps at my base).
Before i did quit I started all machines to craft bricks. All i have to do is when i come back on dump it in the oven and continue building.

My advice collect the materials start things and get some more or do something else. Time consuming crafts start them before you quit.

Crafting times (even if i have to wait some times) are just fine as is. Do something els in the meantime like getting more materials because you never have enough.
Take it from me 30ss bricks placed and I don’t know where it went to.

This isn’t an issue of trying to put anyone down, just an honest assessment that Boundless can not handle if we open the floodgates and increase our population tenfold over a matter of days. Add to that the fact that Boundless communication barely works when we speak the same language and compound the issues we already have like settlement absorption with communication barrier and nobody’s going to have a good time… with Boundless Version: Today.

You would have to seriously prep for that market - it is NOT easy to eat a dragon. How could Boundless prepare?

1. Fix game chat
  2. Translation capabilities, like most MMOs have
  3. Absolute must - private servers!!!

My good friend spent $40,000 on some internet game with card decks, whatever that popular one is - not Magic, some other one… and he regularly placed at the top of the world leaderboards. We are not accustomed to that win at all costs culture.

I don’t word things good, but I’m no racist. 100 Koreans working together could literally plot the surface of an entire planet in a matter of months, and I do not mean that as an insult.

I find this entire statement inappropriate.

And some gamers have spent $100k-$1mil. Not the point.
Whether or not Boundless has the capacity to handle a large influx of players has nothing to do with race or country of origin.

2 Likes

I wish there was another word for the market that didn’t imply race or anything like that because this has nothing at all to do with genetic lineage or where you live. All I can say is that I saw first-hand in Everquest groups of like-minded players put resources on lock down, and that was no fun for anybody. We had a rotation, they didn’t play by the rules, we had to find new servers.

1 Like