What happened to the beautiful lighting

If it’s a shader option can we get an option to change it back to the way it was a year ago.

3 Likes

I hate the sunlight in the evening, it is right in your eyes as the sun sets and blinds you. Get attacked and can’t see where to shoot. Have even gone over a cliff and got hurt because I couldn’t see where I was going.

Wish they would change that to not so bright, glaring.

6 Likes

yea it can get really bad i remember a streamer one time saying the devs shod add a Photosensitive warning cuz of it get moving the right way and the god rays(sun beam) can start going off like a disco light

Also really miss the old graphics :pensive:

10 Likes

It was discovered in another similar topic that the main difference is really just increased gamma.

All we really need is a gamma slider with fine tuning adjustment, or if it has to be incremental then like 0-255 or 0-100

4 Likes

Oh yes please!
Come back my lighting, man!

That’s like my number 1 complain about the game right now … besides same-face-syndrome.

It’s really hard to pinpoint what I’m missing, but overall the old screenshots seem to have more contrast and more vibrant colors.

Nostalgia Time:

7 Likes

To be fair, a few shots from today:

It’s really hard to pinpoint what I’m missing. It’s only minor differences and in direct comparision I would say it might indeed only be a contrast/gamma/tonemapper tweak away.

Did we have more ambient occlusion with the old system that is now gone or way toned down? :thinking:

1 Like

To me it looks like the shadows were softer in EA.

1 Like

The game has lost half its charm for me :pensive:

1 Like

has the light shifted more blue so it looks more harsh like led compared to an old light bulb?

1 Like

Yes, i think that the sunlight has shifted more to a white or cold light and the old sun had a warmer light.
The color of the atmosphere has also a lot more influence compared to the old system.
I’ve read multiple Dev comments that they are trying to reduce the impact of the atmosphere color.

It’s most prominent on the high level worlds that get the lollypop colors from their atmospheres, but I think it’s also what fades the colors on the earthlike worlds.

(My screens from today are a bad example, because i have a lot of blue and purple gleam in my build + it’s night time, but you can see the colder light in other screenshots.)

It will be interesting to see what the new lighting is like. I remember the shift in EA, I was removing blocks from all over my build and replacing them with ones that looked better in the new light.

It will also be interesting to see what they do about the atmosphere colors since apparently they will have some affect on the dye farming.

I was thinking it just depends what color lets say soil you are using.

Not my understanding of what they had planned.

Dripstone farming - cultivate your own dyes by farming throughout the known worlds. Each world atmosphere will mutate your crop’s tint and with skill and perseverance you’ll open up the full spectrum of building materials.

This is why I think the atmosphere matters for this kind of farming.

edit: I interpret “skill and perseverance” as if you are willing to grind for weeks. :expressionless:

1 Like

Maybe it’s only the type of atmosphere that matters and not their color.
Toxic turns into green, Burn into red, etc.

1 Like

i miss old lightning as well.

1 Like

I read that as the atmosphere type (potent, caustic etc.) will affect the colour in some way :smiley: We might have to wait and see how it really is.

I vote for the old gamma

4 Likes

It seems like they changed it to offer each planet a unique color variance but to me yea that was a good idea but it kind of ruined the magic feel of the game.

3 Likes

Ah ye sry totally miss read that one.
Hopefully they are not adding more epics -.-’

1 Like