What if oort shards were stored like currency? : Ideas for big changes

Actually I don’t carry them unless it is more than me. I just go to Sanctuary and use the portal there to the location. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Makes me feel sad I go through a SS of warps a day :joy::joy: Muhahaha :cookie:

Would have edited this post but it locked me out too quick…

I meant this to increase the portal slots so standard shards could fuel a portal for a min of 2 weeks regardless of size. Which If my calculations are correct, means second slot at 5 portal conduit, third slot at 14 conduit, and a fourth slot at 24 portal conduit.

no, 100times no. anything that isn’t a “new player shop” will just use portal shards as currency, making coin useless, locking new players out of “the good stuff” since they won’t have a way to get shards until they get to higher level worlds and/or join a hunt…

ok, I promise i’m done :innocent: I really don’t mind the public fueling options, and I admit that is harder to implement without it being a currency, but I feel that is the “big change” that would be put in place should they just add slots to larger portals… (either way the whole portal fueling system gets rewritten, but this way currency system doesn’t get rewritten in addition to portal system).

1 Like

Im against this for the sake of Exos more than anything. Exo spawns, 40 open portals for an hour to the Exo just sounds like a nightmare on a number of levels. In addition, adding yet more overall portals even for a short period of time would probably create even more lag than we already have.

Stop making huge portals pretty much solves the issue. While I’m sure that isn’t popular opinion, I have 2 “semi-large” portals from my Sov to TNT and Dragon Hubs, but I only use those so people can reach my shops easier. I don’t deem them necessary though. Having ran DK Mall for a good while, fueling the VERY large portals there were quite painful, but even those portals I question how much use they actually got. I think a good bit of them were mostly for visibility and doubt they were used a whole lot.

These sadly are a grind by choice again because why does anyone (with the exception of major hubs) need 5, 10, 50+ portals? The most common reason I get is because they can… or for convenience. But, obviously it isn’t too convenient with all the complaints of portal cost.

In total I counted my portals I have 8 not including my sov. If I counted my newest Sov I have 12. 4 that last 7 days, all the rest last 5 weeks+ as they are local. I never have Oort issues and I haven’t been on a hunt in about 3 weeks ish.

I love your ideas though and while I may not totally agree with them, I welcome any ideas… the game needs more ideas.

All I gotta say is I would be super mad if people were just fueling my portals. Any of them.

oort shards as curency??? HELL NO !!!

so at this point i won’t be able to buy anything becouse im not hunting

no tools
no resource to craft
no food, no potions
no building materials?

only option left?

3 Likes

I agree this.
Cause its player drove economy its just matter of time People start treating oort like gold.

I Feel this going To be just few bigger players selling stuff not giving a chance To Casual players.

And as said if you are not hunting you are Pretty much doomed by this logic.
Cause everyone obviously wants oort.

2 Likes

I like your ideas. Micromanaging inventory space isn’t fun.This would also help to keep track of how much oort I have left if it was in a currency wallet instead of scattered around storage chests.

I don’t think this would be a bad idea to have Oort a currency, but I wouldn’t want it to be used in the way coins are.

I don’t think it’s a lack of oort personally and just increasing fuel size/capacity in a portal is fine. But overhauling the whole economic system is probably not that smart as the economy is fairly decent minus the lack of players.

As a test, I put out some request baskets for Rough Oort and Oort Shards and they filled up pretty much instantly once they price was shown on BUTT. To me this shows there is no lack of Oort and I know there isn’t a lack of coins as I can generate about a million or so every few days if I really push myself.

All that said, Oort being “stored” like currency is not a bad idea, but using it as a form of currency is not a good idea. Granted, it is used as a form of currency as it is. I had someone trade me Oort shards for items and items for Oort shards via hand trades.

2 Likes

I would prefer compact oort as its being suggested numerous times.

Takes smaller space etc.

you can put roughly 40k rough oort To biggest basket…

I havent played the game so i dont know how its atm but When i played i prefered shard basket as i got the xp from them.

2 Likes

Why would that make you mad? Keeping your portals up for free, doesn’t seem like a negative.

1 Like

I assumed it was sarcasm lol

2 Likes

The too real struggle of determining sarcasm through text.

1 Like

I’ve played other games that had currency wallets for currencies that could not be used as a method of trade. Guild Wars 2 has a ton of different currencies in their wallet and most of them are account bound. They are for trading with particular NPCs or particular types of content.

I’ve also played games that had wallets for storing items in a bank. It was used as a way of managing inventory and keeping track of items when there were a large number of heavily used in-game items. A lot of the time, only a certain amount could be kept in the wallet, and the rest had to be stored in some other form of storage. About enough would go in the wallet to let you go about normal activities without running back and forth to storage, and any extra had to be placed into chests/lockers/bank. I’d be happy with something like that as well.

1 Like

So long as Oort could not in any way be used for purchases, outside of the natural buying oort from a shop stand or selling it for coin, I’d be on-board with it for sure.

Considering just how vital it is for a key feature in the game? Yeah, it would make sense to have it stored as such.

If it is at all able to be used for purchases outside of the aforementioned, I agree it’d end up being the ‘big currency’ akin to keys/earbuds in Team Fortress 2 trading, compared to, say, the Refined Metal in the game, which would be Coin in this game;

Nobody uses metal to buy unusual hats, and likely very few would use coin for purchases, if Oort was a higher currency.

1 Like

I think the storage of it like that is fine.

I was thinking about this and the scenario I see is this:

• I have a lot of Oort and can sell it at 400coin per.
  • I want to buy a ton of gleam for a million coin using my Oort.
  • I sell my Oort for 400coin per to gain a million coins
  • I buy the gleam for million coin

In essence, I just used my Oort for purchasing Gleam. Now I know that it isn’t a direct trade, but in that scenario “technically” Oort is the currency.

If there were no coins in the game I’m fairly sure that Oort would be used as currency.

Second scenario without coins in the game:

• I need to buy an item
  • I use whatever is the most wanted material as a trade for said item. (bitter beans, lucents, oort).
2 Likes

Hadn’t looked at this since the day after I posted and saw the comments were basically just nitpicking the specifics of the little side ideas I added… “Why did I think this time would be different from every other random idea thread?” But I’m glad to see some discussion developed :slightly_smiling_face:

They don’t need to be USED as currency. I slapped that on as an extra possibility. The basis of the idea is only about them being stored as a quantity. You can disagree with my personal sentiment on shards being a grind or the specifics of implementation and utility, but don’t base your opinion of the idea on minor details that can change.

I’ll approach ‘ideas’ posts differently in the future… Core idea in the main post then I’ll spoiler tag additional details to make it clear that they’re separate thoughts. Anyway…

False equivalent. It won’t be a currency and it’ll have the same craft times it does now. Minting is instant, like timber, which gives 0 xp. Your idea on extra slots for bigger portals is legit though dude. Works just like spark gennies. That should definitely be part of the larger discussion on improving portals.

They wouldn’t work on exos. That idea is for them to act like portal blocks, which have to be plotted and connected to another. Only difference is that they aren’t designed to stay open indefinitely so they just cost the hourly rate of shards- another arbitrary detail that can change… and it’s an idea that hinges on two other ideas becoming real so it doesn’t really warrant a strawman argument.

We need a better forum layout.

Adding onto my last comment, regarding the “core idea”, I do think we should be able to hand trade them the same way we trade coin. I agree with dropping the idea of using them in stands and baskets.

2 Likes

They should still work in the plinths.

Not everyone has time or ability to make every sale a hand trade.

The storage idea is nice especially if portals can fuel from your stash.