Okay so I know this isn’t going to get taken seriously, But the coin based economy I feel isnt working at all.
I think a shift is needed, To a better economy that betters fits the one of the best features of boundless; Portals. This is not to discuss how to balance this, Its the fundamental idea of the change.
So yes I am suggesting coins be removed, But my suggestion is a simple one. Convert all existing coin to Oortshards and make the following changes and lore changes;
- Portal costs and the oortshards recipe would need to be re-balanced. Thats something the devs would need to work out. This is not something I am trying to change here. Merely the idea of consumable currency.
- Oortshards are no longer a item, but are instead shown in your inventory in place of Coins.
- Portals still use Oortshards as Fuel.
- Warping would use Oortshards instead of coins. Keeping in line with the theme that Oortshards fuel teleportation between places. (@Oggieogham’s Suggestion)
- Beacons instead grant Oortshards rather than coins, They gather traces of Oort Energy from those who wander by thus generating Oortshards.
- Shop Plinths and Request Baskets do their trading with Oortshards also, They consume a small amount(currently tax) for the energy needed to process the transactions.
- Objectives also grant Oortshards. Rewarding citizens with traces of Oortian energy for completing them.
- Meteors continue to drop Oortstone, A Crystallized Oortian energy from the universe.
- Extractors continue to turn Oortstone into Oortshards, But maybe instead have a efficiency mechanic worked in based on power coils. This is again up to the devs as its balance.
I think this would have large benefits for the game as a whole;
- It gives players who do not wish to trade or hunt a way to enjoy one of the best features of the game; Portals.
- It would also place a fair demand on Oortstone to actually be traded and consumed by portals.
- Tax on trading could be reduced so it does not feel soo harsh to buy/sell for a profit.
- Those running portal hubs would find it easier to maintain there portals, as the fuel would be more easily available.
- Liven up the economy and remove stale wealth by making those with more coin more likely to use it to fuel portals, thus meaning they need to work at making more.
Examples of this sort of economy;
- Path of Exile - This game if you do not know it, has no coins. It instead uses currency items that all have different consumable uses. Thus keeping the economy alive through the currency being used to craft.
- Wakfu - All currency in the game has to be made, They use a currency system where you have to mint your own coins.
Please suggest others and ill update the post. Votes are appreciated.
- Yes, I do support this change.
- Maybe, I am unsure if either are the correct choice.
- No, I do not support this change.