What if we had planets/server merge?

what if we had a planet merge like servers have a server merge.

EU servers Gloviathosa + Finata makes Finvia or Glovata as an example

this will bring players together, reduce costs as well! and of course, this means you have to redo it
but I think a redo of something is better than quitting and de-motivation right?

just an idea really, for me I don’t really care if a merge is happening if it makes the game better

I do know server merges is a thing to do when needed, my thought is that boundless needs this too
because planets get added if planets get overpopulated.
even now with the sovereigns, I myself think that it will be better for boundless

what is your thought? :thinking:

tiny incognito poll? I’m pretty curious myself

• yes
  • no

0 voters

1 Like

I had this as an idea a long time ago, two exos colliding or two barely-used worlds. This is a good idea but the way I was shut down was that people wouldn’t like their worlds being deleted via planet merge.

1 Like

ofcourse it comes at a cost but even the devs could hold a poll and do a voting of some sort and see what the community says, i think it will be a huge change in these times

i rather have a merge and start over knowing that people are on the planet, than to go on a planet and dont see people for days…this will also gives boundless a restart
either wat im here until the end and will have my gleamclub until the bitter end!

3 Likes

It won’t matter much as many people are on Sovereigns. It may cut down on costs though.

2 Likes

would lowering the per world player cap from 80 to 40 save anything ?

I’d be down for a total wipe where we get entirely new universe with fewer worlds and new palettes, all stuff goes to reclaim, we keep our plots. (maybe limit the amout of plots a player can place per day for some time to give everyone a chance to claim some nice piece of land) perhaps some new prefabs and biomes in worldgen as a treat ? maybe room for some voting there too

11 Likes

If it comes to “the game or the worlds” I would volunteer my homeworld and all of my builds in a heartbeat. I can rebuild as long as there is a game to rebuild in.

9 Likes

no thanks to merging and losing my land/builds … but if it can be done and keep it, then … sure … don’t see why not

think this is a non-issue, though, no?

2 Likes

If everything I had built on Finata was wiped I’d be done with the game.

The problem with conducting a poll on the forum to determine something like this is that not everyone that plays the game uses the forum. I’d be pretty mad if I was one of those people and logged on to find my planet was gone.

The idea should be to engage with all players and not just the 20 that currently use the forum!

4 Likes

it’s not a poll from the devs, so don’t worry, plus i don’t think they’d take such a poll as representative of player opinions.

that said, they can also do whatever they want, tbf :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Technically, this would have to be a wipe & restart, not a merge.

There’s no way for them to actually merge two planets and retain all of the current builds as they are. The coordinates would be off, the server names that all assets are tied to in the database would be different, etc.

If they need to lose a few planets, I don’t think it’s fair to make some players sacrifice their builds, while others get to keep theirs. I also don’t think it’s fair to allow a few players on the forums decide for everyone else which planets should be kept. Either they need to do a wipe/restart with fewer planets, or they don’t. Those types of decisions are up to Square & WS. None of this is on the table though, so this topic is really just conjecture.

If Boundless wasn’t a procedurally-generated sandbox & was a MMORPG where NPCs own most builds, it might be different.

9 Likes

quite … also, there’d be probably more to be gained with compression algorithms, spinning up additional instances of ■■■■ on demand when needed, etc.

i’d imagine that there’s an awful lot of that kind of stuff already in play anyway.

Not voting because i am a bit divided between the two… to be fair if we keep all the mats and plots np probably will have Terra Nova rebuild faster to where i am at that moment.
That said again all that work… :expressionless:

If this would be implemented doesn’t this then also kind of say nothing is permanent anymore because X months later the decision may be made that there will be a merge again if and when the player base drops again… (players defeated because they had to start over again)…
Ok if builds move completely (without issue) then it isn’t a “big deal”. But if it doesn’t… not everyone is as crazy as me :wink:.

I feel a no simply because it goes against gleam club fueling a build to wipe it. Either wipe it all and start universe 2 or not at all. Even fair for all to start over rather than a few planets losing the builds.

I’ve just started building Brown Town again. I oppose this idea hahaha

5 Likes

This, or is it possible for caps to be shared between two or more worlds? Like, even if the worlds can’t be literally merged together, as far as the servers are concerned they are the same thing? Not to be mean to Flan - it is a gorgeous world and I built there - but no way it needs a cap of 80. Even in the past when things were busier, rare to see any others there even when an exo was off it. Ones like Flan, probably four or five could safely share the 80 cap and be fine. And either that or individual cap reduction is something that could be easily changed if they’re ever ready for a promotion.

Though, this is assuming it will cut costs… Phil sort of made it sound like overall players was what it scaled with.

Personally i think we wouldve survive with same amount of planet as we had In EA. We have almost as much eu planets now as we had planets In EA.

If we would have smaller amount of planets the game would Feel more alive as it would be more compact… At least this is how i Feel.

They made mistake adding few eu planets just cause of some free weekend players.

1 Like

I’m having trouble understanding how wiping people’s builds would bring people together or improve the game in any way, shape, or form.

11 Likes

Yeah I would probably quit the game if my stuff was wiped. I have played dang near every single day since I started playing. Been playing round about 3 years give or take a few weeks. Barely a hand full of days that I’ve not played

5 Likes

The point of any wipe would be to lower the cost to run the game. Square Enix has stated that they pay for running the servers out of proceeds they get from Steam. They have also stated the game is not covering the costs to run the servers and that the cost to run the servers is scaled to the number of players. Unfortunately at this time the size of the universe is more related to the Steam Free Weekend when we peaked at over 1000 concurrent players that the existing player base.

If the option was to shut down the game entirely or shrink the universe to a size that matched the player base so it quit loosing money every month, then what is the other option? Does it improve the game by wiping and resizing the universe? No it does not, and we will probably loose players. But the alternative is the servers shutdown and the game is gone.

2 Likes

OF COURSE, if it was possible to merge planets, have the beacons copied and pasted to all fit puzzle-style on a fewer number of planets, hence reducing the total number of survival worlds to 20, I’d sign up for that. And sure, people would be like “oh noes, now I’m surrounded by other players, and the world doesn’t look like before, and the border of my beacon don’t match with the world anymore!”.
Thing is it’s impossible for that to happen for so many reasons.

To me, it’s a pointless exercise. It’s no surprise that it turns into a debate about ‘wipe’.
Every way you cut it, players are going to be frustrated (euphemisms FTW) as their money spent on Gleam Club and their time spent in the game wouldn’t have been respected. People will be P- (oh, sorry, almost wrote the P-word, wouldn’t want to frighten the kids who read this forum) ANGRY at Square Enix and/or at Wonderstruck.

It’s the same damn discussion EVERY SINGLE TIME someone mentions a wipe in some form or another (because yeah, the ‘merge’ idea is not a thing that can happen as described, so it realistically means that someone would have the awful job of deciding who’s builds are wiped or not - show of hands, who would seriously want to do it and then be spat on by all of those who lost their stuff? Yeah, thought so), and it’s been said by James that a wipe will not happen. Now you might argue that he said that then, and things have changed since.

It all boils down to some people being fine with starting the game from scratch over and over VS some people prefering to uninstall the game forever if they lose their build. I’m even wondering if there’s no ground for some players to band together and sue Square Enix/Wonderstruck if a wipe or shut-down happens, in relation to the sales of Gleam Club, Cubits, the unkept promises, all of it. But that’s another topic, and I’m certainly not informed in that domain to talk about it.

Although I am definitely afraid that a shut-down could happen, I also tend to think that it would be in Square Enix’s best interest to NOT shut-down the servers and keep them running for AT LEAST a few more years, at least until James admits officially that they’re moving on and fully stopping support on the game, or (most preferably, obviously) that they’re coming back to work on the game and finish what they started.

I think it’s useless to have this discussion, as the REAL issue is how unacceptable and disrespectful it is of James toward the players who spent so much money and time on his game, to bail and work on BG3 and stay silent for A DAMN YEAR in regards to what they intend to do with Boundless, and allowing a discussion like THIS ONE to even happen.
When things change (whether a wipe, a merge, a server shut-down, the devs coming back for good or announcing the development of a new game), James is gonna have a whole lot to answer for. Gonna have a lot of work to salvage their rep.

Oh who the fudge am I kidding, we all know when/if James & co fully comes back and announces anything else than a server shut-down like update 249 being released, there’s gonna be a big bunch of sheep going “YAY, JAMES, THANK YOU SO MUCH, YOU’RE THE BEST!”.
< sigh >

4 Likes