What turns you off playing Boundless?

Nothing until tonight. I was mining gleam on the eco when i had another player regen the area (yes he knew i was there, he’d been watching me). I ended up going to sanctum because i want going to mine gleam in lava with someone i didn’t know because the lava freaks me out as is, and then he goes and regens on me. I came back after a while and there we’re other players there so i just went back to sanctum. I tried back multiple times and these two guys were there every time. When my husband got home he tried to mine some of the gleam and they kept breaking the blocks out from under him trying to knock him in the lava. He wasn’t trying to mine right next to them, he was trying to share (and there is a lot of gleam in that one location,plenty for multiple people to mine). But they were being extremely rude and then said they were going to continue to report us. So yes I’m am very upset and not sure if i want to continue playing.

6 Likes

Report the players.

7 Likes

Report them

1 Like

I did, i don’t like reporting people. But i was extremely discouraged, couldn’t even enjoy exploring the rest of the EXO, ended up just getting off and going to bed.

3 Likes

Is it against the ToS for someone to throw a regen bomb at you while gathering? I’ve had it happen while deep underground and ended up on the surface…

I’d say it is if the intention is there to grief you. By accident is fine, but following it up by trying to knock someone into the lava… probably not fine.

3 Likes

Actually it’s a heavily used farming technique. But that usually implies cooperation and consent.

Regen bombing someone out of their mine or using it to create a hazard is definitely griefing. Same for randomly showing up and regenerating an area that someone else is already farming with a different technique.

3 Likes

We need everyone’s help reporting people like that so we can keep them out of the game

1 Like

This isn’t appropriate for people to act like this. Do know that overall the community here is pretty giving and fair. Sometimes there are disagreements in the forums but none of us would condone those actions you experienced. Overall I’ve seen plenty of people support and help others in game. I’m sure if you’re needing a few more of that gleam or something that there might be someone that has some extra.

1 Like

don’t get discouraged, what happened to you is quite rare

2 Likes

There have been a few times I took a fall, health went low, tossed a heal bomb, ended up on surface in lava, dead. It’s always about that time I realize it was a regen bomb not the heal one I tossed. Now I forge em in different colors to keep track of what I’m tossing.

That aside, regening someone else on purpose is a form of griefing. Mistakes happen, but doing it on purpose is just wrong. Report em.

As to what turns me off playing boundless. The lack of cool stuff to use all the beautiful ash I have around. I can’t compact it, if I use it for brick I loose it’s color. Really only thing I can’t use and have too many pretty colors too waste.

1 Like

Currently my burn out is from the lack of automation. To have a fully stocked shop all the time, it gets really tiresome to do menial tasks repeatedly.

I’ll return at some point, just not motivated at the moment due to the daunting repeated tasks to hit the goals I aim for.

6 Likes

(This might have turned into a rant… sorry!)

What turns me off playing Boundless as a new player of < 1 month:

Having absolutely no idea whether the beacon I’m currently in belongs to an active player or not. Shopping on beacons that haven’t been updated in weeks or months is usually a waste of time - and frequently a trap for new players (the remaining stock is typically extremely overpriced)

Resource rarity on T1 worlds - it should be easier to get off-world with an augment.
Atlases don’t help you find your first piece of iron.

If you’re a new player, making your own tools in general is a massive trap that seems like “what you’re supposed to do” in this kind of game.

Which worlds you can warp to with an augment is non-intuitive, and as far as I can find doesn’t even have an out-of-game resource.

Not having global chat - I would love to connect with some of the new players that started playing with me from Humble Bundle, but there’s no way for me to contact them. They’re not going to be here, they’re not going to be anywhere that’s marked as a “community spot” in game because they’re not a part of the game community yet.

Portal hubs. The tutorial quest needs to instruct you to buy two portal blocks and set up a portal to a hub (including direct verbiage about buying tokens from a shop stand, some notes about not buying everything because this is how it works, etc).
The experience as a player with a base on a T1 world without a portal to any major hub was… pretty bad. You need to remember to add every hub you visit to Locations if you want to get back where you came from.

Beckon as a starting planet. This planet sucks without grapples. I don’t think I need to say anything else.

EDIT: I lied. I have to say something else. This game has absolutely phenomenal world generation and Beckon makes a GODAWFUL first impression. I stopped playing the game for a week after I started partly because I thought the game’s worldgen was just terrible. But no, it’s just Beckon.
ENDEDIT

Skills before level 50.
I can’t build properly without using skill unlearn points to temporarily unlock precise chiseling.
I can’t mine properly without spending 6 skill unlearn points every time I spec out of hammers - because the community forges their T* breakpoints as if you’re fully skilled.
I settled on gathering for money because you just need to 1hit without aoe, which is doable unforged.

The portal, precise chisel, and mass craft, and tax skills.
You need to make a choice as to which parts of the game you are allowed to play.
Mass crafting feels required - without it you waste additional time/money gathering more materials
If you don’t take precise chisels, you are Not Allowed to build (the primary draw of the game!) (Yes, you can probably show me an example of a nice build without precise chisels. I don’t want to build that.) If you want to build at a low level, you’re going to be burning those respec points every time you get bored of mining and decide to build for a change.
The portal skill effectively tells new players “having a portal on your own land costs 2 respec points”. This caused me to delay opening my first portal quite a bit, causing a lot of early-game annoyance with travel to portal hubs that advanced players Literally Never Experience because they are surrounded by portals at all times.
If you don’t take the tax epic, you are Not Allowed to open a shop with competitively priced goods and still make a profit. This one you can’t even respec out of.

Crafting is all of these problems X10000. I am also additionally put off building by deco crafting being locked behind so many skill points. I want to make blocks of the color of the ones I’ve mined.

I haven’t done any level grinding on my char yet, and I don’t really feel like doing that for an alt for any of these things.

11 Likes

Really good feedback
Hope it gets read

I started on beckon it’s awful. Game should give you a starter grapple

4 Likes

I know this thread isn’t supposed to be belittling people’s comments about why they’re turned off of boundless but I just want to respond and say this game doesn’t have a dead economy and calling it dead is flat out wrong. Maybe you were in the wrong places. But I’ve never had to craft my own tools, forge my own tools, or craft really any of my own building blocks. I make 10s of thousands of coin every day or so just by gathering and selling gathered materials. Your lack of coin isn’t a sign of a dead economy. The economy works if you know how to use the shop scanner in game or BUTT out of game to find who’s selling what you need or who’s buying what you’re trying to sell.

3 Likes

Power Outages, Internet Outages, Steam being down, waiting on patches to load…that’s about it

3 Likes

And it could stay that way. If you’ve got something that is going to be helpful, definitely send them a friendly PM to say “Hey, I say your post in the turns-offs thread, did you know about [insert topic here]”.

Beyond that, you don’t need to defend the game. You have to assume the devs are smart enough to read between the lines and judge whether things raised here are NPE and knowledge issues or real game balance issues and develop a plan to resolve them (or not, if they think it’s not of overall benefit).

6 Likes

Having gameplay in a game be dependant on a 3rd party unofficial source of information even if it uses a sanctioned api provided by the game is a sign of terrible UX.

11 Likes

I won’t dispute that. I think the shop scanner needs to be heavily added to for us to be able to find information that’s similar to what’s provided in butt but in game.

I just hate hearing things like “the economy is dead because I don’t have enough money to do anything” I was simply stating the economy is not dead by any means. I do agree we need an update to the shop scanner for sure to give us more complete information

1 Like

This topic has 68K views , what does that tell you about the state of the game . Telling people to leave if they don’t like it , is not a solution since the vast majority of purchasers have done just that .

9 Likes