What turns you off playing Boundless?

I wasn’t going to respond to this, but you guys have hit real close to home on some of my feelings…I started playing Minecraft with my kids when they were very young. They are adults now, and I in turn am old, lol. Boundless hit very nostalgic feelings, while also hitting entirely new notes. I appreciate that it has many things MC does not, but agree that things like npc’s and “redstone” type circuitry (which have been around in MC for over a decade) would improve the experience by leaps and bounds :thinking:

2 Likes

I used to play Minecraft tekkit on a private server with my tf2 clan. Hm that was… 2011? It was a good year.

I bought Minecraft last November to have something else to play and experiment with.

I believe it was removed from the in-game menu as it breached some T&C’s with Steam

1 Like

I think that’s one of the main reasons discord exists; it’s an optional secondary scren for MANY games. Having a built in second screen would limit people who cannot use it, especially those on PS4. Also, when BUTT was working and other information sites, those were pretty much secondary screen things. Instead of needing to pop up the knowledge tab every time you want to see how to craft X or Y, just look it up on the Boundless Info site. Honestly that kind of addition would only slow down progress that could be made in other areas which also requiring people to run 2 monitors.

Now if they pulled off some sort of multibox support, I’d be interested in the two screen idea, but as it stands there are so many things you could run on 2-5+ screens as it is I don’t see why they should/would put more time/people/money into something as such. - release titans, more monsters/combat features. Maybe some gear; they need to review the Oort Online handguide post that’s on here and try to fill in what is missing off of that.

Lack of deeper MMO content:

2 Likes

This is not intended to be an open discussion thread on other players opinions of what turns them off from playing Boundless. Keep those types of discussions and any ideas stemming from them contained to the rest of the forums please.

53 posts were split to a new topic: What turns you off Boundless sideways discussion #396

What is turning me off right now… is seeing people quit and giving away all of their hard work. The fact that people have played and loved this game so much that they have hoarded incredible amounts of items, just to give it away instead of reclaiming it in case you eventually do add the content that was announced back in 2015-2018(?) really is heart breaking. These people played the living hell out of this game, and now their faith is gone to the point where they don’t even care to save what they built. It’s honestly soul crushing. It’s like when I quit WoW every few expansions, but I still have my characters, in case the game finally becomes what it once was/what it was to me, or how I’d like it to be… But instead I say “never again” and delete my characters or give them away, not even (attempting to sell)/selling the account.

EDIT: It’s like having a favorite toy that you play with so much that it wears down and breaks/you finally lose interest, but it’s something that was promised to get better/bigger and advance the more you use it… meanwhile your mom has been dusting it off, polishing it, using hot glue to keep it together, but never really adding anything substantial. Only minor “oh shiny” type of things.

5 Likes

My first guild, one of the co-founders left me his place and all his stuff. I waited months to see if he would return before claiming it.
I miss having him around in game :cry:

3 Likes

To be honest, I’m not planning on “quitting” the game or any such thing, I put a lot of effort into all the stuff I’ve accumulated in my play time, but I’m just not feeling a pull to play right now. To me, a lot of stuff still feels chore-like in-game (farming is a big one for me, despite the fact I find it generally appealing) and the new skill point limit per page will help relieve some of that when it arrives…

On the other hand, there’s also nobody pulling my attention to the game anymore. I don’t even know which of my few friends are still playing but while I’m not really in a massive need of a community feel to be playing, I do prefer doing things with others a lot of the time, especially hunts.

At the moment I’m only checking in on the game to fuel beacons every so often. Although I have a lot of stuff I’d like to be working on in-game with regards to builds, I would kind of rather wait for the way skill trees are going to work with the next patch and this seems to have killed my motivation to play until then. I also don’t like the XP changes but I’ll likely just live with them in the end.

I guess I’d be lying if I said I’m happy with the state of the game, I don’t think I am really, probably because it has felt like there have been fewer and fewer additions over time. And like I saw someone else mention recently, a lot of stuff just feels… lacking polish, and has a half-baked feel sometimes.

That’s not a stab at the devs, because I’d rather have more content overall than not, anyway! It’s just an open expression about how the game still feels at times, despite the fact I’ve been around with the game for a few years now.

Although compared to others I’m a relatively late backer of the game, it has been good to see all the changes that came out with sovereigns and even local hosting because these were things I was waiting to see for a long time.

I realise that my expectations for the game often don’t necessarily line up with what the developers have in mind, this has been made obvious several times before.

But especially over the last two years, I’ve been wondering why content releases have felt so slow. I feel like there has been no good answer to it and maybe there isn’t one. And I know others have expressed similar thoughts as well recently.

Although a long time between releases has been nothing new for quite a while now, it has probably contributed towards my disinterest in playing lately but I suppose it’s not the only reason, some of it has had nothing to do with the game itself too.

6 Likes

Basically this.

The list of people I’ve watched quit the game in the last several months and literally just let their stuff rot (myself included) is endless.

2 Likes

I am a fairly new player and the only thing that turns me off is hearing about how many people are leaving the game and the player base isn’t all the large at the moment. I am a really huge fan of the game and the past few months have been pretty great for me as I am new to the game and everything is … well new.

The community is great even with the limited amount of players, so if anything I am turned off by the amount of players currently playing. I am really pushing my friends to play it and also get more people involved in the game. I remain hopeful that the player base has leveled out and won’t drop anymore and I look forward to an update that brings new players in.

Lastly, the game completely went under my radar, that is why I never played. I never saw an advertisement for it, nothing on Steam … nothing. Not that it wasn’t there… it just never reached me so maybe if there was a bit more advertising on Steam and various other areas it would help some.

16 Likes

The game is awesome, just needs a bit more publicity.

NOT TOO MUCH THO OR IT’LL END UP LIKE EVE ONLINE

3 Likes

I bought Boundless when it released on PS4, but it was by luck rather than design. I had never heard of it and just happened to be browsing the store when it caught my eye. At the time, the preview video on the store seemed low-res so it didn’t attract me by its look. It was the description that made me take a punt on it. Best £35 spent on a game in years.

The community is small, by mmo standards, but it’s dedicated and friendly. If you see anyone on the forum complaining about aspects of the game it overwhelmingly comes from a place of love. Everyone just wants the game to grow and be successful and have all the features previously talked about.

Welcome to Boundless, btw!

7 Likes

I honestly think that a lot of the current ‘meh’ is just beggining of year syndrome.

Because our lives are inherently cyclical and the passing of another year is (even if we choose not to party) an unequivocal marker in time. We question a lot of what we do, even if it’s subconsciously. Thus begets change, even if it’s just acknowledgement of any routine that we may have settled in to.

For me, this has resulted in my subconscious pushing me toward completing jobs that will provide me some real life benefit. Such as finally sorting out the media box, or concentrating on the fifteen million API automations I’ve promised myself and others, or finally ordering my prescription :sweat_smile:

Either way, this just means that it perhaps points to me not spending as much time on in-game projects, and spending more on other stuff.

The one thing I do know is that I will be back in full effect, soon. It’s just an undoing of a top button or two on the shirt, is all. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m not saying this is the reason for all of it, for everyone, or even the biggest reason in those that it IS part of it for. However, I do honestly believe that it’s a part of it, whether we know it or not.

4 Likes

For me, it was the promised features that never showed up. Like dungeons and titans.

10 Likes

While not exactly my thing, I quite do like the thought of those Titans, so long as they won’t be able to be cheesed, and killed without effort.

I’ve been keeping my island place pretty much in “maintenance mode” for the last half a year or so; refilling the beacons there every other month to assure my hard work won’t just poof.

Though I have been back a few times the last two weeks, actually adding to my scenic project every now and then.
However personally, it’s been mental disabilities getting in the way, as well as my friends deciding to stop playing.
Wish I had coin for better fuel, to be honest.

5 Likes

I’d be happy to supply you some coin, or perhaps enough greater beacon fuel to last about…2 years?

6 Likes

Communication (literally its next to non).

I stopped playing few months ago… Think it was 2020 december.

They announced weapon patch… Well the patch after almost half of a year is still not here and we havent even got updated status on that i think.

I still do visit here time To time cause i wanna see if my own predictions were right and see are these devs actually any better than the ones Who promises riches and bunch pf other stuff and just let People hanging.
I wish thats not the case. For me if some dev For some strange reason replies To this… Just DONT… Show it with your action not with Word.

11 Likes

Please add the Giant Monster, the Hunter, add PvP if possible.

1 Like