Whats the estimated amount of people joining boundless?

Mostly out of curiosity - what is the estimated amount of people who’s going to be joining boundless on launch day ?

If Youtubers and social media spread the word about this games release date i’d be surprised if there wasn’t at least 1500 players on release day (i may be way off on this guess), but considering the amount of people who play that other block-based game i’m sure there will be a lot of interest in this game by those players.

I personally just really hope that we’ll get a lot more than that - and that we can get to see a lot of different people around, plus of course, a lot of new worlds to explore ;p

So here’s hoping that the game gets enough exposure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thousands of PC copies of the game were sold back in the day. How many will show up. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thing is besides this forum, other game sites are pretty quiet. Like the game doesn’t exist.

1 Like

Yeah I noticed that as well, which I find somewhat worrying, I just hope I am worrying for no reason.
They did let the press in a couple of days though right ?
So hopefully some preview/reviews are going to pop up on a few sites

I am one of those that got a key from Square Enix and just getting onto the game. I know that from my first stream of the game I got two people interested in picking it up at launch. I also ran into someone in another chat tonight that was excited about it being on PS4. The word will get out there and it will bring some new people into the game. Only time will tell how many.

If you want to help with the hype go to the twitch streams and spread the word that they are live. Use Twitter, Facebook, instigram or whatever social media you have. Also be active in those chats. We streamers love to talk and it makes it more enjoyable for everyone involved if the conversation is flowing. The more people watching streams will mean more exposure and help bring even more people in contact with a very interesting game.

5 Likes

Yeah I don’t mind spreading word around since I like the game. Just don’t care to watch streams. Never was one to watch someone game, when I could be playing the game myself.

1 Like

Hey guys,

Great question, not really one we can give a solid answer to though (crystal balls are too expensive these days).

I know for some people, a release can be quite scary - “what if we don’t get enough players?” “What if we get loads of players and servers die” etc. But you don’t need to be worried about this sort of thing, we’re certainly not… or at least, not in the way you guys are.

I think the most important thing to get out there is, if the game doesn’t attract millions of players (which we’d be surprised if it did!), we will still be continuing development on it; we’re not going to shut down after launch if the game isn’t immediately “successful”. In fact, we’re anticipating the game to be a slow burner which steadily grows as the year goes on - hitting a real stride next year.

In my career so far I’ve been a part of games that release and get hundreds of thousands of downloads, and games that get a few thousand. I can quite happily say, a slow burner of a game is the best kind of game for organic growth and retention. (Let’s leave Fortnite out of this though - there are obviously games that launch, take off and keep on going).

I have a feeling this is the main concern for players here, so just wanted to reassure everyone that the game will continue development regardless. We have a fantastic team, and we’ve recently teamed up with SQEC who are incredibly supportive of us, and will continue to be as we progress through the year.

38 Likes

What you are saying doesn’t make any business sense.

If you guys are pushing the game to launch with an incomplete feature set that would make since, if you were out of money and needed to raise revenue to continue development. However, if you still have capital to build the game why would you not use that to complete key features of the game before releasing and judgement being passed? It is not like the press will give you the same treatment in a year or two if Titans, for example, are added, but you are likely to take heat for their absence at present. Many potential players that might have joined may never give the game a second look.

As for recruiting players in the future. If you don’t get a large sum at launch. How exactly do you think you can recruit them later on down the line? The initial base would be the party that would not only help to grow the game and keep it relevant. Also without a large player base how long with whatever is supposedly left can you last? Microtrans of 300 people, or even 10,000 would not be enough to sustain a company with 20 some people on payroll.

I would assume that there were specific deals in place that required a release earlier than expected. We have seen the time line sped up out of the blue and that must be for some reason that we don’t have the details on. At least we should assume that.

It all comes down to the marketing and how the developers approach that and the game features. Remember that Fortnite was a base building zombie defense game, not a PUBG one. They adjusted the features and things took off even more.

So all of this really comes down to the content and how the team approaches it probably at least over the next year.

5 Likes

It just so happened that @Kirinvar was kind enough to post a screenshot of this in another thread. But it will give you a better idea of what might be possible. Here is the math;

(This is not shown in the photo, but I believe there were 315 trailblazers)

9,225 Explorers

3,168 Aventures

1,170 Wayfarers = 5,000 - 3,830

160 Pioneers = 500 - 340

16 Chieftains = 200 - 184

23 Masters = 50 - 27

4 Oortians = 10 - 6

Grand total

There may be more because I am unsure of the date of the screenshot, however I don’t remember seeing it be drastically far off from this. No data has ever been disclosed on the PlayStation sales so we have no idea on that. But this does give you some idea of what might be possible. Cheers

Oh and I forgot to mention that there are users the bought the game from steam they aren’t counted in this, but once again no data on them.

1 Like

money isn’t the only factor in making a video game… you can’t just throw money at a computer and it’ll instantly spit out code… it takes humans and problem solving. there are soooo many bugs that are worked out of the game before we even see it. even if they had all the money in the world it would still take time to build a game, especially of this quality. They are doing a fantastic job. you (we) just need to be patient. :slight_smile:

I know the game has a legacy of bad press from its release, but No Man’s Sky hit it’s peak player count with the Next patch, and made the top of Steam sales this summer. It got significant press attention with the patch release which helped attract the new players.

There is a viable business model to approach release in this way.

6 Likes