When is the next "Combat" update?

For the longest time one of the most engaging parts of Boundless for me have been the meteor hunts, working together with others for a common goal.

While I appreciate the recent updates to the game, I am wondering when the next “combat” update might happen.

• What happened to the hunter?
  • Has any work at all gone into titans yet?
  • Are we going to get any new weapons soon?
  • How about dungeons? ect…
6 Likes

We’ve had 3 posts in the last few weeks asking for when the next combat update and never had a response from the devs. So I’m guessing it’s not in the timeline for at least a year

2 Likes

They’re usually pretty hush hush though.

3 Likes

In another post we were talking about crafting changes iirc, and James mentioned something about he wanting to do updates in groups, like if they are going to do a crafting update then focus completely on that and do all the important things they have on queue for everything crafting related.

So I assume that it’s the same case for hunting, which means a LOT of work.

We want more weapons, for this they would have to design the new weapons, think of the recipes, new skill tree if needed, balance the whole thing, think of possible boons/augments and probably more stuff I can think of.

Then we have new mobs which also need behavior or AI which is not simple.

So I’m guessing that a hunt update won’t come soon. But it would be nice to know if they have been working on something or not :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

I never hunt it’s so boring. I’m glad other people still do it.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I am glad you mentioned Epics and Skill trees because I think for them to really do a combat update the skill system needs to be refined and overhauled so that new epics fit and make sense.

2 Likes

For me its a matter of being able to talk to people in voice while I do it. If i had to do hunting without voice chat I would be bored to death, but the conversations I have while doing it have made it worthwhile for me.

With that said, I would like to see meteors extended so they feel “new” again, hence why I made this whole thread.

2 Likes

I’d definitely hunt more if there was cross platform voice. But that’s a pretty big ask. I’d be satisfied with merely having new mobs.

5 Likes

It is possible using Discord

2 Likes

Well yes but I meant built in :blush: could also use a group phone call :wink:

4 Likes

You are never happy! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

EDIT: I would like to exchange all the chat system for the hunter update :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

This makes a lot of sense from a development perspective! Instead of doing bits here and there, arbitrarily picking out things and fixing them, they can get everyone behind the same overall issue.

Combat is a huge one, with a lot of work involved. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the new mobs, which have already been modelled for some time make an appearance, or Titans; which have been teased for years.

I’m patient though. I always share my thoughts and concerns, but I understand that they’re a small team that are doing the best they can.

2 Likes

Hehe
I agree though I’d much rather a combat update than voice chat. Still, maybe someday…

4 Likes

I say March. Just a guess

2 Likes

Not necessarily, they just don t talk about future things unless they are ready for release. Happened plenty of times before.

How many times did we see people complain about repairing machines and coils? Loads of times, never a peep from a dev, then they released changes to it.

2 Likes

I used to like it then after a while it became boring, started to feel like it didn’t matter much what you did and it was always the same thing.

Also didn’t help that I like to make ehmm, comments, during hunts, then PURE came and it all became a bit too serious for me no one replying to anything so the social thing was gone too.

3 Likes

Yes, and no. It means I need to listen to two audio sources on PS4 not exactly ideal.

I could use a pc character but then need to get something first so I can talk…

2 Likes

Exactly, because people start begging for them to release it every week. Probably why we haven’t gotten a new roadmap recently. I’m sure they regret putting the hunter up there.

I remember this too, and personally I would rather wait however long for a big update with more than one mob and some combat skills overhaul than one extra mob people will get tired of in 2 weeks.

When you think about all the stuff that likely has to go into a real combat update like a lot of us are hoping for/expecting, it makes sense why it takes so long. Armor/weapon models—designs, balance, how they mesh and move along with the character, mobs—AI, design, hitboxes, etc, combat skills—balance, giving meaning to skills with options so there isn’t one cookie cutter build. Maybe even adding titans along with everything. Server stability performance (this patch).

I would love for the devs to give us an idea of what’s to come and what we should expect, but I doubt we’ll know anything until it goes into testing.

3 Likes

I would suggest participating in the community made events until something does come out.

3 Likes