Where do you steal your builds from? (Sources of inspiration)

Not so much my builds, but building ideas and tips I think from @georgegroeg + @Apt. I also browse Pinterest if I’m having a mind blank

3 Likes

I’ve learnt an awful lot from those 2 and also yourself.

Which reminds me… I really must journey back to The Smelly Couch one day and purchase the blueprints for George’s fish tank… wait, who am I kidding, I’ll unashamedly steal it! :rofl:

3 Likes

:joy: blueprints would be a great money maker, then I could be as rich as you! :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve said it once nine times and I’ll say it again. Talented builders should be the richest people in this game, they are the ones with truly unique skills to trade. I’m sure there will come a day where it will be possible for builders to make coin with their talents (and a system which allows this to occur).

You don’t want this. Currently up to my ears in debt due to giving away all my savings to charitable causes.

4 Likes

hahah wow, but im sure like bill gates after giving away loads of money, it’ll be back :wink:

I mean it already happens in game with some builders. I have paid at least 3 people to build for me and know of 3 more that will build for coin.

1 Like

Nezhvlad Labs on Melancholia is LOOSELY based on the picture below. My significant other is a huge fan. So, I tried to merge our styles. I’m more Gothic/ Victorian in my style. So, you can see which style won out. :stuck_out_tongue:

I generally look for pictures of houses and/ or floor plans to inspire my builds. They come from all over the place.

2 Likes

I’ve also been looking at some real house pics for inspiration. :slight_smile: One thing I sometimes do to kill time is browse Zillow listings, fantasize about what I’d get if I hit a big jackpot or something… mainly beach places in FL and some nice stuff here in the NC mountains. I’ll probably never get any IRL houses like that, but can build all the mansions I want in Boundless! :grin:

4 Likes

I usually google something like “wizard tower” or “medieval house” or anything I want to try to emulate, and I add “fantasy art” to my search phrase to get more ideas (artists are not limited by what an architect would - physics).

Then I pick one or two I like the most, but 90% of the time I don’t make an exact (or close to exact) copy - in most cases I chose to use certain features of builds I find online (be it a front, or the shape of columns or roof). I don’t plan the size and all precisely, so my final build is a mix of inspiration from outside sources and improvising along the building process. Natural features of builds location in Boundless always somehow gives me ideas and I incorporate trees, hill shapes and caves into what I previously pre-planned and that’s why even if I decide to make almost exact copy of something I found online, I still end up far away from that concept.

2 Likes