Where's My Gleam Hiding?

So, I built a gleam platform in the sky.

Now, when I stand on the ground, I can’t see my gleam.

Some stats:

‘ground’ height here is 97
Platform height is 226

Plot size is 3x3

The gleam, when viewed from the ground, is in front of glass. Not behind it, in front of it. Closer to the viewer.

Let’s start at the top:

It’s a super simplified (24x24px) notion of a lantern, i wanted to see if the different colors would help, or of it would look anything like a lantern. I actually created the wood borders and cross beams, along with iron corners, then installed a complete glass layer for the whole 3x3.

Then I went under,e and placed and chiseled the gleam, a couple hundred blocks.

That’s the view from about 30m down. And this is the view from the ground:

A couple of middle distances:

The higher your graphics settings, the sooner it vanishes, as a side note. I can not see it more than 60 - 70m down on ‘high’ but on ‘low’ I can see if for probably 90m.

I went up and put a soil block in place:

And now here’s what you see in the air:

The familiar blocky blur of a single block at ~120m above you. No hint of glass of course, but also no hint of gleam. To be fair my wooden cross members are invisible now, too.

I’ve confirmed this with a couple of people, and I’m not sure if it’s a bug report or an acceptable but unintended feature. There’s not logic to make it seem intentional, right?

I didn’t screen cap it but a gleam block placed up top also rendered from the ground as if a single, midair block of gleam.

Anyways, it’s tripping me out so I thought I’d share.