Blockscape

Stellar Overload

Sky Break

Dual Universe
http://www.dualthegame.com/

Sky Saga
https://www.skysaga.com/en

2 Likes

I’ve heard many great things about Trove. For the others, I’ve either heard mixed things, or nothing at all :stuck_out_tongue:

No Man’s Sky is not a voxel game but it’s very cool :smiley: and SkySaga is cool too. Don’t like Trove and haven’t played the others.

SkySaga looks like it wanted to be a Lego game, but backed out at the last minute. I can’t get behind F2P mmos either. They’re usually so restricting unless you become some type of monthly subscriber.

I’m quite enjoying Astroneer. Pretty good concept and easy to jump into game play. I’ve reached the end of the current content, but still find myself playing!

1 Like

MInecraft, Minecraft is the answer to this.

1 Like

I’d say let’s play because it’s a lot of fun, but I’m in the US so, yea… That lag would be less than tolerable.

Also, @Thorbjorn42gbf I’m going to kick you for suggesting Minecraft. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But why? 'Tis the obvious answer! I have more time logged used just modding minecraft than I have playing terraria.

And I played that quite a lot.

I could never get into Terreria, but I understand the minecraft addiction. I ran a few servers (had at least 50 hours just messing with the plug in configs), made a mod, and just vegged out on it. But come on man! Break the cycle!

Both games are great. Played Terraria and Minecraft on PS4 to the end (platinum trophy). And this without any modding and less content than PC versions. So they must be awesome on PC. :smiley:

2 Likes

Pff if your minecraft doesn’t require 4 gb of ram you haven’t modded it heavily enough.

2 Likes

Minecraft does not count as a voxel just block based game

… Minecrafts voxels are crude but still very much voxels.

A voxel represents a value on a regular grid in three-dimensional space.

Minecraft doesn’t render its voxels as voxels but as a structure with 6 sides forming a cube but the data is still stored and treated as voxels and the game can therefore be called a voxel game.

Either way the voxel games people talk about is more a genre than a technical specification and Minecraft very much falls within the genre.

1 Like

Piggybacking off of what @Thorbjorn42gbf said, gamers seemed to have given the word “voxels” it’s own definition to describe a genre. When someone says “voxel game” most gamers would think of blocks that can be carved down into slopes of varying degrees (without curves).

However, as thor pointed out, there’s more to it than that. I’m not good at explaining it in detail, but I’ve always thought of a voxel as a 3D pixel of an object. Whether that object is one big voxel or 100, it’s a voxel.

Yep pretty much.

Going by the actual technical definition Crysis utilise voxels to a degree where you could call it a voxel game but I hardly think people would group it here…

1 Like

My two other suggestions are Starbound which is not really a Voxel game but also has this buidling and mining game concept. I’m a huge fan, although it is pretty difficult (can be frustrating - don’t know how others are experiencing it). It has a phantastic soundtrack and atmosphere and is ridiculously detailed. Great style in general.

Another building and minecraftesque game is Portal Knights. Therer is a thread already here in this forum. This game also has a very nice soundtrack and is super fun to play.

But I agree to @Thorbjorn42gbf - If there is a game Boundless comes close to than it probably would be Minecraft.

All in all those games have similar game concepts but each has a different style and approach. And none is bad imo.

I was looking at portal Knights, but it looked kind of “kiddy” (I’m 28). Is it for younger players, or is it fairly in depth?

I know Zouls enjoyed it, and he is doing highschool (which should be 17-20 around there), the grind should be pretty hefty though. (Could have changed since the game was brought up.

It’s directed to a younger audience, but also like Minecraft suited for the young and the old ones, since the basic concept is the same in its core. The appeal is that of a fairytale adventure and the characters’ and sprites’ style is kiddy. It has beautiful graphics nonetheless. If your looking for a game which has construction and machine building, then Boundless or MC would be the choice, I believe.

I opened portals to roughly ten worlds and am stuck before an endboss. Right now I simply build a little bit. I didn’t mind the grind so far, but I heard it gets repeatitive (which is probably at 15-20 opened portals). Nevertheless still one can build things. The worlds are relatively small which I personally rather enjoy, or don’t see a s too negative.

If anyone wants to sign up for Sky Saga, feel free to use this code: ThursdayJEZU