Which Skills do What?

Mastery does basically nothing for normal rock (on homeworlds anyway. Other world rocks may have “hardness” now, or just more HP. I haven’t really tried them yet,), but in the case of ores, they seem to have a “hardness” quality in addition to straight HP.

Say that a block has, for example, 2,000 HP and 0 hardness. Your hammer power times your damage bonus from the Power attribute will be directly applied to that. The equation is probably something like 500 hammer power times Attribute Power(let’s say +50%) bonus divided by (hardness + 1). With zero hardness, this is equivalent to dividing by one. Each strike will do 750 damage, because that’s 150% of 500.

On the other hand, say that the block has 2,000 HP and 1 Hardness. Your damage is (500 x 1.5) = 750. With no Hammer Mastery, you get no mitigation of that Hardness. Your damage is divided by (1 + 1 hardness) so you do half damage, or 375 damage per hit.

I’m fairly certain that if this is similar to the actual equation, “Hardness” does not go above 3. I’d need to do a lot more testing to figure out the exact numbers and equation though.

I’d also suspect that, like slingbows, Mastery only has an effect on low-quality hammers in low quantities. Say, a Wooden hammer can only use 1-2 ranks of mastery no matter how many you have, whereas a Titanium hammer can use a max of perhaps 5-6 ranks, and a Gem hammer is in the 8-10 range.

Thus, higher ranks of Hammer Mastery will do you no good if you’re not using better hammers.

Edit: The equation probably subtracts something like 0.33 or 0.25 from the “Hardness” of a block per rank of your Mastery that your current hammer is able to use.

The “Hardness” part of the equation may also be something a bit more nuanced, such as (1+ [0.5 x Hardness]), in which case “Hardness” values probably go up to six or seven-ish. It could also be something much simpler like a flat damage reduction that is reduced by Mastery on applicable hammer qualities.

1 Like

I may have to create a new topic for the OP, as it seems I can no longer edit it

On the other hand, it sounds like the Devs are looking to obsolete it anyway.

Shall I, or is it going to be totally obsolete too soon to matter?

Actually it would be helpful for us to make sure that we’re capturing enough information!

The wiki feature in Boundless might not be released for 3 or 4 or N weeks.

So I’d say it’s still very useful!

4 Likes

awesome… so i maxed out hammers for no reason… what a waste of my time…

…if i knew this 70+ hours ago -_-

Anyway thanks for the info. guess i’ll go back to grinding my face into the keyboard for the next few weeks to gain cleanse points…

ok… so it seams that the Difficulty stat on the tool/weapon = the Mastery level needed to use it without harsh negatives, ie slow swing speed or very low damage.

Mastery 1 = Copper
Mastery 2 = Iron
Mastery 3 = Silver
Mastery 4 = Gold
Mastery 5 = Titanium
Mastery 6 = Ruby
Mastery 7 = Sapphire, Topaz and Dimond
Mastery 8 = Amethyst, Emerald
Mastery 9 = Nothing???
Mastery 10 = Nothing???

also while testing the gold sling bow is bugged and hits for 0 damage at mastery 4 on level 3 and up mobs.

4 Likes

This.

I made the same discovery literally only hours before you posted this.
And only after digging in the forums real hard, creating google spreadsheets and creating a new character to confirm my findings.

This should be bloody obvious in the UI. (And maybe even in the tutorial.)
It cannot be that I’m running around in this game for 100+ hours with literally all my tools (except the hammers) and bow with penalties on them without noticing.

And on the other hand I’m using Iron hammers with Mastery X, because for the first 2 mastery points the gain from mastery was superior to power…

So … yeah … Tools should have a big red flashing notification with glowing arrows on them when you get penalties for missing mastery …
Or something like that :wink:

8 Likes

%100 this^ a Red down arrow on the tool / weapon icon would work nicely.

…im still removing points from it.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for discovering this!

Very useful information indeed. Would be very nice if this was in a wiki/in-game instead of players having to discover it with painful respecs.

1 Like

Honestly even a simple change on the tool/weapon info to say Mastery not Difficulty would make it kinda easier to find…

But still i like @Kirinvar 's idea better

Good to hear! Was already experimenting with a community based wiki. Since there are official plans for a wiki, I won’t complete that and let you guys make something nice of it :wink:

1 Like

Apologies for the confusion here guys. The communication of this feature is poor at the moment, and we will improve it. The intention is to display any modifications (from Mastery or anything else) as coloured-coder changes on the right-click info of the item. I also agree that the name “Difficulty” is unnecessarily confusing, and we should call it “Mastery” or “Mastery Needed” or something like that.

12 Likes

Has grapple mastery any effect right now?

Kirinvar SSHHHHHHHHHHH someone might hear you and put them behind an XP wall.

lol yeah no idea, and i won’t be testing that… the hammers took long enough and cleanse points take about 4 days for me to obtain now… also with the cleanse point system the way it is, im not even sure what happens at lvl 50 is that the end of cleanse points? not more testing? or is it every 500,000 xp (if so thats absurd imo)

i’ll leave the task of testing grapples to someone else, i wish them luck.

As far as reports on the forums go, it looks like you continue to get 1 cleanse points every 500k xp. :see_no_evil:

I’m still using Copper Grapples, so 1 Rank of Mastery should be enough. But I’m not noticing any difference. (Except that its bugging out a lot more. lol)

On the other hand, the difference on copper hammers was not that big either. It’s just more noticable because you need one hit more to break blocks without mastery or enough strength to compensate.

When skills were introduced grapple mastery counted for a lot, e.g. for ruby grapple you needed lvl 3 or 4 so that it would reach as before skills. Recently there was a tweak in how gravity works for grapples so I’m not sure about how much effect mastery has, but some for sure. Before it was affecting both vertical and horizontal range of grapple.

3 Likes