Whilest i was playing another game

Empyrion to be precise, dismantling a zirax base, i had the crazy idea of why are some things from empyrion, as an example, not in boundless?
Like, the paint gun is the best paint–a-block solution of any Survival games/builders i played so far.
Or NPCs with territory, faction Standing and faction quests?
Or a power System which powers all plots w/o the Need of spark lines.
A Combo container System where you can Access one container and see the Option to acces a different one from within the same screen.
If empyrion wouldnt rest on the Unity free assets and not much else it would be way more popular i think. I mean more then 2k Players online around the Clock, w/o private Servers.

I am Aware we will never see real moving entities to be build, as all my quesitons regarding this have been ignored i came to the conclusion that the boundless engine is not able to do this.

I think boundless would Profit from copying Things from other games way more then some People think.
What do you say?
(if People insist i remove the Name of the other game i Play)

1 Like

I firmly believe that copying is not the right way to go about it. One can always learn from others, but not just downright copy paste. The things you like about the game are in that game. When other things are in other games. Wich makes them their own. Ofcourse its a blend of what has come before, but that is how the best things rise to the top. The ones that invent AND improve.

I am not the biggest fan of threads that say “this from that should be in here!”. But i just wanted to voice how i feel about the subject.

I feel as tho Boundless has a lot of potential, at least in my experience. And sure, it’s always nice to dream and speculate of what it could become, not what it should be because of other things. Because we all know what happens when you try to please everyone.
I’m all for dreaming up what the game misses, heck, i even do it myself sometimes. But for now i believe they are taking it into the right direction, and i’m willing to see it through.

The point i’m trying to make is, if you’re thinking this game needs what this game has then your focusing on the wrong things.
And i mean that with respect.

Just my two cents.

Understood, no worrys :slight_smile:
But, what would be the the Right Things to Focus on?
That is a General Question to be honest, as each and every Player has there own Focus.
For me, for years, the Right game is an Amalgam of many other games and Genres mixed into one.
Even pvp has a place there :slight_smile:
Making Building and storing Things, the main Thing you do in boundless unless you a hunter or salesperson ofc!, faster and easyer sounds like a good Thing to Focus on.
Time, our most precious good, is the Thing we should Focus on and how to save it to have more of it when we want or Need it.

Agree with everything you say except this. Time, is different in an MMO. Things are supposed to take way more time if you do them alone, but faster if you work together. And thats how it should stay in my book.

1 Like

That is fine, for you.
Example:
For me my time saved by mass painting Things, with a simply click and mouse over blocks without letting lose of the button, can be used to produce/mine/salvage even more blocks to paint.
Or gettting the Feeling of something has be done this game session compared to i Need another 3 or more to finish the paint Job.

As i think i understand from your words you dont care for your time and you prefere to Play in a Group of People spreading the workload, i think all People in a Group would Benefit from time saved.

while it Looks like i am stuck on painting Things, it is just an example.
IDC if i could paint more or faster in boundless, as the current System to me is a waste of my time, so i dont even use the feature. It is an Option, as Things should be.

1 Like

I don’t see any problem with bringing up features in other games that you’d like to see added to Boundless in some way. It might create a cool idea for something totally unique to Boundless. :+1:

If the devs take inspiration from a feature in another game, I’m sure they’d come up with their own unique take on it and would def never “copy” anything :thinking:

1 Like

Ah you changed your Picture, why oh why! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
(and yes, i know it was awhile ago :))
On Topic:
Well of Course, not an exact copy.

Summary

I have enough trust that the Devs can come up with a time consuming mechanic which will make my Point irrelevant

What we currently have in game is more or less Standard for Survival builders. But there is so much more. And i am not Talking Titans, the mystery yet to be unravelled.
By now the Devs should see that it doesnt Need time consuming mechanics to Keep the Players, but time saving mechanics to get new Players.
Maybe i Need even more Patience then i brought up so far, who knows.

Offtopic:
I cannot believe you changed your Picture :exploding_head:

Yes, I think the devs will add more soon. :+1:

Me? :grin:

After all most ideas come from somewhere else anyways. The goal is to improve on the idea you used.

2 Likes

Yes, Ma^m.

I’ll update it this week or next :slightly_smiling_face:

Still hoping to see sticky pistons and switches. Dunno what they would be called in here but I’d love to build with hidden passageways again. I go back to Minecraft just so I can use them again. Wouldn’t have to go back to Minecraft if we had those in here

1 Like

Only wanna say that I love Empyrion. logged well over 1500 hrs in it. But Boundless is my current love. Because it’s a unified mmo. If empyion had ONE universe everybody played in, I would put eating and breathing second to it. Instead Boundless rivals my need to eat, and supersedes my need to sleep.

3 Likes

That really is the best part for me too. I’m a big fan of MMOs and I love it when they are unified.

I’ve never played the game your talking about, how does it differ over our “spray cans” where we can change block colors in boundless? Some more details would be helpful to sway those of us who have no idea what your even talking about lol.

No, While I don’t mind the idea of NPC characters (like guards, minions, pets), I do not think boundless needs NPCs with beacons or land taking up space on planets.

That could be cool, like an upgraded Spark generator that has a “radius” that it powers instead of needing power lines. Could look like a Tesla Coil or something.

I’m not sure what you are suggesting here. Open multiple chests? a quick pan to nearby chests? I’m not sure, so I can’t say one way or another, but I also don’t know that our current storage system needs too much refinement (maybe some kind of auto storage, but I’m not sure I like that either, just a popular suggestion others have had).

Are you meaning built transportation systems/player made vehicles? It was my understanding that an item dropped by Titans was necessary to “move blocks” in the air. The main site states this as a feature and I quote “If you can triumph in this epic confrontation it is possible to harvest part of their core and make your own flying structures”

Edit: or are you meaning logic gates/automated devices (minecraft redstone)? if so those have been stated to be too taxing on the servers (since if there was enough of them it could cripple the server). I don’t think its limited by the engine of the game, just the practicality of it.

Well going into Detail, the paint gun has a range that exceeds 24 blocks in boundless Terms. It has 2 interchangeable modes, one for texturing and one for Color which together make a block something different Looking then before.
Most importantly for me is the time saved, as it only Needs to be made w/o charges or farming time. Make the gun, start painting. It has durability thou, which is a System we allready have.

Yea i guess that would be a “Restart universe with Content” feature. But quest NPCs and NPC Traders to compete with would be a Change.

A modular container System. But then we are missing volume in our containers so it would be a challeneg to make sense to implement it.
Nontheless, accessing one container on this side of my build to get materials out of the container on the other side of my build would be a help.

So you say, my Information gathering was stopped short because the info is allready out there? Shame on me then :slight_smile:
But making it part of a Group/community Event is the wrong way. But then it is one way, Maybe there will be others.
Well i can see how logic gates and Signals can be taxing on the Server as the smallest Change in the GFX engine Costs ping allready. So we wont see that i guess.

I made this OP more to get my Feeling out that boundless is still lacking in alot of Departments. We have no endgame other then the Goals we set for ourselves. Sure finishing all the feats is a way. But then again, a Goal set by oneself.
Ah well, boundless is a good game but it could be so much more.

1 Like