Why do you lock your doors?

I lock my door because I don’t want people getting into my cave.

1 Like

On LVL5 I cant imagine having a home without locks. I’m constantly being aggroed by creatures outside the walls and over my roof. If my door wasn’t locked, then all those people passing through would leave doors open. I have also distinct “KEEP OUT. PRIVATE” signs above portal from hub to home, yet people still come through the portal looking god knows what.

I want to change my answer to what sztosz said, I like that more.

Private things, obviously.
Proper hermit signs should read: “Trespassers will be shot on sight. Survivors will be shot again.”

3 Likes

Actually, when you press E you’ll read, that trespassers will be fed to spitters and cuttletrunks :joy:

2 Likes

Someone that is less lazy than me ought to post a suggestion for locks to also work when adjacent to portals, making the portal inaccessible (perhaps not even loading) for anyone that doesn’t have permissions on the plot that has the lock.

2 Likes

My main use of door-locks is to lock people away from wips that can trap people without grapples or deal significant fall damage. Also, when I’ve got a mining portal, I don’t want people to contest my mining turf, so I usually add a door and lock that.

Currently, I’ve got some doors in my build leading out to the cave systems nearby for the convinience of everyone. However, nobody seem to bother closing those doors which allows for mobs to sneak inside my safe place and make it not-safe. I’m seriously considering putting locks on those doors.

“Hey, hey, hey! Stay out of my shed!”

If that would be added to the game it would be great if the portal doesn’t appear on the compass.

6 Likes

I lock my doors cause I’m tired of people kiting aggro’d enemies into my base. Then no one closes the door, random hoppers wander into the building and end of story. I lost count how many times I log on to being instantly killed.

1 Like

I get curious when I see a locked door. So i do the good old trick of budging up to the locked door, return to sanctum, then proceed to bump warp fast the door if its not past already. Most of the time its just construction or storage.

Oh hey, that thing says stay out. Let go check that out!

1 Like

dont know if its changed but standing in the beam of someones power coil used to damage its durability. I always keep my coil rooms locked away.

1 Like

I built locks because it was part of the quest, so i had to put them somewhere.

2 Likes

Yeah on that topic, whats the use of locking storage?! It’s not like a door where anyone can use it, and if you have permissions to the storahe the lock doesnt keep you out does it?

This! We had a base on a tier 5 world and people would constantly leave the door open when coming to check it out. I don’t enjoy death penalty on my crafter due to a mighty unkillable spitter or hopper.

i have a door to my house to take a break from the city sometimes
pretty usefull also yo shield off land people could be plotting after they got acces via portal
other examples
-room with signs not public
-the create intrigue at your build you can look trhough doors reveal something secret :wink:
-prison
-need more (can think off many more reasons)

For those that are intent on getting through locks, just dig under the house and sanctum in :smiley:

Edit: I would love it if you could fix this…

I lock my doors because I built a structure that dives down through lava to an articial subterranian mining shaft. I do not want other players using my shaft and taking the resources before I get to them. Sure, players could probably still find a way in, but that would take a lot of effort on their part…

Anyway, I often wonder when “shots fired” will happen in this game and it will shift from a community of portal networks and big, cheap shops to a closed off “guild members only” thing. My guess is that the only reason people do not really build stuff as innaccessible now is because there is no way to build things as innaccessable: you can always just dig under or Sanctum port in for the most part.

I think once the endgame shifts to the highest planets, where only min-maxxed builds can walk and nobody can build a permanent bases, we will start to see more private portal behavior.

That’s you on besevrona?! You put a portal right outside the portal hub and expect people to stay out because of a sign :joy::joy::joy::joy:

I did wrote “Keep out” didn’t I? All those Oorts seem to be illiterate :frowning:

1 Like