Why is Boundless population so small?

Because nowadays, 90% of people want everything for free, for as little work as possible, and they wanted it yesterday…
… instant gratification isn’t fast enough for these kinds of people.

Smile boundless players who read this, you make up that 10% who will work for everything you have in game!!!

11 Likes

lol You’re not wrong, but even the little phone games and stuff that are geared towards them have time/$ gates and they learn to go along with it.
In Farmville, you had to wait for your trees to produce, you had to wait for your goods to bake/craft, etc. In PokemonGo, you have to wait up to an hour for a raid/egg -you can’t just walk up to a gym and battle it. It’s taken me months to hatch some of the 10k eggs.

The one thing I can think of is that all those other games you can pretty much jump in from day one & kinda have an idea of what to do & can accomplish some of it. I am surprised by the # of people that still say this is their 1st MMO type game or that they’ve never played big titles like MC/Tr/WoW/LoL/etc before (which is ok…I’m not saying it’s bad or anything -everyone starts somewhere).

2 Likes

Well, I can just say its just different type of game play style.
You sounds like Boundless pay us the salary or something.
Boundless is just a game, not a job. People play the game for fun which is nothing wrong about it.
I agree that challenge make game more fun, but still should not be too grindy.

The balance between too grindy and challenge is the hardest part, and that will be dev’s topic to working on.

Also as an average mmorpg’s population, i don’t think Boundless even reach to 10%. Maybe 5% or something i guess.

2 Likes

Blows me away how there are all these replies, and it seems like recently the thread was necroed, yet, no one seems to mention the lack of a proper game-wide list for all buy/sell information. I was about to come here and post as I near my 200th hour in boundless - that we REALLY need a centralized, in-game db for buy and sell orders. I can only use myself as an example, but I’m pretty much stuck with no coin. My buddy wants to build, and he logs in, chooses some mats, we spend all our coin, build, and he logs out. He’s not interested in helping me get mats, helping my farm, or leveling into a profession. This game is probably not for him, but, I think this game is something I would really really enjoy a lot more if I could get some reward for all the time I spent leveling, speccing into food and farming, baking pies, etc. The economy is a huge no-brainer to me, why in all creation do we have an MMO, with currency, and no resources for trade? We all lose without a trade system. It would create so much more for new players, and a way forward to greater things. Everyone mentions some player-made projects for trade info, I’m assuming BTN which seems bugged with no current info. I downloaded the client and I’m gonna test it out, even with such low player pop we would have some die-hards who would run the client… but there seems like there is no data for over 3mo. … Anyway, I’ll work on my post… sheez I can’t believe no one mentions this. We need a trade system like, 6 months ago.

That is the thing thou, waiting is easy, if the main factor is just a time gate, that can cater to the lazy play style.

In a real game that requires some effort, like boundless, you actually have to go out, spend a few hours mining, come back, process it all, and then you get to try to build from it.

Active Effort is very much not = to Time Waited.

3 Likes

This site has not been maintained since before the shop scanner update.

One of the developers made this:

1 Like

I be there right there with you!

100’s of new worlds, that would be so amaze ehh round thingies!

2 Likes

Go to the knowledge, find the item you’d like to buy, click “buy from” and you’ll see all the shop stands selling that, on the planet you’re on. It’s not universe wide, but better than nothing.

One of the best places to do this in, are the malls (gyosha, legendville (Tana VII) etc.)

I don’t really understand, we have a trade system and an active economy.

6 Likes

Thanks blud. I still think that Centralized trade info, even for a handful of worlds, IN the game - would help new players to find something to work for, find ways to trade and be successful in this open design, and allow for more health in the market. Ultimately, I think it would help new folks stick around a bit more but hey, what the heck do I know right. Getting sweaty and running through gates with 3rd party tools will work for some of us I guess.

If this tool works that is dope for me, so thanks for that.

3 Likes

I keep hearing this and I guess I do have one question. If players are unwilling to pay $40 for a game are they going to be willing to subscribe to gleam club and buy cubits or are they just looking for a cheap game and a one time expense? The reason I ask is, Boundless is an MMO with ongoing expenses to run the MMO environment. If all they get from players is the initial cash from the purchase, how long can the game run? Eventually without other ways to get a constant cash flow the MMO environment will shutdown. And if we got a huge influx of players that required more planets that certainly gives the developers more one time cash but at the same time in increases their ongoing expenses. We already probably have more planets that is necessary for the player population.

But to get back to the topic, I think while there are some players that do appreciate and like the amount of effort and time it can take to accomplish certain things in the game, I think this is not a large group of players and if they want Boundless to be attractive to a larger group then players need to see real accomplishment in a few hours and not a few weeks. I realize some players will attack this as players not wanting to make any effort, but that is not what I am saying. What I am saying is there is a difference between no effort and too much effort and I personally feel Boundless is on the too much effort side. The game being “too grindy” is specifically why several people I brought into the game no longer play. That is a fact.

1 Like

Dzassak + Trung spawned with that surge

2 Likes

And it’s funny, because the smooth brains against the
consolidation of universe-wide market info would rather new players experience your hardship and struggle for the sake of protecting “planet-wide economy” as if it exists. Keep fighting the good fight… keep us posted on your success or failure with the price harvester. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Long before the shop scanner, I just wanted to have 1 big market where all items are visible to buy or sell… like an auction house. QoL was extremely poor before the scanner went live. It’s like they’re opposed to an auction house just for sake of being opposed to an auction house, but the shop scanner is a nice middle ground. Hope we can scan for forged items soon =)

1 Like

Game favors long time players too much. All the people who have been around for a decent amount of time are filthy rich with huge builds and dominated market spots. It takes a long time to level up and coin earning is slow to almost non existent for new players. I would have been too frustrated and quit if someone hadn’t helped me get going.

5 Likes

“Low tier” drops are increasing in price, some of the beans and as always Oort. Making money is easy!

1 Like

Long time players earned what they have. You can do the same. There’s a ton of ways to make money too.

9 Likes

This exactly.

Plenty of players like myself have actually made very little coin through our entire “game life” from shop stands and the like – and I’d say we are the type of player that can also fit into the description above by @Piblo.

Most of the stuff I have has come from me grinding it myself or making deals beneficial for both, with people who valued what I had to offer. I’ve never really had a “dominated market spot” that turned over any more than 10k coin a week. Simply put, I’ve not invested myself heavily into the economy side of Boundless but I’ve done well enough on that field and on my own that I have been able to have a “huge build” more than just once.

4 Likes

I hope it was a technical issue, I don’t see any other reason to make it just planet wide.

3 Likes

I don’t think the low pop has anything to do with the new player experience, or the coin grind.
Boundless is a grindy MMO at it’s core, and this will, and has already turned away some people, because if you don’t like that style of play, you won’t like Boundless.
Personally that’s the exact reason why i play. I’m not really that keen on the hole building part of the game, but I’m absolutely addicted to the grind. Both the crafting side of it (you can never EVER have too many top tier forged hammers or pies), but even more so the coin grind. I find it extremely satisfying to get richer and richer, and this is only because we have a purely player driven economy in the game, which makes coin extremely valuable.
At it’s essence, it’s my humble opinion that Boundless player count suffers because it is what it is:
A Voxel game or one side and a grindy MMO on the other side.
The Voxel fans don’t like grinds and the MMO grinders don’t like blocks.
It’s really as simple as that.
Sure, we could get better numbers with some decent PR, but i don’t think it would change that much, neither would a price drop really.

5 Likes

Bear in mind, this is a flawed comparison. Long term players earned what they earned a long time ago, when the markets were different. Back then:

• More un-tapped niche markets to exploit and less availability generally
  • Rarer resources were sold at a massive premium (I remember Advanced Coils being easily 10-20k+)
  • No significant cohort of older players who can do anything you can do 10 times better to compete with.

If a new player put in the same amount of time and effort now that an older player did then, I can say with fair certainty that they wouldn’t get as far. The only benefit of being a newer player is easier access to forged tool… if you know to start near a city and how to make the most of the tools you can afford at the beginning… and that usually takes knowledge truly new players wont have.

It’s also worth considering how other games handle the issue of bringing in and then keeping new players. Every game will have its version of this issue, and I’d say most MMO’s regularly aim to smooth the levelling curve and make the earlier progress curve less shallow.

tldr: You might be right, there are still ways to make money. However, that doesn’t mean the current new player experience is good, nor one that will easily retain newer players.